Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is servicing the tcase and rear diff pretty much straight forward, or are there any tips/tricks that I need to know. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Jigger

Doing a maintenance on the rear differential and transfer case is very straight forward. I created a thread and took some pictures when I did mine. Just go to this thread:

http://www.crosstourownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345

The only tip I have is to purchase a Gold Plug (Magnetic Drain Plug) to replace the factory drain plug.

http://www.crosstourownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299

Here is the link for the magnetic drain plugs and inside this thread are the part numbers for a Gold Plug.

If you have any questions about this, just post them and I’m happy to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Crashmaster. Just wondering about the transfer case also. My dealership searched my vin and it recommends hypoid 90 for the transfer case. I haven't put the car on the hoist yet so I haven't had a good look.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
In the Service Information Summary of your owners manual, for my car which is a 2012 Crosstour it is on the second to last page, where it lists the various fluids and specifications. It states:

4WD models only
Transfer Assembly Fluid:
SAE 90 viscosity hypoid gear oil, API service Classified GL4 or GL5 only.

4WD models only
Rear Differential Fluid:
Honda Dual Pump Fluid II. Do not use ATF.
Capacity 1.3 US qt. (1.2 l)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its pretty straightforward and the fluids are evn cheap IMO at the dealer so use exactly what they recommend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Crashmaster "Doing a maintenance on the rear differential and transfer case is very straight forward. I created a thread and took some pictures when I did mine."

The link you provide only describes how to change the rear differential fluid, not the transfer case fluid?

·
Registered
17 Posts
yea i just had to do A3 maintenance minder had no idea about the transfer fluid. where does it go and what do u use.

anyone know?

sorry i have v6 awd about 55k miles. did the rear dif fluid change twice already since 10k. sounding like i need to do it again since im hearing that grind while parking/reversing. just had A3 done but i missed the transfer fluid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a CT with 40k miles on it. Service history showed trans, front transfer case were changed at 30k miles, 3 years ago. Not the rear differential. I experienced a grumbling when in revers and hard right wheel, only when cold. I had the fluid changed and all is good. So, I'd recommend changing the differential fluid with the transmission and transfer case. That is my plan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts