Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm coming up on a major milestone birthday and have decided to buy myself a new car. Right now I have a 2001 Honda CR-V that I've loved so much that at first I only wanted a new CR-V. I went to the dealership to check it out, then saw the Crosstour and that was pretty much it. The more I've been reading about it, checking it out (and lurking here!), that's most likely what I'll get. So I'm saving up the down payment and have a few more questions if you would be so kind...

I'm leaning toward the V6 2WD w/Navi. Yeah, I could get a TomTom and/or navi app on my iPhone, but I like the single, bigger screen in the dash, a nearby dealer quoted me a surprisingly discounted price for a '13 w/navi, and as someone pointed out here, an inboard navi can't be lost or stolen. Anyway. What I'm curious about is the upgrade CDs mentioned and satellite/traffic subscription costs. I can't find info on that anywhere. How often do the upgrade CDs come out, how much do they cost, are they worth it, can you skip any or do you have to buy each one, etc.? And would I have to stay subscribed to satellite radio or HondaLink or something to keep the navi usable? My job may soon entail driving to unfamiliar places by myself, so the real-world cost of keeping the navi up-to-date is an important consideration.

I've also heard conflicting things about whether the CT V6 takes 89 octane gas just like my CR-V or 'requires' premium only.

And finally, a minor question about the keyless entry: so if the smart key just has to be in my purse to unlock the door, does that mean if I accidentally lock my purse and key in the car, I can still get back in? That would be nice.

Thanks for your patience with all these newbie questions. You gotta remember, I'm coming from a very lo-tech base model CR-V, so this is all new to me!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can only address the question about the gasoline. 89 octane is great. I bought the first CT in 2011 following the tsunami in Japan. There were no Accord EXL-6's available in white. The dealer was preping a white CT EXL-6 and asked if we would consider that. We have loved it so much that we now have a 2012 CT EXL-6 to share the garage (both 2WD). On the road from OH to FL we were able to get 30 mpg with the 89 octane gas. I already had a Garmin and couldn't see spending the extra $$ for the navi. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can only address the question about the gasoline. 89 octane is great. I bought the first CT in 2011 following the tsunami in Japan. There were no Accord EXL-6's available in white. The dealer was preping a white CT EXL-6 and asked if we would consider that. We have loved it so much that we now have a 2012 CT EXL-6 to share the garage (both 2WD). On the road from OH to FL we were able to get 30 mpg with the 89 octane gas. I already had a Garmin and couldn't see spending the extra $$ for the navi. Hope this helps.
Very interesting. So it may just be worth the extra change at the pump for the higher octane fuel. I may have to try this and see if i get better fuel economy. :)

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
The Garmin StreetPilot® Onboard for iPhone costs about $50.

All of the data (maps) are self-contained on the phone. You can store routes.

You can convert it to Walking Mode and use it to guide you through any outdoors terrain and mid-city caverns.

You can add a mass transit feature. I have Chicago.

Software updates are free (just got one that improves HandsFree bluetooth speaker function).

The clip to hold it in place just below the center display is $30.

You can also buy a tracking device called a GTU-10 to install in your car and it will guide you or the police to the vehicle's current location (parking lot or stolen) or even track it as it moves. Über Cool. I love mine.

Just saying................

I can post pics of it if you wish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great info about the Garmin app and GTU-10, thanks! Even if I do get the inboard navi, that could still be nifty stuff to have around.

I'm just so amazed at all the tech features on this car, and kinda bewildered that so many of them are not (yet) offered on the CR-V. And shallow as it might sound, I really don't like the new CR-V body design that much.

That said, I was so surprised to read all the negative reviews of the CT body design--I don't think it looks the least bit ugly or bloated. I really don't get the online hatefest I've seen in some comments sections about this car. I think it's a gorgeous, brilliant design, especially for someone like me who wants to carry a bit more than a sedan can handle, yet wants some sporty style and amazing tech features. I heard Acura's killing the ZDX, but I sure hope Honda keeps the Crosstour around a while longer. They need to promote it better. I never heard of it before seeing it in the showroom, and people I've been talking car stuff with had never heard of it, either. Several of them have since checked it out on Honda's site and liked it. A friend of mine who's bought only Toyota Camrys every few years for the past 15-20 years has kinda soured on those now (she doesn't think her latest one has held up as well and she's mad at both nearby Toyota service centers)--so now I've even got her thinking about a CT. Hope Honda gets better at promoting this car. I think the sedan/wagon/crossover thing is just going to get more and more popular.

Edited to add thanks to Gyost for confirming that good ol' 89 octane will work just fine. Good mileage, too!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I heard Acura's killing the ZDX, but I sure hope Honda keeps the Crosstour around a while longer.
I looked at the ZDX and chose the CT over it. As much as they seem alike, they are not so. The Acura is more like someone wanted a tech-loaded sedan in a coupe body. The CT, on the other hand, is a tall Accord station wagon, IMHO.

Moreover, the ability to have a 192 bhp I4 motor to economically accommodate all of the long distance trips I take in my retirement won the day for the CT with me. I'll be making two round trips each from Chicago to Boston and Chicago to Atlanta this year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We chose to forego the navi because we plan on keeping the car a while. It sounds like you do too. Imagine if your CRV had a built in nav screen. With how fast screen technology is changing, it would be like having a black and white tv in your car in 8 years. You would be better off with an extended warranty or a lower payment IMO. Oh, and the car only requires 87 octane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 AWD V6 with Navi. I like the NAVI.

If you just want something to go from point A to B, the built-in Navi may be hard to justify. However, there is an abundance of features including the seamless voice command plus integration with radio and phone. Several co-workers are always impressed with it when they travel with me. I drive 30K a year for work and not always to the same place. Had NAVI on my previous 2 cars and never upgraded the disks. Occasionally (rarely was lead astray). I like the convenience. I have a Garmin for when I fly and rent a car. I miss the ease of use and all the features when I am not in the CT with NAVI. With the discount I got, I would not be without it.

I burn 87 Octane. Have fun shopping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have to second the opinion that having the NAVI is a big improvement.

On the 13 model, it also gives you the touch screen Pandora, AHA applications along with bluetooth streaming.

The ability to press one button on the steering wheel and give a command like "Find nearest pizza" and boom up comes different options you can choose. Then you say "number 2" for instance because that's the pizza place you want to go and the route is plugged in.

Traffic re-routing also is a nice benefit too. No cost to traffic. Free from lifetime.

As far as the keyless entry, can't lock youself outside, car knows when you leave key inside versus outside,

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Just to update the $50 Garmin with iPhone features:

-iPhone has voice command calling. My contact database on the phone has over 400 entries.
-My iPhone has both Pandora and Radio365 on it.
-You can download TV programs like the Sky Sports F1 pre-race, race and post-race shows and am able to view them when stopping for rest or food or you can watch a movie.
-Garmin on my iPhone has current traffic reporting and re-routing
-Garmin on iPhone also has traffic camera warnings and provides known speed trap warnings which is really helpful in Chicago
-Garmin on iPhone allows you to do custom routing with up to 25 waypoints. When I drive to Atlanta I use this to plot back road routes through the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee.
-Garmin on iPhone also has numerous POI data including food services. My iPhone also has Google maps for the same use.
-Garmin on iPhone also downloads Wikipedia POI data making it a virtual national tour guide.
-I can take all of these conveniences with me when I fly and rent a car as I did two weeks ago in Florida. I also used the tracker to find my car in the parking garage on my return to Chicago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My humble input...

Hello Austingal, I've read all your posts and threads and just wanted to offer you this...if you're still shopping...I've had my CT(2012 v6 exl 4wd SatNav) for only 2 months, but here is what I feel. It's the BEST! Runs great on regular gas; ride, fit and finish is impeccable; the technical features are just enough for me without being overwhelming(a technophobe by nature:confused:)
SatNav is great because of all the other features that come with it. Simple, but useful, Calculator, Calander, Voice Command, etc.. I consider the CT Honda's Flagship vehicle...hence, it is not cheap. What I paid...well, I paid what I felt it was worth to have the best car of the Honda lineup. Also, the fact that the CT is Honda's little-known secret is great for that feeling of exclusivity when driving it around town. Mine is the only Black one in town of 4 white and 1 grey others.
My advice, it's your birthday, Happy Birthday btw, treat yourself to the best car you'll own to date.
Also, at my age(57), one thing I've learned, buy local if at all possible. It seems that every car buyer puts the "deal" as paramount, but dealing with the local dealer has greater benefits. I've bought 4 vehicles from my local Honda/VW dealership and when I go in there...well, I experience treatment that I'm sure I would not receive if I went out of town. It's also very convenient.
Hope this helps in some way. Best of luck on your quest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have owned my Crosstour since 2010 and it is a very well built car. Fuel mileage over the road is good and around town 18 to 19. This is a very solid car. It is a big car by my standards. If you really liked your CR V the new ones are very good as well. If I was looking to buy a new Crosstour I would look at the 4 cyl but the V-6 performs very nicely in this car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a 2013 CT V6, 4wd w/ navi in January and love the car. My previous car was a 2005 Pilot. There is a lot of technology in the CT that took a while, and reading the manual, to understand all it can do. The manual says to put regular, 89 oct., gas in and I am pleased with the gas mileage I'm getting, low 20's in the city with lots of stops, 34-37 mpg on highways. I do miss the amount of storage I had with the Pilot but the CT is way more sporty and fun to drive, it's also a car that you don't see everywhere.
The car senses the key, so if the car is off, it will not let you lock the key inside.
You don't have to subscribe to XM for the navi and don't have to buy the update cd's to make the navi work. It depends on where you travel, rual? New streets/developments?
When I was looking at the CT, the dealer let me test drive the car for 24 hours and that was nice. After driving it for half a day I knew it was for me.
Good luck.

--------------------
2013 CT v6, 4wd w/ navi

·
Registered
45 Posts
Austingal,

I also forgot to mention that when you add the Navi in the 2013 model you also get a hard drive to store music on. No need to plug in a ipod or iphone to have all your music. You can also voice command any song or artist that you want to hear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Regular 87 octane gas

Sorry, I quoted the wrong octane for the 2013 CT, the manual says "reg 87 octane gas".

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2013/Crosstour/manuals

I bought a 2013 CT V6, 4wd w/ navi in January and love the car. My previous car was a 2005 Pilot. There is a lot of technology in the CT that took a while, and reading the manual, to understand all it can do. The manual says to put regular, 89 oct., gas in and I am pleased with the gas mileage I'm getting, low 20's in the city with lots of stops, 34-37 mpg on highways. I do miss the amount of storage I had with the Pilot but the CT is way more sporty and fun to drive, it's also a car that you don't see everywhere.
The car senses the key, so if the car is off, it will not let you lock the key inside.
You don't have to subscribe to XM for the navi and don't have to buy the update cd's to make the navi work. It depends on where you travel, rual? New streets/developments?
When I was looking at the CT, the dealer let me test drive the car for 24 hours and that was nice. After driving it for half a day I knew it was for me.
Good luck.

--------------------
2013 CT v6, 4wd w/ navi

·
Registered
2 Posts
We Are In LOVE with the CT, 2012 V6 w/ Nav- 42K miles - Commuting 85 miles r/t from the country to the city...we needed something that could handle the country roads full of snow, the power to merge out into NYC metro highway traffic, big enough to transport our mutt plus baggage, but something that handled tight enough so we wouldn't miss our Audi Quattro too much...
This car is BETTER than we could have hoped for. Acts like a truck, but feels like a sports car. Highly recommend it- only problem we've had so far is the rotors keep wearing unevenly. Annoying but at least an aftermarket upgrade is only $200. Hopefully the 2013 has heavier brakes.
There aren't many vehicles that stand out-this one is exceptional. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know why anyone would buy a 2WD CT - if you can live without 4WD there are so many alternatives but I do like the curb weight of the CT so I guess I can understand that. :)

In 2013 the incremental cost of the Navi hardly seems worth it. Sure it would be nice to have the GPS built-in rather than just use my phone or a cheap GPS (which I never mount, it just sits on the passenger seat), but for $1000? The other additional features seemed even sillier. The EX-L is nicely loaded ( I love the right side camera and lane detection ).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts