Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Still reading the manual on my one week old EX-L Nav 4x4. it said to use unleaded and the dealer told me 87 was fine? is that what you all are using? or did you step it up and if so why?

thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to use anything higher than 87. Especially on a Honda. It's just money going down the drain.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
premium has it's benefits too just too much $$$ right now:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
In Illinois, we get 87 made with corn cobs, not kidding.

It runs well, even on the ..... ummm... errr... cheap stuff.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Higher octane fuel has no benefits in engine that aren't designed for it. The main thing that people should do is avoid discount fuel. Discount fuel tends to have more additives which can lead to decreased engine life. I've seen the gummed up valves in blown engines that ran cheap gas, it's not pretty.

·
Super Moderator
374 Posts
Gulf 87 in town and either that or Citgo when I am on the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We use 87 octane, mostly Shell or Mobile. The CT runs just fine on it as does our Ridgeline with the same engine. There is a note in the manual however about not using gas with MMT in it. I spoke with the dealer's service techs about it and got refered to a website. After a bit of web-work, it turns out that MMT is an additive that is used in lesser quality gas to make it burn like higher octane/better quality. It is not good stuff and should be avoided.
The website is www.toptiergas.com. It has a reasonable explanation and, under the "retailers" tab, it lists which fuels have committed to not using MMT.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Same here, 87 octane in CT and Ridgeline, usually Shell or BP. Check out Visa cards for Shell and BP ... 5% off gas purchases. With gas at 3.00 that is a 15 cent discount. Every little bit helps, I'm sure others have the discount too. Here, it beats Sam's Club when you apply the 5%.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We use 87 octane, mostly Shell or Mobile. The CT runs just fine on it as does our Ridgeline with the same engine. There is a note in the manual however about not using gas with MMT in it. I spoke with the dealer's service techs about it and got refered to a website. After a bit of web-work, it turns out that MMT is an additive that is used in lesser quality gas to make it burn like higher octane/better quality. It is not good stuff and should be avoided.
The website is www.toptiergas.com. It has a reasonable explanation and, under the "retailers" tab, it lists which fuels have committed to not using MMT.
Interesting tip. Thanks, SkiTour.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I remember corectly the owner's manual also says to stay away from ethanol fuels
Not exactly, On the fuel door it say NO E-85. But the owners manual says "Your vehicle is designed to operate on oxygenated gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol by volume and up to 15% MTBE by volume. Do not use gasoline containing methanol". And it says do NOT use MMT additives. And in parts of Nebraska (the corn belt) the cheapest blend is 10% ethanol and it is 89 octane, the regular unleaded is 87 octane and cost about 5 to 10 cents more. I have used both and it seem the 87 octane gets slightly better Mpg. But usually I'm a cheap a** and use the ethanol blend :).

Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts