Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just purchased a 2014 CT EX-L V6 AWD yesterday. Has 53k miles on it. I noticed when accelerating in the 25-40mph range, it’s like the transmission cant make up its mind and the RPMs flutter. This concerns me because I thought it may be the VCM, but I’m not seeing anyone else with a VCM related post mentioning this RPM fluttering. I can feel the hesitation in the transmission when this happens. I dont think i would describe it as the transmission slipping. It almost feels like 3 very fast gear shifts happening, when it really should just be shifting from 2nd to 3rd in one smooth shift. Gas is being given at a light and consistent rate when this happens. Can replicate it every time so far. ECO light seems to be illuminated while this is taking place too which is where my google search started. And its how i ended up here with you all today. Any info would be helpful. I did already order SVCM Controller as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My wife and I just purchased a 2014 CT EX-L V6 AWD yesterday. Has 53k miles on it. I noticed when accelerating in the 25-40mph range, it’s like the transmission cant make up its mind and the RPMs flutter. This concerns me because I thought it may be the VCM, but I’m not seeing anyone else with a VCM related post mentioning this RPM fluttering. I can feel the hesitation in the transmission when this happens. I dont think i would describe it as the transmission slipping. It almost feels like 3 very fast gear shifts happening, when it really should just be shifting from 2nd to 3rd in one smooth shift. Gas is being given at a light and consistent rate when this happens. Can replicate it every time so far. ECO light seems to be illuminated while this is taking place too which is where my google search started. And its how i ended up here with you all today. Any info would be helpful. I did already order SVCM Controller as well.
Will try to get a video of my dash tomorrow so you can see what its actually doing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lots more discussion on this subject on Piloteers.org where everyone owns a V6.
Since you own a 2014, I believe your vehicle has a 6-speed transmission. My Pilot is a 6-speed and it's already problematic, shifting at odd moments. The VCM makes it worse. After disabling the VCM, many of us have also made the move to full synthetic ATFs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots more discussion on this subject on Piloteers.org where everyone owns a V6.
Since you own a 2014, I believe your vehicle has a 6-speed transmission. My Pilot is a 6-speed and it's already problematic, shifting at odd moments. The VCM makes it worse. After disabling the VCM, many of us have also made the move to full synthetic ATFs.
Thank you. It is a six speed. Seems like i feel the car doing it in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. 1st 5th and 6th seem fine. And when eco mode engages/disengages at high speeds, everything feels fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@L3chner -
What seem to be describing is, as mentioned above, discussed in differing detail and solutions. The shutter you feel starts at the engine. When you see4 the ECO light come on, the engine literally turns off 1-3 of the cylinders, supposed to be no spark and no gas injected, as I understand the engineering. The engine suddenly doesn't have the same amount of energy to meet the demand of the foot pressing on the pedal. I'm sure it doesn't happen quite so dramatically, but at least one of the cylinders is no longer providing power or as some look at it, not consuming energy and therefore saving energy. Regardless, the shudder, has been solved in a number of ways depending on the damage the ECO engagement does to the vehicle when the computer tells it that is is really a 3 cylinder not a 6. Some have replaced the engine mounts. Some thought the flutter was an issue with tires and with drive shafts. All of which depends on the age the CT in question. Depending on precious owners and the miles on the vehicle, the issue can get worse. The car is front heavy, and the front drive shafts can warp if the car has done a lot of stop start stop start for many of the miles under it's wings. The issue with the drive shafts is multiplied when the ECO system engages. Honda tested the limits of their specifications and used a smaller drive shaft. - Only seen on the V6 models with a higher than average use in a stop/start/stop use case. The ECO system can also cause the spark plugs to fail and oil leaks on the back side of the engine (closest to the firewall). I am not saying that you are having any of these issues except the issue of the ECO system. If you are in a state that allows freedoms and liberties to make after market changes to ones own personal property aka vehicle then you might look into a way to by-pass the ECO system and just use the v6 the way a v6 engineered to do. Unfortunately one like myself who lives in a restricted state where my freedom to modify my vehicle that removes it from the "list of clean cars" and my head would be removed in an instant, if I lived in Alice's world. Manufacturers are restricted from shipping to California. So my twin brother and his CT in Arizona tried it out and he was quite happy to report that he was now winning because his CT didn't have a shudder. The drive shaft issue will present itself with similar symptoms as the ECO shudder but only because the ECO issue is happening on top of the drive shafts. Drive shaft issues will have a shudder, however small ,throughout the drive and gets progressively worse with higher speeds. Honda would say that the shudder is normal and is part of the ECO engagement. - If you're interested, my twin brother said he got the VCMTuner II - He said he's had it installed on his car in Arizona for 20,000 miles so far and the ECO light has only come on when he was down in Phoenix on a really hot day. Which is expected and it is recommended to not use in extreme temps. But my twin is a daredevil in the heat sometimes and no failures at all. The cooling system is not impacted by the device. The cooling system is what contols the ECO system. Well initiation of the ----- I spent - umm I mean my brother has spent a lot of time chasing the stutter. Did a lot of needed maintenance along the way. The car, as he like to report, is better than when it got off the boat..

Welcome to the CT world -

Trav..

·
Registered
187 Posts
@L3chner -
What seem to be describing is, as mentioned above, discussed in differing detail and solutions. The shutter you feel starts at the engine. When you see4 the ECO light come on, the engine literally turns off 1-3 of the cylinders, supposed to be no spark and no gas injected, as I understand the engineering. The engine suddenly doesn't have the same amount of energy to meet the demand of the foot pressing on the pedal. I'm sure it doesn't happen quite so dramatically, but at least one of the cylinders is no longer providing power or as some look at it, not consuming energy and therefore saving energy. Regardless, the shudder, has been solved in a number of ways depending on the damage the ECO engagement does to the vehicle when the computer tells it that is is really a 3 cylinder not a 6. Some have replaced the engine mounts. Some thought the flutter was an issue with tires and with drive shafts. All of which depends on the age the CT in question. Depending on precious owners and the miles on the vehicle, the issue can get worse. The car is front heavy, and the front drive shafts can warp if the car has done a lot of stop start stop start for many of the miles under it's wings. The issue with the drive shafts is multiplied when the ECO system engages. Honda tested the limits of their specifications and used a smaller drive shaft. - Only seen on the V6 models with a higher than average use in a stop/start/stop use case. The ECO system can also cause the spark plugs to fail and oil leaks on the back side of the engine (closest to the firewall). I am not saying that you are having any of these issues except the issue of the ECO system. If you are in a state that allows freedoms and liberties to make after market changes to ones own personal property aka vehicle then you might look into a way to by-pass the ECO system and just use the v6 the way a v6 engineered to do. Unfortunately one like myself who lives in a restricted state where my freedom to modify my vehicle that removes it from the "list of clean cars" and my head would be removed in an instant, if I lived in Alice's world. Manufacturers are restricted from shipping to California. So my twin brother and his CT in Arizona tried it out and he was quite happy to report that he was now winning because his CT didn't have a shudder. The drive shaft issue will present itself with similar symptoms as the ECO shudder but only because the ECO issue is happening on top of the drive shafts. Drive shaft issues will have a shudder, however small ,throughout the drive and gets progressively worse with higher speeds. Honda would say that the shudder is normal and is part of the ECO engagement. - If you're interested, my twin brother said he got the VCMTuner II - He said he's had it installed on his car in Arizona for 20,000 miles so far and the ECO light has only come on when he was down in Phoenix on a really hot day. Which is expected and it is recommended to not use in extreme temps. But my twin is a daredevil in the heat sometimes and no failures at all. The cooling system is not impacted by the device. The cooling system is what contols the ECO system. Well initiation of the ----- I spent - umm I mean my brother has spent a lot of time chasing the stutter. Did a lot of needed maintenance along the way. The car, as he like to report, is better than when it got off the boat..

Welcome to the CT world -

Trav..
I haven't heard of anyone busted in Cali for using a VCM disabling device. I don't believe that keeping your V6 running on all 6 is an offense. Its not tampering with emissions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone busted in Cali for using a VCM disabling device. I don't believe that keeping your V6 running on all 6 is an offense. Its not tampering with emissions.
@NailGrease,
What I do know. An affidavit that the device would not be installed and/or used on a vehicle registered in the state of CA had to be signed prior to shipping product to CA. Visual inspection by Certified SMOG agent passed while device was connected and relatively visible as it is attached to the side of the battery box, as directed by product instruction. The fictitious vehicle also passed all other CA Smog emissions tests when connected to the test machine passed, and all emissions were well below fail levels.. Indicating the test machine does not verify the ECO use or engagement.

I do not know of any enforcement of and/or verification of the Affidavit required by sellers to maintain in case of litigation.

Thank you to all the Veterans who happen to read this post. Today is Veteran's day 2021 and I thank you for your service if we met face to face, I would shake your hand. I would also tell you that whatever issue or problems you are going through with your car today, take pride in the fact that it was worth the price you paid in the service you gave for me and the USA! . Thank you!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm sure there are some using S-VCM from Canada. Certainly don't want anyone breaking the law.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@NailGrease,
What I do know. An affidavit that the device would not be installed and/or used on a vehicle registered in the state of CA had to be signed prior to shipping product to CA. Visual inspection by Certified SMOG agent passed while device was connected and relatively visible as it is attached to the side of the battery box, as directed by product instruction. The fictitious vehicle also passed all other CA Smog emissions tests when connected to the test machine passed, and all emissions were well below fail levels.. Indicating the test machine does not verify the ECO use or engagement.

I do not know of any enforcement of and/or verification of the Affidavit required by sellers to maintain in case of litigation.

Thank you to all the Veterans who happen to read this post. Today is Veteran's day 2021 and I thank you for your service if we met face to face, I would shake your hand. I would also tell you that whatever issue or problems you are going through with your car today, take pride in the fact that it was worth the price you paid in the service you gave for me and the USA! . Thank you!!
Use it! No one will know, the car is still running cleaner than 90% of the cars in your state and your engine life is the most important thing. I used mine for 3 years with no issues, the car ran perfectly and it passed inspection here in Texas.

PS. Don't move here, no offense.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just doing some reading on the Accord forum. I thought this thread had some great info on VCM disabling. It also says that VCM Tuner and VCM Tuner II are CARB compliant.

Reactions: beerhunt
1 - 11 of 11 Posts