Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to have an independent GPS receiver for my iPad. The first issue was how to power it in a technically proper but cosmetically appropriate fashion.
Considerations were: a) minimize exposed wiring, b) locate GPS receiver next to rear view mirror, c) have power available when needed to operate iPad whether the ignition was on, d) have the ability to turn off power when not in use, e) have the same USB mini b connector that the GPS receiver used, f) have a compact source of power that could be stored above the front headliner.

The position focus first lead to looking at the overhead console where it was found that the map lighting used a constant source of power from a fuse in the driver's under-dash fuse box. Having already installed two 6-fuse fuse blocks under the dash, one ignition on and the other constant power, for future accessories, the decision was made to rely on the existing fuse for the map lighting and not run a new line up to the overhead console.

A reliable, compact source of power with the proper USB connector was identified.

The unit was wired into the circuit for the map light in the overhead console with a connector for future dismounting and switched using a pusn-on/push-off switch mounted into the panel supporting the cabin microphone module.

A label was added to the switch for future users.

The console was remounted with the USB converter located above the passenger side of the roof liner frontal area.

The result successfully gave the needed USB Mini b to power the GPS receiver in the proper location.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great post! I just created an account to thank you for the detailed explanation :)
Thanks. I really should have documented all 16 of my modifications but the thought never crossed my mind during earlier projects.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts