Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can hear my wiper motor, and the gears all of the time my wipers are on. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal?

I have had Honda's and a slew of American (company) cars and I have never heard this before its really annoying.:confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only thing you are supposed to hear when your wipers are on is the squeegee effect on your windshield. Troubleshoot the issue or get them looked at pronto.

Obviously, check and ensure there is nothing under the passenger and driver's side cowls that is binding the arms. The cars are way too new for the arms to be rusted, but make sure everything is as it should be; free and clear.

If you choose to troubleshoot the motor, do the following... (As always, if you don't know what you're doing? Then don't.)

1) Remove the driver's and passenger's side wiper arms (Cap and Nut, 21 lb.ft)(Use your non-wrenching hand to hold the wiper in place when you torque the nut so as to not stress the motor.)
2) Remove the left side (Driver's Side) cowl cover.
3) Disconnect the Four Pin (4P) connector from the wiper motor.

The four pin connector should have five banks, but only four in use.
0 2 1
4 3

4) Connect battery power (+) to the 1 pin and ground (-) to the 2 pin. The motor should run at low speed.

5) Connect battery power (+) to the 3 pin and ground (-) to the 2 pin. The motor should run at high speed.

If the motor fails to run or does not run smoothly, replace it.

If this is the case and you are going to do the work, PM me so I know you're expecting a response and I'll send you further instructions.

Jay

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only thing you are supposed to hear when your wipers are on is the squeegee effect on your windshield. Troubleshoot the issue or get them looked at pronto.

Obviously, check and ensure there is nothing under the passenger and driver's side cowls that is binding the arms. The cars are way too new for the arms to be rusted, but make sure everything is as it should be; free and clear.

If you choose to troubleshoot the motor, do the following... (As always, if you don't know what you're doing? Then don't.)

1) Remove the driver's and passenger's side wiper arms (Cap and Nut, 21 lb.ft)(Use your non-wrenching hand to hold the wiper in place when you torque the nut so as to not stress the motor.)
2) Remove the left side (Driver's Side) cowl cover.
3) Disconnect the Four Pin (4P) connector from the wiper motor.

The four pin connector should have five banks, but only four in use.
0 2 1
4 3

4) Connect battery power (+) to the 1 pin and ground (-) to the 2 pin. The motor should run at low speed.

5) Connect battery power (+) to the 3 pin and ground (-) to the 2 pin. The motor should run at high speed.

If the motor fails to run or does not run smoothly, replace it.

If this is the case and you are going to do the work, PM me so I know you're expecting a response and I'll send you further instructions.

Jay

Jay, thank you. I will be taking this back to the dealer "AGAIN" the last time the service manager guy who gave me the willies just shrugged it off, amongst a few other things. I only have 1,200 miles on this car and now I'm pissed at the service manager. :cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just read this topic and I experienced last Friday during snowstorm a bad situation with my rear wiper. As you know, if your wipers are on when you are backing up, even though the rear wiper is in "off" position, the wiper will go on for one shot during the backup sequence. So, I went outside to remove this heavy wet snow and I gently hit the wiper when it was in movement. At that moment I heard a weird noise like breaking gears and the wiper stopped right there in the middle of the window. Anyhow, I get the car to the dealer and they need to replace the motor. ???. I guess that the whole thing is only sold in one bulk including motor, gears, etc. I'm scheduled to get it replace next Tuesday under warranty. It seems to me very fragile. I had in the past several cars and vans with this type of wiper with no issue at all.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I just read this topic and I experienced last Friday during snowstorm a bad situation with my rear wiper. As you know, if your wipers are on when you are backing up, even though the rear wiper is in "off" position, the wiper will go on for one shot during the backup sequence. So, I went outside to remove this heavy wet snow and I gently hit the wiper when it was in movement. At that moment I heard a weird noise like breaking gears and the wiper stopped right there in the middle of the window. Anyhow, I get the car to the dealer and they need to replace the motor. ???. I guess that the whole thing is only sold in one bulk including motor, gears, etc. I'm scheduled to get it replace next Tuesday under warranty. It seems to me very fragile. I had in the past several cars and vans with this type of wiper with no issue at all.
Many wiper systems are designed with weak points (linkage or gears) that are supposed to break under stress instead of the arms themselves or the motor / mounts. The idea is that it prevents damage to the more expensive components. (Or you don't have a broken wiper arm coming off your car while driving.)

Considering this I think it's interesting that the dealer said they have to replace everything... but considering it's being covered under warranty, I wouldn't complain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys and gals I took my Crosstour in to my dealer Lynwood Honda dropped it off on a Sunday when they were closed picked it up on a Saturday. I left the car for one week while I was away for work I wanted them to:
Check out the wiper gear noise.
Check out this funny "CLUNK" noise when i put the car in to reverse.
Adjust my parking brake (it was not holding on Downtown Seattle Hills)

My dealer did absolutely "nothing" they called me to say my car was ready and when I picked it up the mechanic that looked at the car wrote that there was nothing wrong. Better yet the service manager that I picked the car up from was having a bad day and was an ass.

When I asked the service Manager if they adjusted the parking brake he said "no the brake is the same as another Crosstour on the lot." I was not going to argue with him, I told him that was not the problem, and he began to quote to me that all of the issues I wanted looked at were the same as the other Crosstour's on the lot, and I should have explained to the mechanic what I wanted done (??? is this not why I called and made an appointment, and spoke to a service writer for a long time???)

Over the years I have given this dealer all of my service as well as friends and family's service. I'm in between pissed and shocked at how things went.

I'm going to drop the car off at Seattle Honda and see what they can do. When I explained my issues to them they wanted the car so they could call the Honda tech line and dig deeper in to my issues.

Sorry for the venting, it is just not easy for me to drop off my car, I travel for work (company car) and am home at odd hours. I help take care of an 80 year old parent with dementia and the last thing I want to do is argue with a service dealer. Just for you all here I work in the Automotive parts business for a fortune 200 company, I sell auto parts on a grand scale. So I'm hoping to not come across as a crackpot when I'm concerned about a couple of issues on my new $30,000 plus dollar car. I love my Crosstour and want it to last for a while.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Good luck with the new place Steve.

I will tell you that I mentioned that same "clunk" to my dealer, and they seemed to think that it was normal. They checked all the mounts, and the fluid levels were fine.

It doesn't happen all the time for me, which is why I thought it was a mount problem (only happens when everything is in the right spot type of thing) but they said don't worry about it.

Best case: I never have any trouble.
Worst case: I have trouble but my concern was documented while still under warranty (for some negotiation leverage).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts