Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I live in Alberta, Canada and was wondering what all of you thought about having the rust protection coating and sound barrier undercoat put on your cars. I always thought the rust protection was more for coastal areas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Wow, I;ve lived in the South for almost 40 years, Do they still rustproof? My only memory is from back in the early 70's and that was a ripoff. (Grew up in New England)
I'll be interested to see what folks think.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wow, I;ve lived in the South for almost 40 years, Do they still rustproof? My only memory is from back in the early 70's and that was a ripoff. (Grew up in New England)
I'll be interested to see what folks think.
I want to say my Volvo was sprayed underneath with what looked like bed liner.

It was awesome and smart.

·
Registered
622 Posts

I guess that like most things they have come a long way on the improvement side. Trial and error and new effective compounds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ya the bed liner looking stuff is the sound deadening material. Rust protection is a clear chemical that they spray on as well.

·
Registered
668 Posts
This is easy...NO
Cars today come with some sort of protectant and even if you do put more on by the time the car really needs protectant it's all worn off. So, your back to Square one. Keep it wased and make sure you get under the car too

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I go drag racing, I spray either armorall or Pam cooking spray on my rear bumper so the rubber will wipe right off. I know a ton of guys that do the same things on their trucks when they go out mud riding, makes it come clean extremely easy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know if it's still done this way but the ones I used to get done required them to drill holes so that they could spray the rust proofing stuff into the seems (like the bottom of the door. I was told when I bought my CT that drilling any holes in the body will void the warranty.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's a cash grab from the dealer when you buy your car....You don't need it. It's got minimal effectiveness for both sound and rust protection, and if you really think you've still got to have it, you can have it done cheaper at an auto detailing shop....

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's a cash grab from the dealer when you buy your car....You don't need it. It's got minimal effectiveness for both sound and rust protection, and if you really think you've still got to have it, you can have it done cheaper at an auto detailing shop....
....as an aside:
My wife was buying her new car and I was adamant that we didn't need and wouldn't pay for the undercoating that the dealer was pushing.... In the end we got home with the car and found it had already been undercoated, so we got it for nothing:)

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I don't know if it's still done this way but the ones I used to get done required them to drill holes so that they could spray the rust proofing stuff into the seems (like the bottom of the door. I was told when I bought my CT that drilling any holes in the body will void the warranty.
the only reason they drill holes is so you know they did something !the stuff we use at my dealer is great and you dont have to drill holes because all hondas are pre drilled at the factory before they are painted.

·
Registered
622 Posts
When I go drag racing, I spray either armorall or Pam cooking spray on my rear bumper so the rubber will wipe right off. I know a ton of guys that do the same things on their trucks when they go out mud riding, makes it come clean extremely easy.

This method is also great for anyone driving through Florida during 'love bug' season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts