Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. I've been a bit of a lurker here for the last couple months, but I just bought a Crosstour back in April and I LOVE it!
I had an issue with local police here in Long Island, NY earlier today, and I was wondering if any of you could help...

Basically, I was stopped and issued a ticket by the police for excessive tint. The dumb a** officer said my front driver and passenger windows were 27%, and legal limit in NY is 70%. I argued with him that whatever color my windows are came from the factory and have not been altered. (The front side windows match the windshield exactly!) He blew me off and issued me a $150 ticket anyway. I called Honda service, and they said that any vehicles that come from their factory would not have tint beyond legal limit, but they couldn't provide any documentation to support this. The service guy asked if the dealer has made any alterations, and I advised him they had not... All the other Crosstours that I've seen on the road look exactly like mine, so I'm dumbfounded as to how I should go about fighting the ticket.

Please help!

·
Registered
93 Posts
IMHO...

Make a copy of your ticket. On the copy, black out everything about you (address, DL #) except for your name and make a copy of that. Take that copy to the dealership, have the highest ranking person in the place come out, look at your car and ensure they understand your position and let them physically see there is no residual tint adhesive on your windows. Have them or the regional Honda dude write a quick letter documenting your tint as being "factory glass," and leave out anything that mentions tint. From what I understand, some areas will dismiss the citation right there on the spot if another officer can inspect and verify the tint is gone. If your account is accurate, Officer Not-So-Friendly didn't even check the window edge to feel for the presence of tint film. Before you go the court route, call the district office of where you were when you got the citation and ask to speak to a supervisor. RESPECTFULLY, explain what happend and see what happens. 20% chance he/she will take care of it. If they don't, you have a letter in hand and effort on your part when you step in to what ever proceeding you have in your area to use as ammo to defend what shouldn't have to be defended.

Question though... Why were you really stopped. Not what the officer told you, but something else maybe. They may have been doing you a favor, i.e. tint ticket in lieu of speed ticket; thus, points. Just a thought.

Someone else will surely say something else, which may or may not work too.

There's always the quick way out; pay it and hope you don't see that knucklehead again.

Hope this helps... And good luck!

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Tint use to be a judgment call for the police. Most Police Officers now are given a tool called a ‘Tint Meter’. They pretty much clamp this meter to your glass and it will give a percentage of light that passes through the glass (Very accurate). Most state laws require that 70% of light must pass through. If less than that passes through, it is illegal. I just had my front windows tinted on my CT and asked them to tint it the maximum allowed by Kansas law. Many officers will give the offender the chance to immediately pull off the stick on film to comply with the law. I’ve also seen some people roll their windows down immediately so that there can now be an argument that the officer cannot feel unsafe when approaching the vehicle (which is pretty much the whole point of having too much tint). Then you can argue in court that the officer had to feel safe as the windows were completely down. Sometimes it works. Getting a letter from Honda or the dealership about the tint might work, but who is to say you didn’t remove the tint before you got a letter from the dealership? What I might have done in this same situation is to request (politely) that the officer call his supervisor. I would have also taken lots of pictures with my camera phone with the officer standing next to the tinted windows. I would have also written (when signing the ticket) that the officer did not look to see if there was window film tint, as there was none and the officer did not use a tint meter. If you had passengers with you, they should have witnessed how the officer checked that you have too much tint on your windows. Did he use a meter or the old fashion method of a tint card behind the window. A tint card is a 3x5 inch card with various tinted writing on the card. The officer tries to read the card through the tinted glass and it will give him a rough idea on the actual tint. Tint cards are usually only accurate to about 10% +/-. Can you fight this? Sure, but since it is not a moving violation, it will not go on your record and only be a fine. Only you can decide what your time is worth to spend a day in court with the possibility of losing and paying much more (Court Costs). Hope this helps. I’m attaching two pictures, one of a tint card and the other of a tint meter. There are various types, but this should give you an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have experience on both sides of this issue. I can speak to the laws and procedures here in my wonderful Commonwealth of Massachusetts, so your (proverbial) mileage may vary... but here is what I have to say:

If your windows are indeed factory, with no aftermarket tint applied, then there is no where in the United States where it should be darker than what is legal.

I too wonder why the officer pulled you over. And it sounds like he didn't use a tint meter? As stated earlier, perhaps this was a friendly ticket in lieu of something more serious? (In MA a tint ticket is pretty pricey, so it wouldn't be used in this manner.)

If you were in MA, I would give this advice:

1)Make sure you *don't* have any tint on your car.
2)Getter information from Honda (dealer, or published) that lists that tint isn't applied to front windows.
3)Contest the ticket, present the information from Honda, point out that no Tint Meter was used, and calmly explain that you believe the ticket was in error.

In MA, our tint laws state that vehicle tint can not be darker than 35%. This goes for ALL WINDOWS in a SEDAN.

The exception is for Trucks and SUVs... which the CT is classified as. Thus the rear tint (20%+) is legal. Front windows still need to be <35%

JUST THOUGT OF SOMETHING:

Perhaps the officer saw the rear tint, and cited you for that? Perhaps you have similar sedan tint laws? Even if this is the case, I would contest the ticket and explain that that is factory tint. (And the CT is classified as a "light truck" or whatever they are calling it.)

$0.02

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for your advise on the issue. I forgot to mention that I looked at the ticket again, and it says: side wings/side glass non transparent. I'm assuming based on that that he issued me this ticket for the rear side windows and side wings. Now, of I understand Ny state law, SUV's are permitted to have any tint (even darker than 70%) on the rear window, and side mirrors behind the front seat. This guy ticketed my car as if it's a regular sedan (which the Crosstour is NOT!)
I also have to mention that at the time I was ticketed I was exiting off the ramp of the parkway close to my job, and was doing no more than 25-30mph. I was not speeding, and have no existing tickets, and have never had a moving violation. This was a traffic stop situation, and the officer was standing in the middle of the exit ramp and motioned me to pull over. I also question this guys familiarity with the Crosstour's classification as a SUV because as I was sitting on the side waiting for the ticket, he waived on countless other SUVs with similar tinting as mine. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re:my prev post, I meant SUVs in Ny may have any tint (even darker than 70%) on the rear window and side windows behind the drivers seat. Sorry. Typo.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for your advise on the issue. I forgot to mention that I looked at the ticket again, and it says: side wings/side glass non transparent. I'm assuming based on that that he issued me this ticket for the rear side windows and side wings. Now, of I understand Ny state law, SUV's are permitted to have any tint (even darker than 70%) on the rear window, and side mirrors behind the front seat. This guy ticketed my car as if it's a regular sedan (which the Crosstour is NOT!)
I also have to mention that at the time I was ticketed I was exiting off the ramp of the parkway close to my job, and was doing no more than 25-30mph. I was not speeding, and have no existing tickets, and have never had a moving violation. This was a traffic stop situation, and the officer was standing in the middle of the exit ramp and motioned me to pull over. I also question this guys familiarity with the Crosstour's classification as a SUV because as I was sitting on the side waiting for the ticket, he waived on countless other SUVs with similar tinting as mine. Any thoughts??
Yeah. This sounds like what happened.

Does your registration paperwork list the classification of your vehicle? (Like SUV or Truck)

Contest the ticket and calmly explain that it's factory tint and your vehicle is an SUV.

Simple mistake on the Officer's part... It's not like many people know what a CT is! ;)

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Enacted in 1991, the New York Tint Law is pretty unique to NY. See the Vehicle and Traffic Law 375 (12-a).

For Sedans: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
For the front windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
For the rear windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear window: Any darkness can be used.

SUV or Vans: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
For the front windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
For the rear windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear window: Any darkness can be used.

In New York the tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission (VLT%). This percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window. All states are different, make sure to check your specific state for their tint law.

New York is known for having the toughest tint laws in the nation. Likely due to all the police officers who have been hurt due to tinted windows. Keep in mind that if you are from Kansas or some other state that allows front window tint and you drive in New York, you can receive a ticket due to your tinted windows. There are some exemptions in the NY law, being; If you have a doctors excuse to protect your eyes from the harsh sun rays, or any vehicle manufactured prior to 1991 due to the ‘grandfather clause’. Again, check your own state for its own individual law. This should not be deemed as legal advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, my Ny registrated considered it a "suburban." According to the NYS DMV website The law defines a suburban as a vehicle that can be used to carry passengers and cargo. Vehicles that can be registered with the suburban body type include station wagons, sport utility vehicles, hearses and ambulances. The body type code for a suburban that appears on registration documents and records is SUBN.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah, my Ny registrated considered it a "suburban." According to the NYS DMV website The law defines a suburban as a vehicle that can be used to carry passengers and cargo. Vehicles that can be registered with the suburban body type include station wagons, sport utility vehicles, hearses and ambulances. The body type code for a suburban that appears on registration documents and records is SUBN.
Granted, I'm no authority in NY.... but it sounds like you're find and well within the law. The officer just didn't catch that the CT isn't a sedan but is rather classified as an SUV.

Contest/Appeal the ticket and it should be dismissed no problem.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow, some of you guys have so pretty strick window tint rules. Here in Ontario the only rule to window tint applies to the front windshield and windows to the left and right of the driver only. And they simply can't be coloured or tinted a point where they would "substantialy obstruct the view into the motor vehicle from outside the motor vehicle"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dealing with the same thing, got pulled over for the windows in my crosstour. I have nothing but factory glass, no after market tint. From what I can tell RI law only allows 70% all around but many of the tint websites says SUVs are excluded. My registration says SDN, either way I can't imagine that a factory tint would be illegal. Now I gotta waste a day going to court :confused:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Dealing with the same thing, got pulled over for the windows in my crosstour. I have nothing but factory glass, no after market tint. From what I can tell RI law only allows 70% all around but many of the tint websites says SUVs are excluded. My registration says SDN, either way I can't imagine that a factory tint would be illegal. Now I gotta waste a day going to court :confused:
Hey, replied to your other thread. If your registration says SDN (I imagine that's code in your state for "Sedan") than it is incorrect.

Get the documentation from Honda that explains the CT's classification and then bring it to court with you.

You should then work to have your registration amended so you don't run into the same problem again.

::EDIT:: I quick google search tells me that the EPA classifies the CT as a Sedan while NHTSA classifies it as a Light Truck.

I'm still trying to find the NHTSA list. That's the one you need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey, replied to your other thread. If your registration says SDN (I imagine that's code in your state for "Sedan") than it is incorrect.

Get the documentation from Honda that explains the CT's classification and then bring it to court with you.

You should then work to have your registration amended so you don't run into the same problem again.

::EDIT:: I quick google search tells me that the EPA classifies the CT as a Sedan while NHTSA classifies it as a Light Truck.

I'm still trying to find the NHTSA list. That's the one you need.
This one says SUV (spec tab)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=31913&id=31961

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a quick note.... If NY is any thing like NC. When you do your yearly vehicle safety inspection, they use a TINT METER, to ensure tint is legal. Besides charging an additional $5.00, they notate it on your copy of the safety inspection form.

If it is the same for your state just show the judge that car passed the safety inspection.

Sorry if this was already posted....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just a quick note.... If NY is any thing like NC. When you do your yearly vehicle safety inspection, they use a TINT METER, to ensure tint is legal. Besides charging an additional $5.00, they notate it on your copy of the safety inspection form.

If it is the same for your state just show the judge that car passed the safety inspection.

Sorry if this was already posted....
That is how it is in MA as well... but the trick is to find a place that wont bother to check tint.

(But this also creates the problem when people have illegal or dangerous equipment on their vehicles but they state it's okay because they passed inspection...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts