Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that when you keep the installed trunk cover that it is very hard to see into the trunk at night? I have LED's in the dome and map lights, but I still can't see into the trunk at night. I was thinking of installing some LED strips in the back, probably in blue to match the Interior Illumination accessory. Any ideas on where to put these and how that can be done? If someone has done it, I'd appreciate the tech assist!

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where you put them is going to depend on what you buy really.. I've bought from super bright led's before, and they've got all kinds of stuff that will work for your application..

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini_tubes.htm

Then you would just have to tap into the power for the trunk lights (bonus of keeping the "turn on when open" feature) to power them.
Any good places for a how to on the tapping into the trunk lights power supply?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are the lights in the trunk turned on? Mine were switched off when I bought the car. I noticed that the trunk was very dark at night and thought it odd there were no lights, until I spotted them on either side wall and flipped the switches. Voila!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We went 4 months before we realized that the trunk lights were turned off, there is a light on each side (inside top panel).. both light switches were off, I guess they were left off during Quality check?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm in the process of adding 2 strips of led lights on the side, and noticed that you can't just tap into the wire connections for the switch's on/off feature, you have to connect to the actual metal connection brackets around the bulb. Either way, it works fine that way, but I didn't imagine it was put together so cheaply.
Also, I have more than enough light in there, so I'm just doing this for the look.

Also... if you are looking for the most amount of light from the light's original placement, upgrading the bulb to another bulb will give you more visible light(spreads more) than an LED bulb. Unless you have a circle setup of LED's, the most light you can get out of it is about 160-178 degrees, compared to the regular bulb gives you full spherical 360 degree light(minus the point of attachment's angle). The standard bulb is pretty weak, especially in a black interior.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. Any specifics on how you thread the wires or where you mounted them? I will be copying you I think. :) Pics? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went 4 months before we realized that the trunk lights were turned off, there is a light on each side (inside top panel).. both light switches were off, I guess they were left off during Quality check?
So, yes, the lights were off. That sure does make a difference. I am going to add the light bars still though for the effect. Do they make LED replacement bulbs for the trunk lights? Anyone?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the information. Any specifics on how you thread the wires or where you mounted them? I will be copying you I think. :) Pics? :)
If you were talking to me, I have tried to install the lights, and back-up camera, but it's too cold to even feel my fingers doing the work after just 5 minutes:) But, when I do work on it, I will take some pics and post them here. Hopefully, next week should be a bit warmer:cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
So, here's my led strip setup. I think it came out nice. I didn't want to remove the actual bulb, though I could have. The only problem I foresee is the backsided tape not sticking to the plastic panel. Looks SWEET in person! I wanted to have the option of the led's turning on when the rear door opens up, as well as give me the option to turn them off with the regular switch, so I soldered the wires directly onto the metal bulb bracket(this is like connecting it right to the switch). I like it!
IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

I still have 5 more strips to install somewhere:)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Nice job iggibar!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Really, really nice job. I'm totally stealing your idea. :)

You might want to look into some heavy-duty 3M double-sided tape. It's a dark gray so it will hide well (but you'll likely have to trim it down to match the width of the strip). You can also prep the surface by swabbing it with some really clean isopropyl alcohol (90%+) so that there's no dust/oil on the surface when the adhesive/tape makes contact.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you guys(gals?) :) The pics actually don't do the blue light justice. The iphone4 doesn't take pics that well in the dark with high contrast lights. As I predicted, I am already having issues with the tape coming off at the 2 bends. Will be going out to look for some tape.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So, here's my led strip setup. I think it came out nice. I didn't want to remove the actual bulb, though I could have. The only problem I foresee is the backsided tape not sticking to the plastic panel. Looks SWEET in person! I wanted to have the option of the led's turning on when the rear door opens up, as well as give me the option to turn them off with the regular switch, so I soldered the wires directly onto the metal bulb bracket(this is like connecting it right to the switch). I like it!
View attachment 394

View attachment 395

View attachment 396

View attachment 397

I still have 5 more strips to install somewhere:)
Great Job there. The LED will not stick over much time at all for sure but if you place narrow (I cut mine down to size) velcro on back side of LED tape and other velcro to CT it will stay years...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just got done with the fix-up. Sanded down a narrow strip on the plastic for the led's, and taped it with some heavy duty 3M tape that is made to hold 5 pounds. If that doesn't work, I'll go with velcro, but something tells me this is going to work...it's even stronger than I imagined.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got done with the fix-up. Sanded down a narrow strip on the plastic for the led's, and taped it with some heavy duty 3M tape that is made to hold 5 pounds. If that doesn't work, I'll go with velcro, but something tells me this is going to work...it's even stronger than I imagined.
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome job. I should have mine done this evening if I can find my iron and alcohol. I'll post some pics when I am done and see if my camera can really pick it up. Does the blue really overpower the yellow light? I hope so!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome job. I should have mine done this evening if I can find my iron and alcohol. I'll post some pics when I am done and see if my camera can really pick it up. Does the blue really overpower the yellow light? I hope so!
The blue actually does overpower the white light. It's until you look underneath that you notice the regular bulb is still on. It's expected though, that thing was a very faint, dull lighting bulb. Now, drink up, and get it done:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
LEDs

I saw quite a choice of LED lighting strips at the truck stop gas stations. I was thinking of using one of them on mine, when it comes in (2WD Sage Green, plain jane)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally Done!

Finally done and it looks amazing. I think these photos captured the power of the LED's and just how blue they are. I removed the bulbs and just soldered the connections as done above and it looks great. Bright and stylish. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts