Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Igot a 2012 4cyl. 2wd that I’ll be looking at pulling an aluminum 450lb trailer with a 500lb motorcycle sitting on it. The trip is a 4 hour all highway trip.
Any reason not to trust it making the trip?

If not should I keep it in D3 or ok to leave it in O/D?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
836 Posts
I wish I could just rattle off the tow specs for every car but I can't. Best I can do is to tell you that this information you are looking for is in your owners manual under towing. That will give you the best advice. Next best would be to call a U-Haul Tow Facility. Last I remember they have a book listing the tow specifications for every vehicle, because they must check it prior to hooking up a trailer to a vehicle. If they hook up a wrong size trailer or such, they would be responsible should an accident happen. As for keeping it in D3 or O/D, I think it would depend on the terrain. If you are traveling on flat terrain, you might get away with O/D, but if the terrain is even slightly hilly - D3 would be better. Just listen and watch your tachometer. If you see your vehicle struggling while in O/D or going back and forrth in gears, just put it in D3. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Accord Crosstour V6 W/Navi 4WD
25 Posts
@JonnyQuest
The only other recommendation is related to the terrain as well, but specifically associated with coolant temperature. Since the the transmission fluid is cooled through the radiator as the transmission works harder the fluids heat will be transferred to the coolant and/or dispersed radiator fins. This will impact the overall coolant temp which is reported via the temp gauge on the dash. With the extra load on the transmission either uphill or downhill keep an eye on the temp gauge and don't let it get too hot before stopping and cooling the drivetrain down.

Keep On Keep'n On

T...

Reactions: JonnyQuest

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I had read and thought about a transmission cooler. But just don’t trust the Honda’s transmissions to pull much. I ended up going a different route, better safe than sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts