Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anyone is considering the factory roof rack and a Thule Cargo Carrier. I just installed the Thule Ascent 1500 carrier on my CT w/factory roof rack. Looks great and the road noise is negligible. I mounted it with about an inch gap between the rear of the Thule and the antenna. This pretty much centered the Thule on the roof rack. After taking the pictures I noticed the rear decals were off center and slanted. Damn quality control coming out of Thule. I peeled the stickers off and reapplied them. Although I didn't bother taking another picture. See the pictures below:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for the pictures!

I installed the roof rack recently and have wondered myself how a cargo box on top would look.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sweet! Good choice.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
looks real nice good job

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have you taken a road trip with that on... how's it affect aerodynamic's / gas mileage? How's it's ease of use?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I took it for a short drive after installing it to check for wind noise. I didn't think the wind noise was too bad. Especially if the sunroof is closed and the sun roof ceiling panel also closed. I then removed it and stored it in the garage. We are taking a vacation to Florida this month and will driving at least 2,200 miles. I will report back after our trip to let you know what kind of mileage we get.

It was a breeze to install. I am 6' 4" tall so I was able to place it on top of the CT by myself without much trouble. Then inside the carrier there are 4 knobs that you crank down that close the "crab claw" style grips that pinch the roof rack. Once installed it is very easy to open this carrier from either the drivers or passengers side of the vehicle. Both sides have a key lock (same key). I didn't want a carrier that you could only load from the rear because the hatchback would prevent easy loading. I think this is the right size (not too big and not too small) and right design for my CT.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we just returned from a 2200+ mile trip to Florida and back. The Crosstour performed excellent. Even with the Thule Cargo Carrier on top we averaged 25 mpg (according to the computer). During my wifes daily commute (50 miles of rural highway round trip) she averages 23 mpg. So, 25 mpg highway at ~65 mph average isn't too shaby with a cargo box attached.

This Thule is very aerodynamic and it produces hardly any noise that could be heard from the passenger compartment. We managed to stuff 3 huge rolling duffel bags, an overnight bag for toiletries and a bunch of shoes in the cargo carrier. We mostly used the rear of the CT for small loose items, pillows and a cooler full of drinks and road snacks.

During our 2200+ mile trip we saw only 2 other Crosstours. One was a mirror image of ours (minus the roof rack bars and cargo carrier) that approached us from the rear on I-4 East near Lake City Florida. They waved as they went by and then continued on.

The Crosstour was very comfortable and pleasurable to drive during this trip. I am looking forward to our next road trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts