Honda Crosstour Forums banner

top speed

13K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  spikeitaudi 
#1 ·
The CT is block at 190 kmh,who sell the reprogrammer to unblock the speed limiter?

#2 ·
120 MPH is pretty fast!

I know the engine has a limiter on the RPM of the engine, but I wasn't aware that a limiter was set for MPH because even the Accord 4 cylinder engine is capable of 120+ MPH.

I use to drive fast sometimes (115 MPH one time in our Chryler SW) , but when I saw a high speed video of the shape of a tire at high speeds then I slowed down! 120 MPH is pretty fast and tire side walls don't look very good unless you have high speed racing tires.

#6 ·
Are we on the race track or public roads on this topic????
Suggest a Goggle search on what the law says about Dangerous Driving or Reckless Driving in various states or Cdn Prov.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reckless_driving

Good Advise, Speed Kills. Racing is for on track only after a saftey inspection. Too many cars get wrapped around light poles. Been there done that and it it is not fun. It was till about the last 2 seconds when I knew we were going to hit the pole.

#7 ·
Good Advise, Speed Kills. Racing is for on track only after a saftey inspection. Too many cars get wrapped around light poles. Been there done that and it it is not fun. It was till about the last 2 seconds when I knew we were going to hit the pole.
Agreed. I was lucky enough that nobody got hurt when I rolled my first car. Please drive safely on public roads.

FYI, in Ontario 50km/hr over the speed limit gets your car impounded and license suspended for 7 days (at the speeder's cost) plus it's a minimum 2000$ fine for first offence.

BTW, I love my job as a safety nanny!

#10 ·
Forget the tires:
I just posted a comment on tires a few minutes ago, ironically enough, my wife got a call from her mother in Oklahoma regarding a friend my wife grew up with. Cindy was headed North on I-35 this morning and was rear-ended by a car doing 110+ according to HP. Whiplash and torn muscles and car totaled. Could have been much worse, so my vote is keep speed down to a point where you can stay in control…don’t know if driver was drinking or not yet.

#13 · (Edited)
Bonneville!

I think I will take my CT out to Bonneville for speed week next year. :D

They have a class where you can establish a speed record for almost anything you can drive. :D:D

There must be a class for a car like the CT that has been marketed to a demographic that is (no offense!) so sedate, stodgy, and, well...I am sorry to say...a little boring! :p:p

It's a slightly sporty car, and with a chip and some V, W, Y (or even Z!) rated tires, I could really have some fun, maybe set a modest record, and give the safety nannies something to fuss about! :cool::cool::cool:

Too bad it's mostly my wife's car.:(:(:(

Anyone know anything about putting a turbo on one of these engines?:eek::eek:

#36 ·
I think I will take my CT out to Bonneville for speed week next year. :D

They have a class where you can establish a speed record for almost anything you can drive. :D:D

There must be a class for a car like the CT that has been marketed to a demographic that is (no offense!) so sedate, stodgy, and, well...I am sorry to say...a little boring! :p:p

It's a slightly sporty car, and with a chip and some V, W, Y (or even Z!) rated tires, I could really have some fun, maybe set a modest record, and give the safety nannies something to fuss about! :cool::cool::cool:

Too bad it's mostly my wife's car.:(:(:(

Anyone know anything about putting a turbo on one of these engines?:eek::eek:
I think safety on public roads has definitely been covered at this point, lol.

With regards to the top speed, most Honda ECM's have a speed limiter that cuts fuel at 125-130 mph. My civic had the same limiter. The only way I was able to get past it was with a complete standalone engine management system. The fastest I pushed it to was 155 and I shut it down intentionally...it was still pulling. Short answer, there would have to be someone that had a bypass to the stock computer. There is nothing available for a drive-by wire throttle type ECM that I am aware of, least of all for an automatic transmission.

Turbos - I haven't checked the block stamp for this engine, but I'm fairly certain that it is a "J35" series engine. The previous generation accords had a "J30" series engine. I've seen a handful of those that had been turbocharged. The real drawback to trying to turbocharge these engines is twofold. First, the exhaust headers are cast as a part of the cylinder head. That limits your ability to mount a turbo with a custom turbo header. It can be done but custom fabrication has to be done. Second, see the issue above with the ECM. You have to compensate for the increased air going into the engine with more fuel and retarded timing. The only way to do that on a drive-by-wire throttle is to convert it to cable throttle and install a standalone ems (which would require a manual transmission conversion) or install a piggyback computer (works with/against the stock ECM to change the fuel and ignition pulses) that works on a v6. From my experience, I would never use a piggyback computer ever again. They are way too inconsistent and don't work as intended.

#14 ·
In my younger days I had my 04' 4cyl Accord over 130, and it was smooth and steady. Haven't played with the Crosstour yet, don't think the wife would like it. My day job is catching people doing dangerous and stupid things now so I see 100+ with regularity. Difference is my car gets weekly check ups and I check the tires every morning before shift, and I have pretty red lights to move people out of my way. Becareful with speed, its amazing how many people completely over estimate their driving skills and the condition of their vehicles. And in California, wreckless is pretty much left up to the officer's determination. But 100+ is $1400, up to 3 days in jail, and god knows what to your insurance.

#15 ·
Good point, ddm... Overestimating one's driving skills is a recipe for disaster.

The generational divide here is eternal. The old farts, (me included), and the 'young gunslingers,' We know we are gonna die, you guys don't know that yet. So be prudent. We've all done the speed thing.

Embellish a little and let it go. Like the story of the guy back from the high scool date with a real hottie. The kid says to his buddy, 'you wanna know what really happened on the date or what I'm gonna tell all the guys tomorrow at school?' Of course the buddy says, ' Tell me what you're gonna say tomorrow, I'm sure it's a better story'.

Above all, let's be careful out there guys.

#18 ·
I took the CT to very high speeds when I was headed home from Florida on 95. It took me by surprise that the car was so eager to hop over that 100 mph mark lol. It was just to see what the car could do, was not an extended period of time. When I had my 08 v6 sedan, I was chasing after this dude on the Florida Turnpike at an avg of 115 for a good while. Car did not break a sweat and was surprised by how deserted the highway was. I did not realize how fast I was going and immediately slowed down because I was not by myself in the car. I am young and sometimes my foot just gets a little heavy lol. But I also know when I'm driving people around I'm responsible for them as well as myself.

I believe the highway patrol has a saying that goes "over nine you're mine." I speed sometimes but in NY its pretty much impossible to hit those kinds of speeds. Too many cars, too many crappy roads, too many cops lol. I drive normal (by normal I mean with the traffic) almost all of the time, especially if I'm not familiar with the area. Also because this is just isn't the car to do it in. Its very big and very heavy with thin tires. Maybe after my mods I'll feel different lol. I have been to race tracks but not with the CT lol. It's a lot of fun and they even dyno machines and you can get your car's actual HP.

Now in regards to the original post, I don't see any real problems with wanting to take off or adjusting the top speed limiter. It's not like he said hey I wanna drink a couple of beers and take it for a top gear test drive in a school zone at 2:30 pm. He did not specify why he wanted to it could have been for the race track, which a lot of ppl do on weekends. Also, what if he's like 50 yrs old as well and just wanted to know how to do do it. So he shouldn't have been thrown under the bus so soon. The fastest cars in the world are owned by old ppl because with few exceptions they're the only ppl that can afford the real fast cars. Of course they only speed on the race tracks (;) sure).

That being said, I know the older guys are just trying to look out and provide words of wisdom, which is appreciated. I had a friend that was on a motorcycle but someone in a car was speeding, hit him, and death was pretty much instant. I always drive defensively because I know I can only control myself and not the other people driving. But race tracks are fun and if I wasn't limited to 120 mph it would be more fun. Just not in the CT. When I go it will be in this...

#20 ·
I let the ladies answer number 2 for me ::captain morgan pose:: lol...

#22 ·
That's insane!!! The fastest I've ever gone on wheels was on the Kingda Ka at Six Flags, 0 to 128 mph in 4 seconds lol. I can't imagine wat 154 mph feels like... How did it feel going that fast?

#23 ·
You sorta lose your stomach on those gentle rolling inclines/decline you never noticed before even though I knew the road like the back of my hand. Tires were built for the speed but roads were/are not...just wanted to see if it could hit 160 where my speed odom stopped. Never made it cause I started thinking bout a defective tire or animal crossing road.

#24 ·
I guess it's a new thing with cars to have a speedo with a top speed that the car doesn't reach... I remember my dad had an oldsmobile station wagon and it's top speed was like 85... At least they were honest lol

#25 ·
LOL, I never 'met' an Oldsmobile that wouldn't do more than 85:D:D:D--lol even my Dad's old '53 Ford would go beyond that.

Anyone who put a number on the speedo to indicate so was absolutely on drugs.

That was the government's and manufacturer's vain attempt at controlling speed by strangely suggesting that the car won't go any faster so why try.:rolleyes:

LOL at the other end of the scale is my wife's new Ford Fiesta that indicates a top speed of 220kph! -- Good God, that's about 137mph --- I can't imagine that car going that fast even on a track or anywhere near it.
I'd be very surprised if it attained the century mark.

If anyone needs to know what the car is intended to do top speed wise, just go to the speed rating on the OEM tires.....for eg:

Q = speed rating of 100mph
R = speed rating of 106
S = " " " 112
T = " " " 118
U = " " " 124
H = " " " 130
V = " " " 149
W = " " " 168
Y = " " " 186!

My Crosstour came with H rated tires that would be ok for speeds up to 130.
Apparently the manufacturer decided to limit the car's top speed to less than that probably due to aerodynamics or other factors such as intended use, no possible track time and the such.

My Lexus ISF on the other hand came with Y rated tires for obvious reasons that it may be tracked and attain high speeds of up to 180+. tho Lexus apparently limited the car to about 175mph (I'VE HEARD: in another forum).
INcidently the 'F' is clocked for 300 kph! (about 186 mph!) and yes there's been some who have tried to get there.:rolleyes:

C.

#26 ·
Lol I don't remember the car but it did look like this... Definitely not the oldsmobile wagon that went like 110mph or something...

I had no idea that tires were rated this way. One day I will have to buy an ISF and take to the track!!!!! It sounds so ridiculously fun to drive!!!

#27 ·
I'm slowly preparing my mustang for it's run at Speed Week one year, plan to get into the 180mph club.

The CT will NEVER get to make a run. I can't imagine how unstable it would be at high speed on salt.

And just a little FYI, to get into a "MPH Club" you have to maintain that mph, which is a lot harder than just mashing the pedal and keeping it in a straight line. You're allowed a 5mph variance, and the run has to be done twice to be official. Not to mention the cost of the proper equipment, roll cage, forged wheels, seats, fire suit, helmet, etc. etc. etc. etc.

#30 ·
Nice picture pgarciO1. 85 mph and it has a turbo. Back when Jimmy Carter set the national speed limit at 55, most cars had an 85 mph speedo. Back in 1968 some friends and I were stopped on the Florida Tpk doing 120 during Spring Brak. The nice officer let us pay the fine in cash on the spot. The car was a new Cougar with a big block. Fun Car.

#34 ·
Lol speeding in the CT is easy, I never realize how fast I'm going until I randomly look down at the speedo smh. Its so much quieter inside than the coupe its ridiculous. The coupe may look a lot nicer but my preferred ride definitely goes to the CT, its just so comfortable...

#35 ·
The fastest I've gone in a car has been slightly over the 120+ mph mark, when I was a teen, driving an ol' ford ltd, had a big block 400 in it... that boat could move! Back then though you could tell you were flying off the rails with those cars. Nowaday's your speed is very deceptive due to the smooth ride and performance of these vehicles.

#38 ·
Word of Caution

Just a word of caution. Usually, most sites (VWVortex.com, Audiworld.com, driveraccord.net, etc... to name a few) don't allow you talk about going over the speed limit, breaking the law, and if you post what law you are breaking you are basically documenting that. Just a word to the weary. Becareful what you post on speed limits.

#39 ·
That is a precautionary measure, for sure, but just posting that you've gone a certain speed doesn't mean that you've broken a law. You'd have to be on a certain road on a certain day and whoever made attempts to prosecute would have to prove that. Just because I said I did 200 mph in a car before doesn't mean I did it on a public roadway or even broke a law. There is also a jurisdiction issue. For example, whoever were to prosecute would have to prove that I was even in their jurisdiction to be found guilt of violating their statute.

#40 ·
That is a precautionary measure, for sure, but just posting that you've gone a certain speed doesn't mean that you've broken a law. You'd have to be on a certain road on a certain day and whoever made attempts to prosecute would have to prove that. Just because I said I did 200 mph in a car before doesn't mean I did it on a public roadway or even broke a law. There is also a jurisdiction issue. For example, whoever were to prosecute would have to prove that I was even in their jurisdiction to be found guilt of violating their statute.
Agreed, but you want to take a chance?? :):) Also if you did go 200 or even 95 MPH. Where in the US besides Montana and a closed course is that legal. :) Anyway just food for thought for everybody. I for one would just becareful. You never know who is watching. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.