Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 EX-L 4WD (no nav) Alabaster Silver
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, sorry in advance for the super long story, this is the most in detail I've ever described my time with this problem and its partly getting it off my chest and hopefully for more outside inputs.

It's now been 3 months since my car got a harsh rattling noise on the way to work (may 23rd, 2022). Made it to work just fine and was concerned about driving home but nowhere was open that night to get it looked at really quick. I knew it wasn't a good idea but I (tried) to drive home anyway. I made it about a mile and a half before the car shut off on the road. I drifted off to the side into a safe area and parked, called my dad, called a tow, and waited for about 2 hours. Was going maybe 40 in a 55 for that mile and a half.

I knew it was a timing belt failure almost immediately and I never had time to get it replaced over the time that I've owned the car. The noise I heard only seemed to be going on in the rear bank of cylinders so I'm guessing that cam pulley is what was able to jump and as such allowed those valves to contact the pistons. Thanks interference design. Now to the juicy mechanic troubles.

The next day we called the mechanic we had it towed to just to let them know about the very nice silver Crosstour that had appeared in their lot overnight and we wanted them to diagnose it, after about a week of no updates I went in before I had to go to work, which I'm now only doing using my dad's truck when he gets home. They told me that there was low oil and they put two quarts in it, I knew that wasn't an issue because I had done the oil 4k miles before this in late February and I had checked it the night it broke down, when I got to work and on the side of the road, oil was fine. I told them about the noises I heard and that I'm pretty positive it was a timing belt failure that affected the rear bank, suddenly something changed and he agreed with me, I wanted him to actually look into the engine to see how much damage there was and that I wanted pictures.

I think on June 17th (yeah they took their sweet time doing anything) we got an update after calling back ourselves, it needs an engine, and I never got my pictures. That day we ordered an engine off eBay from LKQ and we got our first estimate of when it would be done: 30 days or less after they receive the engine. The engine arrived on the 21st and yet again we got the same 30 or less days estimate, this time from the owner of the shop (the one who is "actually doing" the job).

Over the next month we see the car a lot while driving down the road that the shop is on (mainly because we live a mile away from it), it never moves from its spot. On July 21st I go in again and talk to them, they give me the whole spiel about how busy they are and all that but I really don't care at this point, I want to look at the engine I paid for and had sent there that's now been sitting for a month, they let me do that with no problems and I get to see how busy they really are, I counted 4 open lifts and probably 3 more stalls that just didn't have a lift, the only one that was being used had a Subaru outback on it. I go back into the office and talk with them for a bit about how busy they are, they then give me another estimate, this time for the first week in August.

At the end of the first week in August, Friday the 5th, I call and act super excited about getting my car back despite knowing it hasn't moved since it got there, and I had even seen it that day too, same exact spot, whereas everything else around it has moved. I get to talk to the owner again and he gives me the exact same spiel about being busy that the other guy gave me, down to the exact jobs that they still have to do: 2 valve jobs and another engine. He then tells me that they won't even get to it for another 3 weeks. By this point I'm pissed at him and tell him that: "its been double the time you originally told me" "bullshit you guys are busy" "do you just not want to work on my car?" just doesn't seem to care whatsoever.

So far my estimates have been:
June 17th & 21st: 30 days from engine arrival
July 21st: First week of august
August 5th: 3 more weeks

It's now halfway into that third week and I'm sure they wont do anything more besides push it back further and further. Every other shop in a reasonable distance around me either doesn't replace engines or is actually busy. My mistake to begin with was not getting the timing belt done over the year I've owned it, which I'm confident in doing myself I just never had time due to work and school, only reason I'm surviving now is by it being summer and still having school hours for work, if my dad didn't have the same schedule for work every day I wouldn't have reliable hours or at worst, a job at all.

This shop has literally stolen my summer away from me, I could've been working a lot more, could've gotten an actual job, I haven't hung out with friends in forever because I literally can't do anything else.

Okay, story's over for now, any recommendations on what to do or even places in Kenosha, WI that aren't backed up horribly and do engines (and that do them quickly). Thank you for reading my ramblings, feels better to get this out more.

·
Administrator
836 Posts
Quite often a shop will put off a job that they really don't want to do or quoted too low. I don't know how much you paid for the replacement engine but I think if it were my vehicle I would find another shop, explain (be honest) to them and have another shop do it. Once you start becoming a pain in the butt of a shop, they will find a way to get you back. Don't deal with a shop like this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite often a shop will put off a job that they really don't want to do or quoted too low. I don't know how much you paid for the replacement engine but I think if it were my vehicle I would find another shop, explain (be honest) to them and have another shop do it. Once you start becoming a pain in the butt of a shop, they will find a way to get you back. Don't deal with a shop like this.
We paid 2000 for the engine and it has 94k miles, I recently found out that the 2013-18 Acura RDX uses our engine and looking on LKQ's page again shows them going for less than 1000 with way lower miles, specifically if you look for 2016-18. So we probably overpaid by a lot and we don't really have a choice but to use it now. We haven't even been quoted an exact price, only in the range of 2k, which is in line with what a couple other shops have told me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today marks 101 days since the engine went out, and 72 since the engine showed up at the shop. On the 26th my dad got a call from the owner saying that they "should start work in the first week of september" obviously they're waiting until the very end of the first week right, since it still hasn't moved. Update coming: after you hear about a mechanic's shop burning down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, time for an overdue update I think. That friday when my mom was heading to work she said she didn't see the car, so we were happy that they finally started working on it. Dead wrong, they just moved it to the very back of the lot where you can't see it from the road, I found out after driving back there at like 11:20 at night this wednesday, then on thursday right before I went to work I stopped in and "voiced my opinion". We called today to tell them to discharge the A/C so that we can swap it ourselves (finally convinced my dad that we can do this). On sunday we're going to harbor freight to get a crane and a stand and then monday, they should do the ac discharge and we're towing it home. If all goes to plan then I should have an update on it on the 12th. Getting parts (gaskets, timing kit) might take a few days longer but maybe by the 21st I should have it all finished up, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Short overdue update, pictures of the process will come when I'm done with the project, but we have the car back, still getting everything unbolted and disconnected for removal and prepping the replacement for the new parts, crank pulley bolt sucks (any suggestions appreciated).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Short overdue update, pictures of the process will come when I'm done with the project, but we have the car back, still getting everything unbolted and disconnected for removal and prepping the replacement for the new parts, crank pulley bolt sucks (any suggestions appreciated).
Impact wrench and/or special tool for crank pulley bolt
Lisle 77080

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ericthecarguy has a lot of well produced Honda videos mostly about Honda that are helpful on YouTube. He recently did an engine removal on a V6 Pilot that will be helpful and he has a good TB video also.
Im actually using his series on the 04 TL engine swap for most of the guidance on this, although almost all of the honda v6s are very similar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts