Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(VSA) Vehicle Stability Assist – Leave On or Off

A good many of us just jump in our Crosstour, turn the key and take off. We do this in all weather. We hardly give a second thought to the VSA button that is to the left of the steering column that allows us to turn off the VSA feature. Keep in mind, if Honda never wanted us to control this feature, they would have never given us the ability to turn it off.

For those who are not familiar with the VSA feature:

VSA will help stabilize your vehicle during cornering and turns and also helps you maintain traction while accelerating on loose or slippery road surfaces. It does this by decreasing engine power and by selectively applying the brakes.

Why would you ever want to turn this great feature off!!

You will notice that, perhaps going up a fresh snow hill that your engine power has decreased and it appears your vehicle is struggling to go up the hill. This is because your VSA is decreasing the engine power and also applying brakes to wheels that are slipping, leaving you with barely enough power to make it up the hill.

To turn VSA off or on, press and hold the VSA button until you hear a beep. When VSA is off, you will see a VSA OFF indicator come on. By default, VSA is turned on every time you start the car, even if you turned it off last time you drove it.

So, when do you turn off your VSA? According to the owner’s manual here is when you should turn it off.

If your vehicle gets stuck in sand, mud, or fresh snow. You will be able to free your vehicle much easier with it turned off.

This board does not condone the following ways, but thought I would mention other reasons why you might want to turn off your VSA:
Trying to do a burn out
Doing donuts in a parking lot
Street Racing
Drifting

Some drivers will turn off VSA as they claim you have better road feel. I can understand that.

So, my question to you is:

Do you ever turn off VSA on your car? and if so, when and why?

·
Registered
139 Posts
In our Pilot, I had to turn it off when pulling the boat out of the water at the ramp. Wet and sand covered ramp. I need to spin the crap out of the front wheels to get through the sand layer going up. The VSA would wig out and cut power. Turned off I could let it rip.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It really depends on the programming and car. I have always manually controlled it in vehicles so equipped... in recent history (past ten years or so)

2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 - hardly ever, program was very forgiving. Actually let the tail hang out a little in snow and ice. Was very good at knowing the difference between desired slip and needing to control.

2007 Chrysler 300C Hemi - Couldn't make it down a snow packed road with it on. Very intrusive. High horsepower made it a bit unruly when off but at least you could make forward progress in the snow. Left it on in the rain... not so bad there.

2010 Jeep Liberty w/ full time AWD option - Never ever turned it off. Very weak 3.7 engine may have played a part there. Could select full time AWD or locked 4WD or 2WD. While a VERY faulted vehicle that I dumped quickly it's drive system was stellar. Very stable in severe winter conditions and rain.

2010 Honda Crosstour V6 AWD - Haven't had the need to turn it off yet. Have not had any really bad weather to speak of here in Ohio in the past winters. Maybe this year will be different. Did play with it once when we had snow in our parking lot at work, to get a feel. The couple of times there was some snow it felt a little aggressive but didn't need to turn it off.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I've had plenty of experience thus far with the VSA kicking in and I guess I'm used to it, so I've never thought about turning it off... you can hear in my video especially in the first few hills / turns it cuts off power.

Driving Route 17 VT in Snow

But at the same time, a good snow driver can get through it without too much interference if you keep momentum and speed without spinning your wheels.

Do you know if when the VSA is off, that ABS is also off? (I thought it is since VSA is now all the automatic features rolled into one new name for Honda).

·
Registered
5 Posts
VSA off during summer drier weather

I have turned mine off during good weather which is dry road surfaces & warm to hot temperatures just for the hell of it! YOU ASK! I never drive recklessly by the way!...:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know if when the VSA is off, that ABS is also off? (I thought it is since VSA is now all the automatic features rolled into one new name for Honda).
I don't think you can turn off ABS when you turn off VSA. Obviously as you can imagine, turning off ABS can create some major liability for Honda if it was that easy.

Here is how you would turn off ABS if you want to fully disable your VSA. I or this board do not condone turning off ABS as it is a great safety feature for all cars. There are some test procedures that turning off ABS is necessary. The following procedure works on most Honda and Acura vehicles.

Fully disable VSA including ABS
-------------------
1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
3. Press and hold brake pedal
4. Turn traction control on and off
5. Release brake pedal
6. Parking brake on
7. Turn traction control on and off
8. Press and hold brake pedal
9. Turn traction control on and off
10. Traction control light should be solid and another light blinking

Or, worded another way:

1. Turn traction control on/off with brake pedal on
2. Turn traction control on/off with parking brake on
3. Turn traction control on/off with brake pedal and parking brake on
4. Traction control light should be solid and another light blinking

When you turn off and then restart your car, all functions with ABS and VSA return to their normal default of ON.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts