Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious why people bought a Crosstour. There are many other choices out there but nothing is quite the same. What did it for you? Which features sold you?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have always liked Accords, particularly the two door coupe vs the four door sedan. The problem is that being 6'-1" ... getting in and out of a small car can be a little cumbersome. Also I had been very accustomed to having the convienence of rear space when I needed it. Summize it say that I felt Honda's were a little to small for me (including the CR-V), and the pilot just wasn't doing it for me. So I purchased my `06 Ford Freestyle LTD.

5 years later, and now I'm in the market to buy a new vehicle. I was inclined to buy a Lincoln MKX or Ford Edge, but one day ... I made an early exit off the interstate and passed by a Honda dealership. And there it was ... when I first saw the Crosstour, I was taken by the unusual shape and agressive front end ... also that I knew it must be a brand new line of Hondas, because I have never seen one of these before. I've always known Honda to be very conservative in thier approach regarding new introductions, so I figured - this just has to be something special.

So I pulled in the lot, talked to a used car salesman (it was sunday so main dealership was closed), and he keyed me in on a few aspects of the car that held my interest. Next day, Monday, after work - I visted the dealership and asked for the keys for a test drive.

Needless to say, the car kept getting better .... and beter ... and better. :eek:

I fell in love with the car that day. However, my pragmatic side took control and I hesitated a whole two months, looking at other similar cars, thinking I was probably bedazzled at the thought of getting a new car. But EVERY car that I test drove, I noticed that I kept comparing it to the Honda Crosstour - NOT the MKZ or Edge that I origionally intended to get. That was my moment of realization that I didn't want any other car ... I wanted my Crosstour.

I then went to the dealership, signed my life way ... and there's my story. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. I never realized the Crosstour had extra headroom. It's not something I need at 5'5" so I don't usually notice when a vehicle has it or doesn't.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had wanted to upgrade my 2002 f150 to a new truck. I has a specific payment I wanted to be in and I decided I wanted to lease. I also wanted something that I fit in well, was comfortable and could tow a motorcycle or two if needed. Also something that handled winters good. I was also figuring in milage with my payments to get a total monthly expense. I even considered the Ridgeline but ruled it out because it was a tight fit for me and the payments ended up being higher. After a month or two of looking I figured trucks were out and expanded my search to SUV's. I leased a Honda van before and new that Honda's leased well. Honda ran their big deal promotion, and I went to look at the CRV and honda accord (didn't really satisfy all my requirements but was a nice sedan) and maybe the CT. Test drove all three and knew I wanted the CT. Dealer let me take it home for the weekend and I was sold. Ended up working a better deal than I expected both on my trade in and the CT.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dealer let me take it home for the weekend and I was sold. Ended up working a better deal than I expected both on my trade in and the CT.
Yeah, I totally forgot about the three day test drive. A few days after my inital test drive, they called me back on friday afternoon and told me to visit them after work. though I was reluctant, they gave me a white Crosstour to try out for the weekend. The weekend fell on 4th of July to so got it one extra day.
I figured, the salesperson was very confident that the car would sell itself, and he was right, though I still prefered black. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
The car I was driving turned 11 not long ago.
My 17-year old needed a reliable but not NEW car to drive.
The most important requirements in order:

Unique body style that made the dealers nervous (as in it didn't sell well and was therefore easy to negotiate a killer deal)
Quiet inside the car when driving
Highway mileage approaching 30 MPG
Had to to fit a 29er mountain bike inside
Headroom for my 6'2" frame
Trunk/hatch had to clear open garage door
Good stereo and intuitive dash
Low interest rate
6 speed manual tranny would have been DA BOMB

I looked at a lot of different vehicles from 4runner to sedans. Nothing else seemed to fit the majority of my requirements. This is the first new car I've ever purchased. I have no regrets whatsoever after 11 months.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I Bought a Honda Fit thinking that I could do with out 4 WD and some luxury items. I was wrong so I started looking for something that had all wheel drive, drove nice and had some convenience and luxury to it. I must have spent 1 month researching SUV, Pick-ups and cross overs. Everything I looked at was either way too expensive( BMW X3 & X6) or way too crappy( Kia Sportage). Plus, I really did not like the looks and reputations of both cars. I did consider the Infiniti X35, which had a great ride and lots of fun toys. I almost pulled the trigger on one but decided to take a look at the Honda CT. Having own a Honda I liked the quality and dependability even in the Fit. At first I thought it was Hideous but as I got to look at it closer it kind of grew on me and the interior was really nice for a Honda. Once I took it for a test drive I was sold and the price was about 12,000 less than an Infiniti X35. I did wrestle with the rear view of the car but after driving the car a few times I could see that it was no big issue. The rest is History and I am glad I got a CT and not the X35.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car I was driving turned 11 not long ago.
My 17-year old needed a reliable but not NEW car to drive.
The most important requirements in order:

I looked at a lot of different vehicles from 4runner to sedans. Nothing else seemed to fit the majority of my requirements. This is the first new car I've ever purchased. I have no regrets whatsoever after 11 months.
So I take it your 17-year old got your 11 year old car and you got the Crosstour, right?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was looking for AWD and Bluetooth as my must have features. I also wanted a car, not a truck or an SUV b/c of the better fuel mileage and driving dynamics. AWD cars w/Bluetooth made it a pretty short list. I loved the Crosstour, but it was more than I wanted to spend. Then I realized that I could do really well on a left over 2010 model, plus get great financing. That sealed the deal - I feel like I got a lot of car for the money.

What sold it for you, Patricia?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FamilyGuy, for me the must haves were (1) Honda, (2) V6, (3) Able to put my bike inside without taking off the front wheel, and (4) Not a gas guzzler or one that took Premium gas, which is 91 octane in California.

In 2008 I bought a RAV4 V6 (top of the line) since Honda didn't make anything that fit the bill. I learned from a fellow S2000 owner who bought his wife a Crosstour in May, that it had a V6. That got me interested so I started looking at them and found that my bike did fit inside if I put it in backwards. I visited 5 dealerships. The last one had the only Glacier Blue I'd seen and offered it to me at $940 under invoice. I drove it off. Couldn't pass that up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Before the CT I had a BMW 530i 2004. Very beautiful car. Blk on Blk. But that damn thing always had some type of issue. If it wasn't computer crap, it was water leakages. Always needed tender loving care. I didn't want to go back to a small car, so I seen the commercial of the Crosstour with the Black guy and his kid. I believe the car was green. I fell in love with it the first time I looked at it. It had everything the BMW had and more with a lesser price. It's known to be dependable, and for a guy like me that works all the time I don't have time to dropping my vehicle off at the shop every 4 months with a large price tag. I love the Crosstour, it was love at first sight.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife has been driving a 2003 Chevy Avalanche since new and we decided it was time to find a better vehicle for daily driving. My wife really did not know what she wanted and I was open to just about anything. She wanted a decent size vehicle, preferably with 4 doors and having some storage capability. She initially thought a small SUV might work.

I picked up the Consumer Reports New Car Preview 2011 with 280+ vehicles rated. I instructed her to look at all of them, and I mean all of them. She had a list of vehicles that she wanted to look at and I had my own list as well. I researched repair records, pricing, features, exterior, interior, fuel mileage, and everything else I could think of.

We stopped at the following manufacturers and looked at a bunch of stuff in no particular order:

Jeep; Grand Cherokee
BMW; 1 series, 3 series, 5 series,X5, X3
Toyota; Rav 4, Sienna, Venza
Subaru; Outback Wagon Limited, Forester Limited, WRX, STI
Mazda; CX-9, CX-7, MazdaSpeed 3
Volkswagon; GTI, Tiguan, Jetta, Golf, Passat
Ford; Edge, Flex, Explorer
Mini
Lexus; IS250, RX350
Hyudai; Sante Fe, Veracruz, Genesis, Tuscon
Honda; CRV, Odyssey, Civic, Pilot, CrossTour
Acura; TSX Wagon, MDX, RDX
Chevrolet; Equinox
Buick; Lacrosse, Lucerne

After all this we ended up driving over a dozen cars. The only reason we drove the CT was because we were in the Honda dealership to look at the CRV and my wife thought the CT was worth a look and a test drive. I had somewhat discounted the vehicle because of everything I had read. She drove it first and I thought it was pretty nice from the passenger seat. We went to look at a lot of other cars before we went back to the Honda dealer for me to drive it.

Of all the vehicles we looked at the two that were most impressive were the CT and the Odyssey.

The CT is a good size vehicle with plenty of room for 4 people and you can still stow some gear. The drive was very pleasant, the ride and handling were very good, and it was amazingly quiet. It has all the features we could possibly want. Up until last summer I had a 2006 Acura TL and I thought the CT was an upscale version of that car.

We have had the car for 6 months and we are both thoroughly pleased with the CT. I don't think there was a better choice out there. It has been problem free (as expected) with all the toys we could want and excellent gas mileage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bmacz06, you really looked at a lot of cars! What was it that you read that made you write this? "I had somewhat discounted the vehicle because of everything I had read."

I just got back from my first trip in my Crosstour. It was 206 miles each way. I was happy with the car except for the stereo. It really isn't very impressive after-all. I may investigate better speakers.

·
Registered
621 Posts
bmacz06, you really looked at a lot of cars! What was it that you read that made you write this? "I had somewhat discounted the vehicle because of everything I had read."

I just got back from my first trip in my Crosstour. It was 206 miles each way. I was happy with the car except for the stereo. It really isn't very impressive after-all. I may investigate better speakers.
I had to do some major tweaking with the EQ, but I finally found a set of levels that has made me quite happy with the sound system.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had to do some major tweaking with the EQ, but I finally found a set of levels that has made me quite happy with the sound system.
^Do you mean the balance, fader, treble and bass? There was one other choice and I played with it but I don't remember what it was. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Care to share your settings? I'm pretty happy with the stereo, but I'd love to hear what other happy people have their settings at so that I can experiment.
Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts

The main reason for initially not considering it was that the automotive press uniformly wrote it off as being a poor compromise and that there were better choices out there.

After we looked at everything we did we came to a completely different conclusion.

The car drives great, has a ton of room for people and plenty of room for cargo. It is very quiet and looks great both inside and outside and to top it off we are averaging 25 to 26 miles per gallon. We could not find another vehicle that was as capable as the CT.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^That isn't OEM is it? What did you add on?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The main reason for initially not considering it was that the automotive press uniformly wrote it off as being a poor compromise and that there were better choices out there.

After we looked at everything we did we came to a completely different conclusion.

The car drives great, has a ton of room for people and plenty of room for cargo. It is very quiet and looks great both inside and outside and to top it off we are averaging 25 to 26 miles per gallon. We could not find another vehicle that was as capable as the CT.
Ah, I understand. I read those reviews too. I think the writers were trying to put it in a category that it wasn't made to fit in. The Crosstour created a new specialty that we must all find useful. I think the name Crosstour was a great choice by Honda. It's a cross between the SUVs and wagons out there, and it makes touring, or long drives comfortable. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts