Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
Hoping someone can shed light on this subject before I head in to see a mechanic and be more informed. Apologies if this has been discussed in a previous or existing forum.
My 2013 Crosstour tends to vibrate when I reach a specific speed normally between 75-80 mph. If I stay under or go over that range the ride smooths out and I no longer notice or sense the vibrations. Is this a tire, an alignment or CV axel issue?
Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had something similar with a civic before I got my crosstour. It was the suspension beginning to fail. I replaced the control arms, shocks, and end links. The bushings had rotted out. I had hibdon diagnosis it and fixed it myself, but it’s a pain to do that. They quoted me like 1200 for parts and labor for a 16y/o car. But any ways take your tires off check with a flash light if your bushings are good on the above parts. Google what a cracked bushing looks like if not. Hope fully this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,
Hoping someone can shed light on this subject before I head in to see a mechanic and be more informed. Apologies if this has been discussed in a previous or existing forum.
My 2013 Crosstour tends to vibrate when I reach a specific speed normally between 75-80 mph. If I stay under or go over that range the ride smooths out and I no longer notice or sense the vibrations. Is this a tire, an alignment or CV axel issue?
I don't know if you've found a solution to this yet. I've had this experience with my 2010 CT and the culprit was my inner shaft cup. Have it changed and you'd be fine but before then do ensure that your don't hear a crack noise when you make a turn (Either left or right) of you do then you have to change the complete driveshaft but if you don't then you can change just the inner shaft cup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ooorrrrrr.....

I had similar vibration as well on my 2012 CT. My fix turned out being to replace the front psgr side axle. Was about $100 for the part, and about 2 hrs. Honda quoted $1300 to replace both. Also, have your differential fluids changed it you can. The ride got even smoother after that. Let us know. Seems to be more than one culprit to this issue. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Everyone,
All Crosstours are succeptable to VCM-induced CV Axle failure. VCM is disabling up to 3 Cylinders under light/cruise loads, and drives excessive vibration through the Transmission Mounts when engaged. Once the Transmission Mounts have sufficiently worn down, the CV Axles will have the range of motion to bow out & cause a vibration at 40-55mph & 70+mph.

Replacing the CV Axles only addresses a Symptom, not the root issue. Disable the VCM using something like VCMuzzler, S-VCM, or VCM Tuner. They all run about $100. Then you should have the Trans Mounts replaced with the CV Axles to prevent any further unnecessary wear. Trans Mounts are not very expensive, and are easily done at the same time as the Driver Front CV Axle.

I've done this twice now on 2010's, and my Solution has not failed in any way yet. I went through the hassle of taking them to Dealerships, speaking with Honda Master Technicians, double checking with Indy Shops, and getting the Crosstour itself on a Harmonic Balancing Table. I'm over $6k deep into Researching, Identifying, and Solving.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Then you should have the Trans Mounts replaced with the CV Axles to prevent any further unnecessary wear.
Appreciate all the work you've done and sharing your knowledge.

Replacing all four CV axles and the transmission mounts is at least a $2k job. Is it worth it? I drive on the highway once a week tops and can tolerate a little shake when I accelerate.

Thx!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the valuable information and education regarding this issue. My knowledge on some of these issues is basic, so your expertise was appreciated and valuable. Repair shop found 2 issues that he feels are creating the vibrations at a specific speed. (70-75 mph) CV Axel replacement on the driver side, where some trans fluid was also seen, plus 2 front tires were badly worn on the outer side, so will end up replacing all 4 tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts