Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I just bought a 2010 Accord Crosstour yesterday. It has 27k miles. Then last night I was reading about the car on the web and I learned about the V6 misfire problem and lawsuit.

I have not yet picked up the car, so I need to figure out ASAP if I should get out of this deal and buy a different car, or just pick up the car and drive it and take my chances.

So, I need to ask you experts: How common is this problem? What percent of cars with this V6 VCM engine experience the problem, and what percent drive for many years and never experience it?

I need to know the answer fast, so I would appreciate your expert replies, Thank you.

Thanks in advance.

Also, the class-action lawsuit extends the engine warranty to 8 years: Does that include me? That is, are second owners covered, or does the warranty only cover the original owner? I did not buy it at a Honda Dealership.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have read the documentation and to me it looks like an extension of the power train warrantee. Since that is transferable the extension should be as well. It sounds like a sound solution to the issue has been found. I would feel comfortable with picking the car up. It is covered until 2018 with no mileage limit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read the documentation and to me it looks like an extension of the power train warrantee. Since that is transferable the extension should be as well. It sounds like a sound solution to the issue has been found. I would feel comfortable with picking the car up. It is covered until 2018 with no mileage limit.
Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I am under some pressure here...

Do you have any sense of how likely this symptom is to happen to my car? What are my chances of driving it for years and never having the problem? Or, do they all get it eventually?

·
Registered
173 Posts
The only one that really knows is Honda. If you search the forums and internet you will probably get the impressions that it happens to all of them but most people who own these cars are not enthusiasts and will not go out of there way to state they have no issues.

You are just going to have to go with your gut on this one and trust if there is an issue Honda will fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the replies. Here is what I have decided:

I am going to pick up the car and drive the hell out of it and hope for the best.

I drove to a Honda dealer this morning and spoke to the Service manager that specializes in warranty service work. He knew about the problem and said he has about a hundred cars with the issue. (But Houston is a huge city so that is a small percentage of the Accords/Crosstours/Odysseys.) He also said (and confirmed what I had already read on the web) that if it happens they will replace the spark plug. If it happens again they will Upgrade the PCM software, and if it happens a third time they will replace some rings.

(If it comes to that I assume I could pay extra out-of-pocket to have them put new rings on all 6 cylinders while they are in there.)

He did say that the warranty will cover me, even as a second owner.

I asked if I should bring the car in to have the PCM upgraded even if I don't have the problem. (The PCM upgrade causes different cylinders to get turned off each time, whereas the original PCM turns off the same cylinders every time.) He replied that they would only do that if I have the problem. Then he left. He must have thought I was asking to have the PCM upgraded for free under warranty, but what I really meant was would it be wise for me to PAY for him to upgrade the PCM and hopefully aviod the problem. I will have to go back and ask that one later.

What do you guys think about that question? Would it be wise to pay a dealer to flash the PCM just in case?

·
Registered
173 Posts
My general approach is to find and research all of the information pertaining to TSBs and known issues for all of my cars. I then watch for the first sign of the issue, head to the dealer and talk it over with the service writer. I have had good luck getting the dealers to perform all or most of the procedures proactively by demonstrating that I know what the issues are and what is going on with my car.

I would just hold tight and if you get to the point where the plugs foul work with them to do the reflash at the same time they replace the plugs. My general feeling here is if you get the plugs to foul you will eventually be at the ring replacement stage regardless of the software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. That sounds right. Just wait and see if it happens, and know what to expect. Knowledge is power.

BTW: It is a
2010 Crosstour EX-L, 27,000 miles, $19,000, No NAV, Silver with black leather.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I too have the 2010 and have had it since September. I've driven it from San Antonio to College Station countless times as well as Houston and Corpus. Haven't had a single problem yet. Knock on wood!!! And I drive the piss out of it especially on TX130 where the speed limit is 85mph. Have gotten the car up to 105 before and wasn't bad at all. Good little V6 I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had this problem on my 2010 CT EX-L last month at about 52k. Engine light came up on my normal commute. Brought to local Honda dealer, had the PCM upgraded and spark plugs replaced. Everything was done at no charge even outside warranty.

·
Super Moderator
345 Posts
Had this problem on my 2010 CT EX-L last month at about 52k. Engine light came up on my normal commute. Brought to local Honda dealer, had the PCM upgraded and spark plugs replaced. Everything was done at no charge even outside warranty.
That's awesome; thanks for letting everyone know.

No issues with my 2010 EX-L 4wd so far...

--eDub

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Z1at3,
Did your CT's engine rev smoother having flashed the PCM and spark plugs alone? Reason being, the lawsuit has to do with the the piston and compression rings wearing unevenly. I think replacing the spark plugs cleaned up some of the fouled spark plugs (assumingly), but did not fix the root of the problem, unless that is what flashing the PCM was presumably there to fix.

Curious to know.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well I just dropped off my car at the dealership yesterday for the notorious misfire issue. I was on my way home the night before and the check engine light started flashing and the engine had a pretty bad misfire. Hopefully they don't jerk me around like they've done so many times before.

Unfortunately I won't know anything for at least another 3 days since they are closed until Tuesday.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I might switch to synthetic

Interesting read on The Truth About Cars
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/08/piston-slap-less-slap-oil-control/#more-898410

After reading the article, here is my reasoning (in order to occurance):
-Less combustion in the inactivated cylinders leads to improper sealing of the piston rings on downstroke. (Ignition cycle of a 4 cycle engine helps to seal the piston ring)
-Worn out piston rings leads to oil leaks through the piston rings
-Oil enters combustion chamber and ignite
-Spark plugs prematurely foul (as this is a 4 cycle not a 2 cycle engine), oil is not suppose to be burning in there
-Foul spark plugs leads to misfires
-misfires leads to engine damage.

I wonder if switching to synthetic oil might help prevent the problem
since synthetic oil has less oil burn off at higher temperatures. Anyone who has switched to synthetic have fewer/no issue with misfires?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Misfire - Honda settlement and Service Bulletin

I don't have a Crosstour but I do have a 2011 Odyssey with 36,000 that I just experienced misfire with P0302 code. My van used a whole quart of oil between the last oil change interval. I think the oil was getting into cylinder and fouling spark plug, causing misfire, and triggering Check Engine Light.

Their was a settlement from a lawsuit regarding the misfire. See this link: http://settlement-claims.com/enginemisfire/ Settlement Class Vehicles are 2008-2012 Honda Accord; 2008-2013 Honda Odyssey; 2009-2013 Honda Pilot; 2010-2011 Honda Accord Crosstour; and 2012 Honda Crosstour equipped with a 6-cylinder engine with Variable Cylinder Management (“VCM-2”)). Honda issued a Service Bulletin for Honda Odyssey 2011-13. It is Service Bulletin 13-081 and is 16 pages long. You should be able to find it searching the internet. Search for Honda Odyssey Service Bulletin 13-081.

There may be a similar Service Bulletin for Crosstour and the other Settlement Class Vehicles if you search for those. Honda extended the powertrain to 8 years (unlimited mileage) according to SB 13-081. For the Odyssey, according to the SB, if one or more Codes, P0301-P0304, are stored, the procedure to replace piston rings in one or both banks is supposed to be performed. The procedure and all parts are in the SB. Honda Dealer performed the procedure on my van. There were no out of pocket expenses to me or claim forms to file. The repair was covered at no cost to me.

On a side note, I did pay for resurfacing front barke rotors because my brakes were pulsating ($139) pretty badly, original brake pads with 6 millimiters left on front pads and 6.5 on rear. I have read alot about the rotors on the Odyssey seemingly warping prematurely but don't know much about that topic yet. Good luck on misfire (and/or oil consumption) issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for posting this info. I had the problem about 6 months ago (2010 Crosstour with @80k miles). My dealer replaced the plugs and updated the programming and said it was a known problem. I didn't realize there was a lawsuit. And the powertrain warranty is extended? Is there a mileage limitation? I'm at 91k miles and my extended warranty expires at 100k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a problem across quite a few V6 motors in the Hondas. The first step to the process is to replace plugs 1-4 and updating the PCM. If the problem continues from there then pistons and rings will have to be replaced. All will be covered under Honda warranty. I work in service at a Honda dealership. We see the problem all the time with several Hondas not just the CT. Nothing to worry about though. I've seen several cars with over 300K miles with no issues and then I've seen cars with 20K miles come in for the warranty work. There's honestly no rhyme or reason to what causes it. And there's nothing that you can do that will prevent the problem from happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the misfire issue last year in August on my way back from vacation, it left me stranded on the side of the road. I ended up having my crosstour towed to the dealer and luckily they fixed it with a software update and new spark plugs....Other than that they told me nothing else.

Lets fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my wife was heading into work and she called me and stated the same thing was happening again as it did on vacation last year. I drove to her car at her work and had it towed to my local dealer. I advised them what was going on and told them about last year...They called that out of state dealer and got some information from them. My dealer called and told me they were having to replace my rings and spark plugs due to this recall/issue.

They had my car 3 days and fixed everything, it seems to be running great. They told me hopefully this wont happen again. We will see!!!

The issue starts with the check engine like coming on and it starts missing....Ours the first time left of stranded this time she was able to pull into the work parking lot. I have never noticed the oil being low.

My year model is 2010 EX-L 2wd

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the misfire issue last year in August on my way back from vacation, it left me stranded on the side of the road. I ended up having my crosstour towed to the dealer and luckily they fixed it with a software update and new spark plugs....Other than that they told me nothing else.

Lets fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my wife was heading into work and she called me and stated the same thing was happening again as it did on vacation last year. I drove to her car at her work and had it towed to my local dealer. I advised them what was going on and told them about last year...They called that out of state dealer and got some information from them. My dealer called and told me they were having to replace my rings and spark plugs due to this recall/issue.

They had my car 3 days and fixed everything, it seems to be running great. They told me hopefully this wont happen again. We will see!!!

The issue starts with the check engine like coming on and it starts missing....Ours the first time left of stranded this time she was able to pull into the work parking lot. I have never noticed the oil being low.
what model year do you own?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts