Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research and I think the 10-12 motor came from the pilot, and the 13-15 from the Accord (Earth Dreams). The 10-12 runs on 3,4,6 cylinders controlled by 3 different lobes. The 13-15 runs on the normal cam/lobes, iVtec lobe, and a third lob for the rear bank of zero lift to deactivate those cylinders.

So my question is, if both the engines run on reduced cylinders, why does only the 10-12 have all those issues on the reduced cylinders? What am I missing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 and the first thing i did was add a defeat device to that eco mode.....the 3.5L Honda V-6 is an incredibly well built engine. Let it run on all 6 cylinders as it was intended and you will probably get 300k...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a thread on drive Accord that basically states: 1. New rings 2. fire plug on deactivated cylinder to burn off oil 3. Intermittent re-enable disabled cylinder at 90 second intervals

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having just recently (6 months) joined the CT Owner Ranks. My CT 2011/4WD has 200k miles, and only 10k or so are mine. She's got a CA to KS and back road trip under her belt with me. I went through and did all the maint stuff that should have been done at 50/100/150k mile markers, that probably weren't done. the spark plugs were original and though they were on the edge of surrendering the final flash, thankfully there were no meltdowns or oil in the spark ports. No oil glazing and leaks on the valve covers. As I'm reading up on this problem, I wonder why my 2011 didn't' have the problem. My old "union" buddies would tell ya, to look at the day it was made, if that was a Monday or a Friday, you were screwed. If that day was a late Wednesday to Mid Thursday you were golden. I think the failed 3.5l engines were made on a Monday or a Friday - Mondays the workers are on the line with hang overs and on Fridays all they can think about is getting drunk over the weekend. Either way they were not concentrating on their jobs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found a thread on drive Accord that basically states: 1. New rings 2. fire plug on deactivated cylinder to burn off oil 3. Intermittent re-enable disabled cylinder at 90 second intervals
I've got 50K on my 2012 V6. What are the symptoms and what is the fix? Is this problem with all of the V6's from 2010-2012 or just a small percentage?

·
Super Moderator
345 Posts
I've got 50K on my 2012 V6. What are the symptoms and what is the fix? Is this problem with all of the V6's from 2010-2012 or just a small percentage?
2010-2012 V-6's primarily (if not exclusively). Hard to pin down percentages but it has to be a semi-significant number affected given Honda extended the warranty, etc.

Symptoms in my case: fouled spark plugs (at ~40k miles), rough idling, check engine and traction control lights coming on, engine codes PO302 and others. Significant oil consumption is another symptom (that I never experienced to any great extent).

Dealer confirmed my piston rings are toast and I'm going the rounds with Honda to sort out repairs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Edubfromktown. A person (don't recall who or where, but possible facebook Crosstour Nation) claimed the root cause of shot rings was not VCM because cylinders 1 2 3 rings are affected, but cylinders 1 and 2 are not part of VCM. Claims rings were installed with the the slots aligned instead of off by 120 degrees. I don't have more information than that. Still researching here.

·
Super Moderator
345 Posts
Thanks Edubfromktown. A person (don't recall who or where, but possible facebook Crosstour Nation) claimed the root cause of shot rings was not VCM because cylinders 1 2 3 rings are affected, but cylinders 1 and 2 are not part of VCM. Claims rings were installed with the the slots aligned instead of off by 120 degrees. I don't have more information than that. Still researching here.
I've read about a number of different potential causes over the years. I'm going to get all the details on which cylinders are the worst and will post their findings. Just waiting for H to grind through their "approval process" to authorize getting the work done.

My aluminum block (and pistons) steel jugged/sleeve 1965 Corvair opposed 6-cylinder motor has done much better HAH! (I have an extremely rare set of TRW forged steel pistons for that one that will go in on a rebuild... so that every gear can rev to 9-10k with no fear).

Reactions: cargusjoh

·
Registered
8 Posts
2010-2012 V-6's primarily (if not exclusively). Hard to pin down percentages but it has to be a semi-significant number affected given Honda extended the warranty, etc.

Symptoms in my case: fouled spark plugs (at ~40k miles), rough idling, check engine and traction control lights coming on, engine codes PO302 and others. Significant oil consumption is another symptom (that I never experienced to any great extent).

Dealer confirmed my piston rings are toast and I'm going the rounds with Honda to sort out repairs.
Thanks for the response.
I guess I should be thankful that I have not (yet) experienced any of those problems. Knock on wood! But just in case,
do you know for how long Honda extended the warranty?
Please let us know how thing work out for you with Honda taking responsibility for the repairs.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
345 Posts
Thanks for the response.
I guess I should be thankful that I have not (yet) experienced any of those problems. Knock on wood! But just in case,
do you know for how long Honda extended the warranty?
Please let us know how thing work out for you with Honda taking responsibility for the repairs.
Thanks again.
No worries...

I'm likely "pushing the outer limits" @10+ years and just over 100k (can't recall if they extended it that long or it was something like 8 years 100k).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts