Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have black leather seats on my 2012 CT EXLN. I am looking for recommendations and advice on:

1. What leather conditioner folks recommend? I am leaning towards either Macguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditionr or Zymol Leather Conditioner. Anyone have any experience/stories about using either Honda or Lexol Leather Conditioner (typically see both of these in the dealers parts display)?

2. How often do you apply conditioner? Anything special to watch out for?

3. Do you use leather cleaner each time before you condition?

Thanks for any advice/recommendatons

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Nucman -

All of the leather seats and surfaces get a light cleaning with Zymol Leather Cleaner folowed by the conditioner. I do this about once every six weeks so the process is quick and easy and takes about fifteen minutes to treat the seats and door panels.

I use the Zymol and apply it sparingly by hand, (literally I rub it in with my hands rather than using a cloth). This allows me to control that the conditioner is spread evenly as well as feel any of the dryer spots in the leather that need more attention. On a 2012, it doesn't matter as much only because the leather is fresh and supple, but on older seats it really works well. I apply the same cleaner and conditioner to the back of the seats and headrests as well.

After the leather is rubbed in, then I'll take a soft cloth and dry the leather surfaces thoroughly. I don't leave any conditoner to sit on the seat to soak in, this is an important step in assuring that you won't have a cloudy residue on those nice black seats.

This technique has worked for me and judging from the condition of the leather seats on my older two seat roadster, it is effective over the long run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the leather seats and surfaces get a light cleaning with Zymol Leather Cleaner folowed by the conditioner. I do this about once every six weeks so the process is quick and easy and takes about fifteen minutes to treat the seats and door panels.

I use the Zymol and apply it sparingly by hand, (literally I rub it in with my hands rather than using a cloth). This allows me to control that the conditioner is spread evenly as well as feel any of the dryer spots in the leather that need more attention. On a 2012, it doesn't matter as much only because the leather is fresh and supple, but on older seats it really works well. I apply the same cleaner and conditioner to the back of the seats and headrests as well.

After the leather is rubbed in, then I'll take a soft cloth and dry the leather surfaces thoroughly. I don't leave any conditoner to sit on the seat to soak in, this is an important step in assuring that you won't have a cloudy residue on those nice black seats.

This technique has worked for me and judging from the condition of the leather seats on my older two seat roadster, it is effective over the long run.
Hey combscoach,

Thanks for sharing how you take care of your leather seats. That is exactly why I love this forum...folks are willing to share great info like this.

Zymol it is for a cleaner/conditioner. I hadn't thought about the idea of applying it by hand..I really like that and it makes a lot of sense. It made me chuckle a bit because that is how I learned to apply high grade canuba wax to a car's paint...rubbing it on by hand.

You are right that the leather right now on my 2012 is very fesh and supple and I love that feel when I get in and want to keep it as much that way as I can. Thanks again for the great help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have used Lexol on many cars and am very happy with the results. The seats on my old 99 Lexus that my son now has are still soft and flexible. I use both the cleaner and conditioner (even black seats get dirty). I agree with combscoach and rub the conditioner in by hand. Rather than buying Lexol at a dealer, I buy it from a horse saddle and tack store. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lexol here as well, on my last several cars.

10 yrs in my current Maxima, and seats STILL look great. :p
No cracks, tears, or discoloring either.

I use both cleaner and conditioner.

I tend to use the cleaner maybe only once or twice a year, and conditioner once every month or so in the warmer months...not the winter.

I apply the cleaner with a mildly abrasive scrub pad (gently) and bowl of warm water.
Allow to dry, and apply a HEAVY coat of conditioner evenly with a small rag.
Dry.
Wipe excess residue off seats with a soft dry towel.

Good stuff!

gr

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lexol here as well, on my last several cars.

I tend to use the cleaner maybe only once or twice a year, and conditioner once every month or so in the warmer months...not the winter.
Hey gr,

Thanks for the advice/info. So (I think I know what you are going to say but just want to be sure :) ) from your experience do you not apply conditioner to your leather seats as much in the winter because of the colder temperatres and less direct sunlight just literally doesn't require it or something else?

Thanks,
Nucman

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey gr,

Thanks for the advice/info. So (I think I know what you are going to say but just want to be sure :) ) from your experience do you not apply conditioner to your leather seats as much in the winter because of the colder temperatres and less direct sunlight just literally doesn't require it or something else?

Thanks,
Nucman
Well - given the relative dryness of the air, it'd probably be WISE to apply during winter months -- but I don't have a heated garage!! :eek

i suppose it's not impossible to apply the conditioner in the cold, but certainly not EASY for evaporation, absorption, and overall convenience. ;)

Be guided accordingly.

gr

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
i work at a honda dealer and we use car brite leather cleaner and conditioner it is what we use to clean and condition all our used cars and bring them up to snuff .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts