Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 EX-L 4WD (no nav) Alabaster Silver
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, sorry in advance for the super long story, this is the most in detail I've ever described my time with this problem and its partly getting it off my chest and hopefully for more outside inputs.

It's now been 3 months since my car got a harsh rattling noise on the way to work (may 23rd, 2022). Made it to work just fine and was concerned about driving home but nowhere was open that night to get it looked at really quick. I knew it wasn't a good idea but I (tried) to drive home anyway. I made it about a mile and a half before the car shut off on the road. I drifted off to the side into a safe area and parked, called my dad, called a tow, and waited for about 2 hours. Was going maybe 40 in a 55 for that mile and a half.

I knew it was a timing belt failure almost immediately and I never had time to get it replaced over the time that I've owned the car. The noise I heard only seemed to be going on in the rear bank of cylinders so I'm guessing that cam pulley is what was able to jump and as such allowed those valves to contact the pistons. Thanks interference design. Now to the juicy mechanic troubles.

The next day we called the mechanic we had it towed to just to let them know about the very nice silver Crosstour that had appeared in their lot overnight and we wanted them to diagnose it, after about a week of no updates I went in before I had to go to work, which I'm now only doing using my dad's truck when he gets home. They told me that there was low oil and they put two quarts in it, I knew that wasn't an issue because I had done the oil 4k miles before this in late February and I had checked it the night it broke down, when I got to work and on the side of the road, oil was fine. I told them about the noises I heard and that I'm pretty positive it was a timing belt failure that affected the rear bank, suddenly something changed and he agreed with me, I wanted him to actually look into the engine to see how much damage there was and that I wanted pictures.

I think on June 17th (yeah they took their sweet time doing anything) we got an update after calling back ourselves, it needs an engine, and I never got my pictures. That day we ordered an engine off eBay from LKQ and we got our first estimate of when it would be done: 30 days or less after they receive the engine. The engine arrived on the 21st and yet again we got the same 30 or less days estimate, this time from the owner of the shop (the one who is "actually doing" the job).

Over the next month we see the car a lot while driving down the road that the shop is on (mainly because we live a mile away from it), it never moves from its spot. On July 21st I go in again and talk to them, they give me the whole spiel about how busy they are and all that but I really don't care at this point, I want to look at the engine I paid for and had sent there that's now been sitting for a month, they let me do that with no problems and I get to see how busy they really are, I counted 4 open lifts and probably 3 more stalls that just didn't have a lift, the only one that was being used had a Subaru outback on it. I go back into the office and talk with them for a bit about how busy they are, they then give me another estimate, this time for the first week in August.

At the end of the first week in August, Friday the 5th, I call and act super excited about getting my car back despite knowing it hasn't moved since it got there, and I had even seen it that day too, same exact spot, whereas everything else around it has moved. I get to talk to the owner again and he gives me the exact same spiel about being busy that the other guy gave me, down to the exact jobs that they still have to do: 2 valve jobs and another engine. He then tells me that they won't even get to it for another 3 weeks. By this point I'm pissed at him and tell him that: "its been double the time you originally told me" "bullshit you guys are busy" "do you just not want to work on my car?" just doesn't seem to care whatsoever.

So far my estimates have been:
June 17th & 21st: 30 days from engine arrival
July 21st: First week of august
August 5th: 3 more weeks

It's now halfway into that third week and I'm sure they wont do anything more besides push it back further and further. Every other shop in a reasonable distance around me either doesn't replace engines or is actually busy. My mistake to begin with was not getting the timing belt done over the year I've owned it, which I'm confident in doing myself I just never had time due to work and school, only reason I'm surviving now is by it being summer and still having school hours for work, if my dad didn't have the same schedule for work every day I wouldn't have reliable hours or at worst, a job at all.

This shop has literally stolen my summer away from me, I could've been working a lot more, could've gotten an actual job, I haven't hung out with friends in forever because I literally can't do anything else.

Okay, story's over for now, any recommendations on what to do or even places in Kenosha, WI that aren't backed up horribly and do engines (and that do them quickly). Thank you for reading my ramblings, feels better to get this out more.

· Administrator
845 Posts
Quite often a shop will put off a job that they really don't want to do or quoted too low. I don't know how much you paid for the replacement engine but I think if it were my vehicle I would find another shop, explain (be honest) to them and have another shop do it. Once you start becoming a pain in the butt of a shop, they will find a way to get you back. Don't deal with a shop like this.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite often a shop will put off a job that they really don't want to do or quoted too low. I don't know how much you paid for the replacement engine but I think if it were my vehicle I would find another shop, explain (be honest) to them and have another shop do it. Once you start becoming a pain in the butt of a shop, they will find a way to get you back. Don't deal with a shop like this.
We paid 2000 for the engine and it has 94k miles, I recently found out that the 2013-18 Acura RDX uses our engine and looking on LKQ's page again shows them going for less than 1000 with way lower miles, specifically if you look for 2016-18. So we probably overpaid by a lot and we don't really have a choice but to use it now. We haven't even been quoted an exact price, only in the range of 2k, which is in line with what a couple other shops have told me.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today marks 101 days since the engine went out, and 72 since the engine showed up at the shop. On the 26th my dad got a call from the owner saying that they "should start work in the first week of september" obviously they're waiting until the very end of the first week right, since it still hasn't moved. Update coming: after you hear about a mechanic's shop burning down.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, time for an overdue update I think. That friday when my mom was heading to work she said she didn't see the car, so we were happy that they finally started working on it. Dead wrong, they just moved it to the very back of the lot where you can't see it from the road, I found out after driving back there at like 11:20 at night this wednesday, then on thursday right before I went to work I stopped in and "voiced my opinion". We called today to tell them to discharge the A/C so that we can swap it ourselves (finally convinced my dad that we can do this). On sunday we're going to harbor freight to get a crane and a stand and then monday, they should do the ac discharge and we're towing it home. If all goes to plan then I should have an update on it on the 12th. Getting parts (gaskets, timing kit) might take a few days longer but maybe by the 21st I should have it all finished up, fingers crossed.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Short overdue update, pictures of the process will come when I'm done with the project, but we have the car back, still getting everything unbolted and disconnected for removal and prepping the replacement for the new parts, crank pulley bolt sucks (any suggestions appreciated).

· Registered
92 Posts
Short overdue update, pictures of the process will come when I'm done with the project, but we have the car back, still getting everything unbolted and disconnected for removal and prepping the replacement for the new parts, crank pulley bolt sucks (any suggestions appreciated).
Impact wrench and/or special tool for crank pulley bolt
Lisle 77080

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ericthecarguy has a lot of well produced Honda videos mostly about Honda that are helpful on YouTube. He recently did an engine removal on a V6 Pilot that will be helpful and he has a good TB video also.
Im actually using his series on the 04 TL engine swap for most of the guidance on this, although almost all of the honda v6s are very similar.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About time for another update on this project considering I finished on the 20th of december

to get the crank pulley bolt off I did use that 77080 socket and my uncle's Ingersoll Rand air impact cause my 3/8" milwaukee wasnt doing it and neither was a coworkers 1/2" dewalt, anyway, I did the timing belt with the "new" engine on a pallet which is definitely easier than in the car.

The most annoying part of this whole thing was definitely the flex pipe, the studs from the cats going to it were impossible to get out with normal means, I had to cut the flex pipe to get access. removing the rusted studs from the cats was also a chore but I did it and was able to reuse the cats, I got a used flex pipe off of ebay and installed that with bolts, nuts, and lock washers from menards, works great.

I pulled the engine a total of 3 times:

1 old out
new in
2 new out to fix torque converter install (whole other part to this story)
new in with the torque converter installed right
3 new out for the transmission being bad
new back in for the last time with a replacement transmission.

after we took the old engine out for the first time we had a hell of a time figuring out why it wouldnt disconnect from the transmission, the little dust shield that gives access to the bellhousing and torque converter bolts was still on and using all of its sheet metal and m4 bolt strength to hold it together, once we figured that out we got the transmission off and somewhat dangerously set on the ground, now we had to deal with getting the torque converter off the old engine which, if done properly comes off with the transmission, this was anything but proper. Instead of doing anything the right way involving the transmission I bolted it to the new engine and then attached the transmission, we never checked if it spun after installing it cause why wouldn't it. well you have to line the splines up on the TC and the trans or its basically locked up, thats when we had to pull it a second time, only found out when we were trying to start it so we had everything bolted back up besides the flex pipe. we pull it and install the TC and trans correctly, i say we but this is 90% me at this point, uncle and dad are a lot busier than i am as a kid out of highschool and only having a part time job from 4pm-8pm on a few weekdays. after all that is installed correctly, and i get a new gasket for the starter that we messed up, we're able to actually start it, and start it does (open headers sounds amazing on these things). smoked quite a bit but it sounded very healthy and the smoke died down, that night i was trying to rev it but it wouldnt and i didn't know why, whatever, next morning we take a look at it and pull codes, throttle position sensor circuit open, bruh i forgot to plug in the throttle body, now with open headers it can actually rev and sounds even better, next comes the discovery of the transmission not working. while the car is still on jack stands (parking brake on cause 4wd) i put it through the gears to test them all, what i could anyway, park, neutral, reverse, and first are about it for now. park and neutral dont move the wheels obviously, drive moves em forward, cool, reverse doesnt do anything................ im very upset at this point but still want to drive it so i put the wheels on and see if it moves, its still open headers at this point too, i drive around my block trying not to piss off my neighbors anymore than i have but some are proud to see it finally moving after 3.5 months. it drives fine for what speeds i could get up to, maybe 30mph, but thats not enough to get into 4th and 5th, little do i know yet that those have problems. reverse still doesnt work but I want to actually drive this thing, i put the flex pipe back on to quiet it down and it sounds really good still, not in an exhaust leak kind of way but in a "i installed half the intake to hear it growl" kind of way, anyway, i go and drive it and once im going down the road at 40 i try and accelerate a little bit and it flies to 7k rpm, woah thats not good, put it in d3 and im fine, so it must be something shift solenoid related, over the next couple days im looking at the codes that say shift solenoid d circuit something something, stuck on or off i dont remember, but that must be my issue, so i get to the solenoids and swap 2 that are identical to see if anything changes, nope, out of luck, we decide to get a replacement transmission the next day, 200+200 for shipping. whats weird is 2wd ones were going for 400, double the cost of 4wd ones, im not one to complain about getting a cheaper transmission with more features. here comes pull 3, take the transmission off (properly this time) and install the new one properly, the dipstick got bent in shipping, tightly wrapped in plastic, so i used mine, holy **** that was a pain, beating the old transmission so the tube would come out took at least 30 minutes and i mightve cried along the way, whatever, all of that is said and done and i put it back in the car, blah blah connect wires and tubes, it barely starts. great. i try and have it run to throw codes at me and i get like 4 misfire codes, looking at my scantool here, report from 12/17/22, p0351 0352 0355 and 0356, so its coils, not too bad considering i have a second harness with 6 more, so i swap them all in and load it up with dielectric grease to give it the best chance, its somehow worse but better, it starts less but i was able to get a second run of codes this time it was 1 5 and 6, so i got rid of one. i gave up for the next couple days, on the 20th me and dad push it into the garage and turn the heat on, cause it was like 15 out or something, and i rig up a contraption consisting of alligator clamps, a coil connector that i cut off the second harness, and a test light. this was for testing the coils to see if they gave spark, i tested one, it clicked, i put a plug in it and did it again, i saw it spark, cool this death trap works for testing these things. i test all 12 that i had, AND ALL 12 WORKED. so now im very confused and just plug 6 of em back in along with new bosch iridium plugs i got, and it fires right up, we think the heated garage helped it out some. anyway im super excited and i even back it out of the garage, yay reverse works so that probably means 4th and 5th work as well. absolutely 0 codes from this point and i floor it down the road with open headers, that was so much fun especially cause it was like 8pm. i pull back in the garage and put the exhaust on after chilling for a while, and then i put the bumper and lights back on, and now i have a complete crosstour again, for about 900 miles and exactly one month, see the 2010 crosstour came with a hydraulic serpentine belt tensioner, the one made of cheap aluminum that you have to go super slow with, im impatient and want it done, i stripped like 3 of them and on the 4th one i didnt have to take the belt off anymore. 2011 changed it to a mechanical tensioner. the reason im going to detail about this is because the bolt holding in the tensioner to the a/c bracket sheared off and i lost the belt, thankfully i was backing into a parking space doing a delivery for work so it couldve been a lot worse like open throttle on the highway which had happened 13 days prior. so my car is currently in the parking lot of a hospital job site. my mom came and picked me up, we went back home, i grabbed tools to get the part out and we went back, i got the tensioner out along with the bracket, which involved taking off the passenger side cooling fan, removing the alternator and unbolting the a/c compressor. on the way from rockauto i have the mechanical tensioner for a 2011 crosstour and on the way from hondapartsnow i have the a/c bracket for a 2011 crosstour, after this change i'm pretty sure theres no way to tell my 2010 apart from a 2011. hopefully i get the parts and finish this coming week, tensioner says sunday, hondapartsnow hasnt shipped yet.

sorry for the wall of text i really dont feel like reviewing it but if you want to read through it all go ahead, its nice to get my thoughts out there when not many people around me are as into cars as i am. ive got pictures too

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh i also painted the intake and valve covers cause i dont like the "beauty" cover 12/10/22
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Building

making deliveries for work 1/18/23
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

sheared bolt in the ac bracket 1/20/23
Black Automotive tire Bicycle chain Bicycle part Wood

what the assembly looks like out of the car (held up with tape and a paper towel roll) 1/20/23
Computer monitor Table Cameras & optics Building Automotive design

1 - 11 of 11 Posts