Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed blinking side mirrors? I purchased and installed really good ones for my Ridgeline but can't find any for the Crosstour.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Has anyone installed blinking side mirrors? I purchased and installed really good ones for my Ridgeline but can't find any for the Crosstour.
The Chinese version of the CT comes with blinking side mirrors form the factory.

I've been trying to find out if the wiring exists in our domestic CTs for a simple swap out, or whether it would be more involved than that.

(But I think if you are going to go with a set, OEM would be the way to go.)

Here is the previous discussion regarding folding/turn signal mirrors:

http://www.crosstourownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563

The discussion turns to turn signal mods and wiring harnesses later in the thread.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Gents… Check this out…

There are two types of CTs out there, which means two types of wiring harnesses that connect the power mirror assy’s to the wiring harness (With/Without DPMS).

Wiring harnesses for CTs WITHOUT DPMS (Driving Position Memory System) have a 6 pin harness (two up top and four on the bottom in the shape of a U)(On this type there is only one pin that is not used, pin 6).

Facing the female side of the harness looks like this (0 means no pin and no space for pin)…

Wire Colors for left (Driver’s Side)
2-BLK/WHT
1-BLK/BLK
3-YEL/BLK
4-YEL/RED
5-YEL/WHT
6-Not Used

Thus, my guess is no dice here.

However…

Wiring harnesses for CTs WITH DPMS have a 13 pin harness (5 up top and 8 on the bottom in the shape of an oblong U)(On this type there are 4 pins that are not used, pins 9, 10, 11 & 12). Hmmm… I think we’re on to something.

Facing the female side of the harness looks like this (0 means no pin and no space for pin)…

5 4 3 0 0 0 2 1
13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6

Wire Colors for left (Driver’s Side)
5-BLU/WHT
4-ORN/WHT
3-WHT/BLK
2-BLK/WHT
1-BLK/WHT
6-YEL/WHT
7-YEL/RED
8-YEL-BLU
9-Not Used
10-Not Used
11-Not Used
12-Not Used
13-GRN/BLK

The goal is to see if this thing is hot-wired for turn signals, right? The whole body of the power mirror is plastic so all grounds will need to be wired and separate wires for each function, right? The easiest thing to do is do access the harness with a multimeter and probe pins 9-12 for ground and also for voltage that pulses in conjunction with the appropriate turn-signal. If the spaces for these pins are empty, then there's your answer. Also, if one stays hot while the car is on and goes cold while the car is off, then we have just found our folding mirror answer too.

Let me know if you need clarification on anything here.

I hope this helps.

Jay

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Acura ZDX has blinking side mirrors. The ZDX is based on the Ridgeline platform so suspension bits will differ but mirrors may be a fair bet.

Based on the diagram below, you may be lucky and be able to just replace the outer shell of the mirrors which has the blinking elements and add the harness therefore eliminating the need to buy the entire mirror assembly.
Price it out at www.oemacuraparts.com

·
Registered
168 Posts
And (new CT owner, but not new to car mods. . .so my Honda related speculation might still be a bit off!) I believe I've heard of Accord owners on driveaccord.net using the OEM Accord Inspire mirrors w/ folding & turn signal. Also requires swapping in the Inspire mirror control switch w/ the folding button. The JDM mirrors are extremely pricey, but if you read around on those accord forums I think their might be knock offs and other ideas out there.

·
Registered
621 Posts
And (new CT owner, but not new to car mods. . .so my Honda related speculation might still be a bit off!) I believe I've heard of Accord owners on driveaccord.net using the OEM Accord Inspire mirrors w/ folding & turn signal. Also requires swapping in the Inspire mirror control switch w/ the folding button. The JDM mirrors are extremely pricey, but if you read around on those accord forums I think their might be knock offs and other ideas out there.
I think I addressed this in the thread that I linked to in the second post of this thread.

Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.crosstourownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563

·
Registered
14 Posts
At the risk of being potically incorrect, I also own a 2011 Ridgeline RTL. Would you please tell me where you got and how you did your Ridgeline flashing mirrors? If not here, then on the Ridgeline Owners Club Forum next door?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
At the risk of being potically incorrect, I also own a 2011 Ridgeline RTL. Would you please tell me where you got and how you did your Ridgeline flashing mirrors? If not here, then on the Ridgeline Owners Club Forum next door?
I was also a member of Ridgeline Owners Club Forum. They recommended Muth mirrors. I purchased a pair with red led's and later found out they had the mirrors with the amber led's. They worked great. I never had any problems with them. Muth is the manufacturer and they are heated mirrors as well. I highly recommend them.

I'm not a car guy so I took them to a custom shop to have them installed. Cost me a pretty penny. They had to hook them up to the turn signals.

I wish Muth would make some for the Crosstour. Maybe if there was enough people interested, they would do it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Would be the same as the Accord, right? Correct me if I'm wrong guys, many of you know a lot more than me about what carries over from the Accord parts bin. I see Muth doesn't make one for the Accord either (which is odd considering its perennially one of the most popular vehicles in the nation).

If it was/is possible to get the Accord Inspire mirrors or the Chinese CT mirrors wired up in our cars I do like the fact that they fold (the CT isn't a skinny vehicle) and personally I like the wraparound mirror turn signal better than the hidden behind the mirror arrows (though still, that's a cool mod and better than nothing). I would speculate that the wraparound style gives more visibility because you can see it from in front, the sides, and to a surprising degree from behind it, on the mirror side, too.

Got the service manual in and will be posting shortly any findings on what wiring goes to the mirrors. . .give me a day or so.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I just looked through the shop manual. Good news and bad news.

The bad news is that all the wiring in the mirror harness is accounted for:

Defroster (1,2)
Mirror Position Sensor (3,4,5,13)
Motor Controls (6,7,8)

The good news is that there are 4 positions that are unused (9,10,11,12) which could potentially handle wires/pins for Auto Folding and Turn Signals.

I think I may have mentioned it before but I think the next step is to get our hands on the wiring diagrams, or an actual mirror, from the Chinese CT (or Inspire, or whatever) and see if the harness is the same and if it just uses these extra pins.

If so, it should be a fairly easy mod.

(You can find this info on page 22-443)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts