Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a stone hit the CT windshield yesterday. Did a half inch horizontal crack at eye level on the drivers side. Had a company come out to the house and inject some kind of material in the damaged area. No improvement, the problem is when sunshine hits the area it flares up and distracts from the driving. Will contact my insurance company and see if they replace the windshield with that small of a crack. What a pain. Anyone have this type of a problem?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes. I've actually had a new windshield installed, only to shatter, yes shatter, 15 minutes later when hit by a pebble. It was installed wrong and they replaced it for free.

My windshield in my F250 has being installed 6 times by safelite. I needed a new one and the only thing wrong was the crack. Now I have 3 leaks, 2 small ones and one that flows. It started with one small drip and the leaks have gotten worse every time they have to repair it. I'm still trying to find a competent place to do the work.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've had a chip replaced with the injected polymer stuff on my CT already. I'm not that impressed, but it's on the passenger side and I totally understand how it's cheaper that replacing the whole thing.

(I've had whole windshield replaced on other cars before. In Massachusetts grass repair is free, mandated by our insurance regulation.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had a stone hit the CT windshield yesterday. Did a half inch horizontal crack at eye level on the drivers side. Had a company come out to the house and inject some kind of material in the damaged area. No improvement, the problem is when sunshine hits the area it flares up and distracts from the driving. Will contact my insurance company and see if they replace the windshield with that small of a crack. What a pain. Anyone have this type of a problem?
Almost every insurance company will pay 100% to have a rock chip repaired on your windshield. In the long run a repair is lot cheaper for your insurance company over replacement.

Talk to your insurance company claims department, NOT your agent, your insurance company claims department. They will advise you to go to a specific glass company who will bill the insurance company direct. Or they will advise you to have the repairs done, submit the rock chip repair receipt and they will cut you a draft for the repairs.

If the crack is distracting I would replace the windshield. But be aware, you will never get a New Genuine Honda windshield again. Not even the dealer can get you a New Genuine Honda windshield. You can tell when a windshield has been replaced; look at the bottom corner on the driver’s side, only factory glass will have the Honda emblem on it. The only Genuine Honda windshield you can get is a used one from the salvage yard, out of a totaled (which will probably have minor rock chips if the vehicle has 1K miles or more).

Personally I would contact the local glass companies and request a price for a customer pay windshield replacement. You will probably find the cost of the windshield replacement is going to be close to your deductible.

The dealer and body shops get their glass from a local glass company. If you pay close attention you will find the dealer and body shops do not install their own glass. They hire the local glass company to do it for the price the glass company quoted you, and then they mark it up 200 to 300 percent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost every insurance company will pay 100% to have a rock chip repaired on your windshield. In the long run a repair is lot cheaper for your insurance company over replacement.

Talk to your insurance company claims department, NOT your agent, your insurance company claims department. They will advise you to go to a specific glass company who will bill the insurance company direct. Or they will advise you to have the repairs done, submit the rock chip repair receipt and they will cut you a draft for the repairs.

If the crack is distracting I would replace the windshield. But be aware, you will never get a New Genuine Honda windshield again. Not even the dealer can get you a New Genuine Honda windshield. You can tell when a windshield has been replaced; look at the bottom corner on the driver’s side, only factory glass will have the Honda emblem on it. The only Genuine Honda windshield you can get is a used one from the salvage yard, out of a totaled (which will probably have minor rock chips if the vehicle has 1K miles or more).

Personally I would contact the local glass companies and request a price for a customer pay windshield replacement. You will probably find the cost of the windshield replacement is going to be close to your deductible.

The dealer and body shops get their glass from a local glass company. If you pay close attention you will find the dealer and body shops do not install their own glass. They hire the local glass company to do it for the price the glass company quoted you, and then they mark it up 200 to 300 percent.
Thanks for your info. I originally called my insurance company and they setup the glass repair with Safelite, no charge to me.
I wonder why as you say, that it is impossible to get a Honda OEM windshield. Is this a only Honda situation? Several years ago I had a OEM windshield replacement for my 05 Avalon. My insurance company tried to get me to use a after market replacement glass. I prevailed and didn't have to pay a deductible. Again, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
621 Posts

I would like to add that cracks in windshields are dangerous. They increase the likelihood that the window will further break and it greatly decreases the structural integrity of the windshield (which is important during collisions and Airbag deployment).

·
Registered
622 Posts
I would like to add that cracks in windshields are dangerous. They increase the likelihood that the window will further break and it greatly decreases the structural integrity of the windshield (which is important during collisions and Airbag deployment).

Good advice.

Real bummer Vicm, let us know your final resolution. Have heard many windshield replacement stories through the years, most not good and too many to all be tall tales. Hope you get good results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Windsheld Update

Good advice.

Real bummer Vicm, let us know your final resolution. Have heard many windshield replacement stories through the years, most not good and too many to all be tall tales. Hope you get good results.
Had the windshield replaced this morning. Insurance company approved the OEM replacement. They did a professional job.

Ozzlopez, The windshield has the Honda emblem on the lower drivers side.
I guess the Honda OEM in now available. In any case I am pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Had the windshield replaced this morning. Insurance company approved the OEM replacement. They did a professional job.

Ozzlopez, The windshield has the Honda emblem on the lower drivers side.
I guess the Honda OEM in now available. In any case I am pleased with the outcome.

did insurance cover everything?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts