Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my CT 12/30/10 with 400 miles on it.
when i picked it up the next day after getting some stuff installed, i specifically asked them "so when do i get the first oil change, 5000 miles?" (thinking it was the same as my 2002 civic si) i was told "no we dont go by the mileage, you go by your oil percentage, check your odometer, when your at 20% - call us to schedule your oil change".

who am i to argue! they didnt hesitate at all, what a nifty little gauge to check my oil light- ah the joys of technology!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

so today (well... last night) i hit 20% - i just happened to notice it - no service light came on flashing or anything... thought that was kinda weird. i also thought that i had ALOT of miles to wait for an oil change, but i never questioned it.... this is what i was TOLD.

so today i call, i am at around 6800-7200 miles (dont remember exactly) and i speak to my normal service guy i have been using since 2002. tell him im at 20% and need to schedule, he asked the mileage, i told him and he replied wiht a teeth sucking noise... then asks, "you already had your first oil change right, this is for your first service?" :confused:

i told him what i was told and NO this wasnt my service - this was for my FIRST OIL CHANGE - unless they did it at 400 miles when i bought the car.

he says to me that wiht the v6 - they dont go by the oil % monitor on the odometer - they still go by mileage, and i should have had my oil changed around 3700 miles. he proceeded to tell me no biggie, as long as my oil isnt low i should be fine and he will reset my notifications on my odometer gauge...

:mad::mad::mad: my blood is boiling at this moment :mad::mad::mad:

the problem i have is i have a history with the dealer. in 2002 when my civic only had 3700 miles on it, my oil light came on... i panicked. i had it towed to the dealer, i was 2.2 quarts low on a 4.4 capacity motor. they said i had enough in the crankcase and i should be fine. well, since then i was burning ALOT of oil... about a quart every 1100-1200 miles. they told me that was normal consumption for a civic - i told them BULLSHIT.

i fought with that dealer for months - then i got pissed for being taken as stupid because i am a female and wrote american honda of my disgust and dealer run around. finally when i was at 16K miles the dealer called me saying "you got someone's attention at honda, they want you to bring your car in so we can tear your motor down and see whats going on". needless to say, 2 of my 4 cylinder walls were scored hence my issue... they replaced my shortblock under warranty.

i dont want history to repeat itself. i go tomorrow for my oil change. can someone tell me what the protocol is for this motor? or at least, what YOUR dealer told you? and yes, i am going today when i get off work in 10 minutes to read the manual to confirm manufacturer specs. this is what the hell i get for listening to a man instead of reading for myself. LOL j/k guys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i was told "no we dont go by the mileage, you go by your oil percentage, check your odometer, when your at 20% - call us to schedule your oil change".
I picked mine up last night, and that's pretty much what they told me. I think it might have been 15%. Haven't opened the manual yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is the first I have heard of the 3700 mile oil change. Somewhere around 6,000 miles I had to add about 3/4 of a qt. At 15% oil life (about 8,000 miles) the A1 reminder came on. I think you will be OK.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Do you have another dealer you can use? I'm kinda baffled why you would keep going back to the same place that doesn't seem to care about screwing you over.

The light comes on at 15%, which is when our dealer told us to come in.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I work for the dealer any car with a oil life monitor the little wrench comes on at 15% and then you book your appt. or if you don't put on that much mileage you have to take it in at least once a year. When the oil life gets to 0% then the mileage starts counting backwards this is the mileage that you are overdue for service.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I echo the 15% / Little Wrench reminder... this is what the manual states.

I didn't get my first oil change until my first service... which is when the Wrench came on... at 15%.

And your car will tell you what service you need (such as "A1" or "B16").

I suggest go by what your owner's manual states, and find a new dealer that isn't giving you such mixed information.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I work for the dealer any car with a oil life monitor the little wrench comes on at 15% and then you book your appt. or if you don't put on that much mileage you have to take it in at least once a year. When the oil life gets to 0% then the mileage starts counting backwards this is the mileage that you are overdue for service.
Well, this morning I hit 7,000kms and my oil life monitor is showing 60%. I bought my car last September 2010. I know that I'm not driving much but the dealer told me the same thing. If I don't get 15% mark by year end. I should make an appt. to change it. I also read into other threads that the first oil change is very important to reach the marker 15% before we change oil. So, in my case, I don't know how the oil life monitor will be but I suspect that I'll get more than 15% before year end (September 2011). So, what is the recommendation in this case?

·
Registered
534 Posts
So you're at about 4k miles (7k Km), that's about normal for 60%. Ours seemed like it would never go down, but the last 35% seems to move a little quicker.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was told to let the first oil change go as long as possible (all the way to 5%). My first oil change was at 15 000kms. Long gone are the days of 5000km\3months oil changes.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sinister,

Not much to add. I agree, get a new dealer if you can, the guy advising you is just a salesman.

I have an '06 Ridgeline, I use the maintenance minder. At 15% when it starts flashing I set up to get the service done. My initial oil change was over 8k miles. No problem.

The CT was at 40% at 7200 miles. I had a problem fixed and the dealer just changed the oil for me for goodwill. I'm sure if it kept going that the first oil change would have been over 8k miles.

And from experience, the maintenance minder does calculate by how you drive. All city, it will wind down faster. Mostly highway, it will let you go further.

And 3700 mile oil change for the first one is pure BS. Call Honda and ask them.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I was told to let the first oil change go as long as possible (all the way to 5%). My first oil change was at 15 000kms. Long gone are the days of 5000km\3months oil changes.
going all the way to 5% is not true all services are the same drive it till 15% the light comes on make a appt. it's that simple the 3700mile is just to get you in 1 more time for extra $$

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry guys, did you actually see what your oil actually looks like if you change it at 8000 km. DO NOT RELY ON YOUR OIL LIFE LIGHT.

I park my car to go to work at a garage station, and the owner has been in the business for 30 years and he also bought a Crosstour. One morning I saw that his Crosstour was in the garage and I asked him why his car was in the garage and he told me for the oil change. So me relying on what Honda had told me, I told him, aren't you supposed to change it according to your oil life light and he just looked at me with those strange eyes and he told me that he changes his oil every 5000 km and had always done so with all of this cars. So I told him that I had about 8000 KM on mine and that my oil life light was at 30% so I had a long way to go. He told me to bring my car in and that he was going to show me what my oil looks like at 8000. So we lifted my car up that same morning and he showed me, and :eek: you should have seen my oil, it was like molasses. And that oil is a very clear oil. So I asked him to change it asap. He told me that it is very important to do it every 5000 km, that the oil is the life of the engine. So from now on, for me it is every 5000 km. He showed me his oil and you could still see through it, mine NOT. I went to the Honda dealer and told him the story and the guy at the service looked at me with a smile and told me, yes Honda recommends to change at every 8000 km but the best is at 5000 km ;) So it is not to make money guys but to perserve the life of your engine. If you can, ask to see your oil at your next oil change, you will be shocked.

The guy that changed his oil at 15,000, WOW your oil must have been very thick and dark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thank you everyone for your comments and info. after i posted i went home and checked my levels... i had barely any oil on the dipstick. i threw a quart in - which put it at half on the marker... took it yesterday for a change - they noted everything was fine and the service rep i normally use told me the 15% mark for the oil life is usually when the indicator comes on... he said he reset everything and to bring her in at 10K for the first service.

he never mentioned again about the 3700 mileage mark. i am doing just what the service manual says - he might be confused on the older v6 motors... not sure.

and as for using this dealer, as for my old issue with the civic, the service rep i used then when i had all that trouble, he got fired promptly and now i am using a new guy... he helped me get my warranty done with the civic and has always (that i have seen in the past) done right by me - i always use the same guy. this is the first time i got conflicting info - so i am gonna give him a pass this time but will not hesitate to pull his card in the future.

i think i am going to stick to the 5000 per change schedule

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't care much about what these so called experts say to do. I check my oil regularly, and disregard whatever manuals say, or automatic oil gauges...they have never been proven to be reliable. Looking at a dipstick will tell you all you need to know regarding if an oil change is needed. And really, changing oil should only cost you ~$50-60. Learn to do it yourself and you won't be as ill-advised about such things, and you also learn a thing or two about your own car. One other benefit to changing your own oil is that you can compare the new oil to the oil from the dipstick. You can't do that if you pay someone to change your oil.

I would only stick to the 5k mile change if I see that the oil looks to still be clean, otherwise, I'll change it whenever I feel it needs a changing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I totally agree with sandra00 and mechanic. My friend who is very good mechanic and works on and drives Mercedes and Audi always changes his oil at 3K miles or 5K miles with synthetic. Another mechanic that works exclusively on Hondas and Acuras tells me same things (neither of them do my oil changes - so no sales push). What they tell me is that all manufacturers try very hard to bring cost of ownership down so their cars are more attractive. So, just look at your oil at 15% and you will see why. Oil has detergents in it, and with use they breakdown so oil does not do what it supposed to, so after 5000 mi. you can use oil that goes to chain saws (non detergent) and have same effect.
But it's just my opinion, and couple more drunken idiots.....

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
No question i am just telling everyone what the minimum requirement is ! everyone has there own preferance i change the oil on my mustange 2 times a year and i put on about 3000km and i change the oil on my wifes MDX at 50% and then when the wrench comes on so thats about every 5000km
a lot of you guys are right the oil is very black if you run in the full interval but this system has been out on honda's since 2005 it started on the odyssey we have had no motor or oil comsumption issues with them so who really knows???? but i will still change it early

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't care much about what these so called experts say to do. I check my oil regularly, and disregard whatever manuals say, or automatic oil gauges...they have never been proven to be reliable. Looking at a dipstick will tell you all you need to know regarding if an oil change is needed. And really, changing oil should only cost you ~$50-60. Learn to do it yourself and you won't be as ill-advised about such things, and you also learn a thing or two about your own car. One other benefit to changing your own oil is that you can compare the new oil to the oil from the dipstick. You can't do that if you pay someone to change your oil.

I would only stick to the 5k mile change if I see that the oil looks to still be clean, otherwise, I'll change it whenever I feel it needs a changing.
i know everyone has their own preference and believes on oil... this is a hot topic on my civic forum as well. i know with new technology that requirements and recommendations change, so thats why i was wondering what the majority here was doing.

and i already know how to change my own oil, suspension, motor swaps, trans fluid among many other things... but my almost 2 year old keeps me from most of my own wrenching anymore. :( plus my oil changes are free at the dealer - so why not. lol

i did also notice she was a little low on oil - i checked before taking her in... i am going to have to keep an eye on that a little closer between changes, so i can get a pattern on consumption.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts