Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hearing what sounds like a rattle noise when the car is in drive accelereating at low speeds... it almost sounds like marbles rolling around. I do not believe it is motor sound as there is no noise in neutral or park. In drive you can definately hear it. It is faint but it is there... I do not remember hearing it on the test drive. The noise does not seem to change with rpm. Wondering if anyone else hears this/knows what I am talking about. Car is 4wd with 500 miles on it. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am hearing what sounds like a rattle noise when the car is in drive accelereating at low speeds... it almost sounds like marbles rolling around. I do not believe it is motor sound as there is no noise in neutral or park. In drive you can definately hear it. It is faint but it is there... I do not remember hearing it on the test drive. The noise does not seem to change with rpm. Wondering if anyone else hears this/knows what I am talking about. Car is 4wd with 500 miles on it. :(
Maybe it's something rolling around in one of your storage bins in the trunk area?

·
Registered
237 Posts
If your in doubt as to what is a normal engine / transmission noise.. I'd take the car in.. ask the service manager to check it out... and while your there ask to re test drive another CT for comparison on that noise, maybe even have the service manager in both cars with you so you can have em listen as well.

I have over 24k miles on my CT and have yet to notice any unusual noises coming from the engine/transmission. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Unknown noise, other than the general ambient engine hum, should always be scrutinized. It brings to speculation, a condition that has the potential to cause abnormal ware-and-tear and premature aging of your vehicle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Could it be pinging...Cheap Gas?

·
Registered
184 Posts
At this point ... from what we know collectively - all of our assumptions are speculative since we can't really hear the noise. I would take the car to the dealer and have them do a diagnostic. Chances are, and we hope ... it's superficial and easily remedied.

DraEagWol gave you some excellent advice. I wouldn't have thought of testing another car on the lot with the service manager.

In any case, good luck and keep us abreast of any developments. I'm sure someone here with your same experiences will chime in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies... car is going in to the dealer tomorrow. I will keep this thread updated.
CrosstourJed not sure what you mean by cheap gas the manual calls for 87 and that is what I have been putting in the car?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, had an appointment this morning for inspection and mentioned the noise to the service advisor. The SA agreed to drive the car with me riding passenger and confirmed that the noise is there and it is not normal. Unfortunately they did not have any available techs to look at the car so I have to bring it back again. We will see what happens next time I drop it off.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the replies... car is going in to the dealer tomorrow. I will keep this thread updated.
CrosstourJed not sure what you mean by cheap gas the manual calls for 87 and that is what I have been putting in the car?
What I mean by cheap gas is, AM/PM (conveniance store) gas verses Shell or Chevron. Being a BMW driver I never bought gas from a AM/PM or Seven Eleven store. Always Shell. But that may not be your problem. Let us know what was it...:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually put Sunoco in the car so I don't think that is the issue... will post when I have an answer... driveability isn't affected no check engine lights etc. the noise is more of an annoyance than anything.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I usually put Sunoco in the car so I don't think that is the issue... will post when I have an answer... driveability isn't affected no check engine lights etc. the noise is more of an annoyance than anything.
Never heard of Sunoco? What part of the country do you live in?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Never heard of Sunoco? What part of the country do you live in?

Sunoco, Sun Oil. I use to pump gas at one when in high school, back when the 3 Stooges were the top entertainment for teens. You know, the stone age.

Sunoco is primarily on the East coast.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sunoco, Sun Oil. I use to pump gas at one when in high school, back when the 3 Stooges were the top entertainment for teens. You know, the stone age.

Sunoco is primarily on the East coast.
Lol, boy do I remember the Three Stooges and the stone age. Never driven a car over on the East Coast. Been there once to New York. That was nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CeeTee, I think I'm hearing similar sounds with my new 2014 Crosstour. What ended up being the dealers findings and solution?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same noise at around 1000 to 1500 rpm usually when it is in Eco mode and a light amount of gas is applied, i was told it was the tourque converter since the transmission is geared so high for better gas milage , does make Sense to me, I've heard the same rattle noise before in some older Chevys

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I just purchased a used 2010 CT with 35k miles, and am experiencing a similar noise. Has there been any resolution on to what the cause may be?
Thanks,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts