Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 EX-L still has the OEM tires. They need to be replaced. Their size is 225/60R 18 100H. 100H is a standard load rating.

The tires I want, Michelin CrossClimate+, don't come in 225/60R18. However, the CrossClimate SUV tires do come in that size.

Thing is, the CrossClimate SUV tire in that size has an "XL" load rating.

In other words, I'd be swapping out the manufacturer recommended standard load tire for an extra load tire.

I've tried researching XL tires and I'm not certain I understand what I've been reading.

It seems I can make the swap because I'm going up in load rating, not down.
I'm hoping someone on here can tell me if this is a good or bad idea, what I stand to lose or gain, what the risks are (if any), how the ride and handling might change, any compensation I would have to make to tire pressure, and any other information that might be useful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2014 EX-L still has the OEM tires. They need to be replaced. Their size is 225/60R 18 100H. 100H is a standard load rating.

The tires I want, Michelin CrossClimate+, don't come in 225/60R18. However, the CrossClimate SUV tires do come in that size.

Thing is, the CrossClimate SUV tire in that size has an "XL" load rating.

In other words, I'd be swapping out the manufacturer recommended standard load tire for an extra load tire.

I've tried researching XL tires and I'm not certain I understand what I've been reading.

It seems I can make the swap because I'm going up in load rating, not down.
I'm hoping someone on here can tell me if this is a good or bad idea, what I stand to lose or gain, what the risks are (if any), how the ride and handling might change, any compensation I would have to make to tire pressure, and any other information that might be useful.

Thanks.
You are correct, as long as you go with the same or higher load rating you will be fine. You may have a different pressure then your OE tires to carry the same load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Just curious how many miles you put on your original OEM tires.
Seems around 25-30k. I had mine changed at 33k or so.

I am at 78k and may need a second set probably by next year.

Thanks
JP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Just curious how many miles you put on your original OEM tires.
Seems around 25-30k. I had mine changed at 33k or so.

I am at 78k and may need a second set probably by next year.

Thanks
JP
58,000 miles right now. The warranty is for 60,000. If you get less than that, they pro-rate a replacement set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've purchased several vehicles that came factory with Firestone tires, and from that experience alone I'd never purchased a set with my own money. They never seem to come up as recommendations or top picks our performers or value. I use tire rack reviews ratings and road tests a lot. Just my opinion and certainly to each his own.

As far as XL tires I don't feel you'll regret buying them. They may have a somewhat stiffer side wall and have better response. If the ride feels too stiff I drop the air pressure 2 pounds or so and it seems to work well. Surprisingly the many XL tires cost just about the same as the standard load model. I wouldn't hesitate. Going from a vehicle that requires XL (I have three cars that do) down to a standard load is different story. Safety/insurance issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This thread caught my eye as we need tires. 2010 model, bought new in August 2011. Under 33,000 miles.

I may need some inexpensive tires to last until May when the new car is delivered and to make the car easier to sell outright or trade in.

Thinking of the cheapest name brand I could find, these Cooper Tires at $99 each.

Cooper
Evolution Tour
225 /60 R18 100H SL BSW
60,000 mile warranty

$99.00

·
Registered
18 Posts
TBH, I also posted to check my Post count as I was hoping to see the classifieds. Trade in value is very low for an excellent condition, low mileage car. Under $10,000

·
Registered
16 Posts
Zin, You might look at tires from Falken just for Ss & Gs. They are long lasting, good prices and in my experience very quiet running too.

What color is your car? You might drop me a message when you're ready to sell, all being well that is............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts