Honda Crosstour Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
[QUOTE

My year model is 2010 EX-L 2wd[/QUOTE]

you have the 2WD model? is that a 6 cylinder? i thought the 2wd's were 4 cylinder

·
Registered
322 Posts
you have the 2WD model? is that a 6 cylinder? i thought the 2wd's were 4 cylinder
In 2010 all Crosstours were V6..

There were 4 cars available.. EX-V6, EX-L V6, EX-V6-AWD, EX-L-V6-AWD.

In 2012 the 4cyl was added, but only in front drive.. the trims of EX and EX-L remained.

There never was a LX trim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not checked this site in a while and I'm on my 3rd faulty plug at around 80K miles. The first time happened at 39K miles. cost me $81...the second time happened at 63K miles I changed it myself, it's the 5th cylinder on my car. Now at 80K miles, I feel it like isn't firing well. After a coupe of times you develop an ear for these problem. I went to the dealership yesterday and they told me to bring it with the engine light on and they will change the rings. It's a great car, it burns a little oil between oil changes (like a qt) but I'll keep it for as long as Honda stands behind it. I just got a Civic Si and I can drop my crosstour to get fixed and fool around with the Si. Don't panic it will get fixed. I will post the results of the repair and how was the experience in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What type of oil are you using by chance? Are you adding any additives? I use only 0w-20 full synthetic as recommended. I once tried adding an additive (1 quart worth) which was a big mistake. It was thick like honey but was supposed to quiet noisy valves / engine noise and was said to be compatible with synthetics. Anyway, the engine started misfiring immediately and the check engine light came on showing misfiring on two cylinders. I drained the oil pain stat and refilled with more 0w-20. Problem went away immediately. Likely not the cause of yours but may be helpful for others out there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Time to revive this post after 2 years of silence. Mine just started flashing the engine light and the traction control light stays lit. Sent out an all call to my car community friends and they are full aware of this issue. Luckily one of my friends husbands is the service manager at the dealership I bought my car from. Waiting on the tow truck to come pick up my xtour right now. I'm at 101K and they are still accepting my claim! Other than this issue, the only other problem I have had was the alternator going out and that was a pain to install!! I'd rather pay someone to do that next time!

·
Super Moderator
345 Posts
Time to revive this post after 2 years of silence. Mine just started flashing the engine light and the traction control light stays lit. Sent out an all call to my car community friends and they are full aware of this issue. Luckily one of my friends husbands is the service manager at the dealership I bought my car from. Waiting on the tow truck to come pick up my xtour right now. I'm at 101K and they are still accepting my claim! Other than this issue, the only other problem I have had was the alternator going out and that was a pain to install!! I'd rather pay someone to do that next time!
Sucks that you experienced the misfire issue but great that H is covering it.

Thanks for letting everyone know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a couple months ahead of you. I got the Check Engine light but was able to drive it to the dealership. They started out wanting $500+ to replace the plugs. After a little research you can see this problem is wide spread. I've owned the car since new and it has 70K on it (2010). We got approval for Honda to cover the service charge. They replaced 4 of the spark plugs and upgraded the software. Replacing the plugs fixed the issue, but that's a band aid on the real issue of poor quality rings or poor quality ring installation that allows oil to foul the plugs.

Honda extended the warranty to cover this for 8 years. With my car that time has past. Now the fight wit Honda is to get them to fix the oil consumption (1 quart/1,000 miles). They say this is nornal... Ya right! Navybrat02, please let us know how Honda treats you. My experience has not been good.

·
Super Moderator
345 Posts
I'm a couple months ahead of you. I got the Check Engine light but was able to drive it to the dealership. They started out wanting $500+ to replace the plugs. After a little research you can see this problem is wide spread. I've owned the car since new and it has 70K on it (2010). We got approval for Honda to cover the service charge. They replaced 4 of the spark plugs and upgraded the software. Replacing the plugs fixed the issue, but that's a band aid on the real issue of poor quality rings or poor quality ring installation that allows oil to foul the plugs.

Honda extended the warranty to cover this for 8 years. With my car that time has past. Now the fight wit Honda is to get them to fix the oil consumption (1 quart/1,000 miles). They say this is nornal... Ya right! Navybrat02, please let us know how Honda treats you. My experience has not been good.
I heard similar "1 qt/1,000 miles normal oil consumption" nonsense from the dealer when I took my car in for an airbag warranty and an oil change recently. I laughed and said abused cars that are raced on the street with blown rings burn less oil.

My vehicle had the check engine light come on (code po302) a couple years back. At that time, the dealer replaced the plugs and updated the PCM software and I haven't had another occurrence though I remain concerned about long term oil consumption issues.

The service manager said unless the car comes up with a misfire code in the range po301-po304, there is nothing more to do in terms of escalating to Honda. I said it needed to be documented nonetheless and if my oil consumption goes up dramatically, I'll be contacting Honda and staying on them like a mad hornet until they address what appears to be a more widespread issue than we are being led to believe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same story from my dealer also... If you come up with a good way to contact Honda and get results, please let me know... I've wrote and email to the CEO ([email protected])...Nothing. Contacted Honda Customer service ([email protected]), they said talk to the service manager. I've contacted California EPA, nothing back yet.... I don't know what Twitter account to complain to... Frustrating...

Unfortunately, it's getting old. I'll probably just trade in the car and buy another brand.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I heard that same thing from my service department. Thought it was weird that it would throw codes because of that. I keep a quart of oil in my car just in case. Sucks we have to do that but better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only one that really knows is Honda. If you search the forums and internet you will probably get the impressions that it happens to all of them but most people who own these cars are not enthusiasts and will not go out of there way to state they have no issues.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Extended warranties for recalls or class actions generally cover the car, not the owner...os doesn't matter if you are 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not read this entire thread but can say that I had the "ring problem" repaired under warranty for my 2011 Accord Crosstour I bought used from a Honda dealer with ~50k miles at the time I bought it and about 90k when the problem occurred. This problem was also covered under a class action lawsuit that I read about that covered the problem as well. I had the rings replaced, a new valve cover, and went ahead and had the timing belt done for the parts price only. My understanding of the lawsuit coverage is that it covers 8 years after the vehicle was first put into operation - i.e. 8 years after first sold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wassup, I have a 2011 crosstour v6 ex-L with the same problem. Old engine was knocking beyond repair. Install used engine with 60k miles and aligned it with new timing belt kit, new spark plugs, new cam and crank sensors, new coils (circuit okay), new injectors (circuit okay), tried 2 used computers, fuel pressure okay, oil pressure okay. I get random misfires at idle but not severe enough to flash the check engine light--at least 1 or 3 misfire counts randomly while monitoring the PIDS.

The misfire is not consistent until I put it under high load with full throttle down to the floor the engine would misfire, stall, and not accelerate to my demand. The code is always p0306 #6 cylinder misfire and check engine light flashing. I turn off the car, restart the car and the misfire is gone but issue can be reproduced. Sometimes I leave it over night and the check engine light disappears. I pull out the plugs no signs of oil. Also sometimes I get a hard start during a hot or cold condition. And for some reason there is always power going to the vtech oil pressure switch on both banks with the key off, not sure why as I don't have the pin outs for this ecm. I checked for shorts to power and non was found. I disconnected the oil pressure switch on both banks to try to produce a code at idle and under load, but ecm couldn't trigger a code. I'm going to the dealer soon and try the ecu update as suggested. I'll post back if something new happens.

·
Registered
62 Posts
wassup, I have a 2011 crosstour v6 ex-L with the same problem. Old engine was knocking beyond repair. Install used engine with 60k miles and aligned it with new timing belt kit, new spark plugs, new cam and crank sensors, new coils (circuit okay), new injectors (circuit okay), tried 2 used computers, fuel pressure okay, oil pressure okay. I get random misfires at idle but not severe enough to flash the check engine light--at least 1 or 3 misfire counts randomly while monitoring the PIDS.

The misfire is not consistent until I put it under high load with full throttle down to the floor the engine would misfire, stall, and not accelerate to my demand. The code is always p0306 #6 cylinder misfire and check engine light flashing. I turn off the car, restart the car and the misfire is gone but issue can be reproduced. Sometimes I leave it over night and the check engine light disappears. I pull out the plugs no signs of oil. Also sometimes I get a hard start during a hot or cold condition. And for some reason there is always power going to the vtech oil pressure switch on both banks with the key off, not sure why as I don't have the pin outs for this ecm. I checked for shorts to power and non was found. I disconnected the oil pressure switch on both banks to try to produce a code at idle and under load, but ecm couldn't trigger a code. I'm going to the dealer soon and try the ecu update as suggested. I'll post back if something new happens.
Absolutely sure your timing marks are perfect? 1 tooth off on a cam gear can drive you crazy when everything else is perfect.
MAF new or clean?
Air intake tube air tight?
NGK Laser Iridium plugs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My boss brought it to the dealer and requested a computer update. Unfortunately I wasn't there to speak to the service advisor or the tech. I didn't bother asking if the computer was updated. As frustrating as it is, the dealer said they found hydrocarbons in the cooling system and recommend another engine. We have a 5 gas analyzer and I never even thought of checking for HC readings in the cooling system because well the engine wasn't overheating. We drove this car up and down the highway with no overheating issues, we even put this car on the dyno with no external fan and the hood closed.

ANyway, there's a current warranty on the engine so we'll do another swap. I'll post back if something new happens.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts