Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you tow a trailer loaded close to the 1500 lb towing capacity (including trailer weight) around 1000 miles highway speed?

I've been following trailer threads and thinking about getting a trailer and the oem hitch to haul 1 or two motorcycles and one other person with camping gear to go on a yearly trip. I'd also use the trailer locally for shorter trips, but I don't think I'd be close to the capacity.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Highway speeds.. 60 mph - yes.
Interstate speeds ... 70+ mph - no.

Though no one on the forum has stated how well the CT pulls a fully loaded trailer, and for that matter, what they were pulling - if it would make a difference in how the trailer rode and the CT pulled.

I definately think the OEM hitch is the way to go though, I'd like to get one and a small utility trailer for hauling stuff locally - mainly landscaping stuff, etc, etc. Just don't have the money to get one and have it installed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I know enough to be the devil's advocate - here is my opinion:

IF ... the terrain is relatively level (and by that I mean very flat) ... IF ... highway speeds do not exceed the recommend speed indicated by the trailer's manufacturer and your car's manual (usually 45mph) ... IF ... your vehicle was recently maintained and you intend on giving it maintainence immediately after your road trip [capable of towing and designed for towing are two different animals in my mind - like getting a dog vs an otter to swim].

Be aware that towing puts more attrition on your vehicle that most people think. Be cautious with wind shear and slick roads. Avoid jack-rabbit starts and stops. Don't drink and drive. Take lots of pictures when you get there and have lots of fun! :D

... there you go, basic parent/child chat. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a Drawtite installed on my CT just about a month ago it was about 345$. I have towed some small items around and it worked great. Now 1500 lbs I dont know how the car would handle it. I could feel much lighter weight on the rear at 70+ MPH but I am myself curious how it would do with alot of weight like maybe a small boat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No, that is why I have my Pilot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts