Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say that global warming will cause the weather to have more extreme Hot Hots & Cold Colds. I think they got this one right, grant you that the car temperature is not accurate. It was actually 109 and the hottest temperature we have had in KC in 27 years. Makes me think how fragile we Humans are.....

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I agree its crazy !

·
Super Moderator
373 Posts
Wow 109 is HOT. We hit a record high of 103 (with very high humidity as well) in the DC area one day the other week and my CT's thermo was right on the money.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Heat index today was 117*.

I don't believe in Global Warming. Weather has only been recorded for a very short time, and for the minimal amount of data that was collected, there is no way to know how the weather cycles, it could be every 100yrs, every 1000yrs, etc that temperatures rise and drop by a few degrees.

Humans aren't all that fragile, they've existed for thousands of years in various climates, we're pretty good at adapting. Just imagine how crappy it would be if it were a mere 50 years ago, before A/C was EVERYWHERE! LOL

·
Registered
184 Posts
Heat index today was 117*.

I don't believe in Global Warming. Weather has only been recorded for a very short time, and for the minimal amount of data that was collected, there is no way to know how the weather cycles, it could be every 100yrs, every 1000yrs, etc that temperatures rise and drop by a few degrees.

Humans aren't all that fragile, they've existed for thousands of years in various climates, we're pretty good at adapting. Just imagine how crappy it would be if it were a mere 50 years ago, before A/C was EVERYWHERE! LOL
Hrmm … Touchy subject, but I’m game. :D

I would not dismiss the notion of a global warming event, nor will I voucher that such an event is taking place.

Your statement that there is no way to know whether or not there are past weather cycles that occurred prior to our recording - works for and against the notion of a global warming trend. One thing is true, however, wild temperature fluctuations have been witnessed and recorded in the past *albeit not scientifically* and have been linked to monumental natural events, such as major volcanoes erupting, triggering mini-ice ages (which is usually an antecedent to excessive volcanic activity - quite the opposite of our current warming trend).

Our understanding of global climactic conditions is limited due to the sheer complexity of prerequisites that affect our environment. We would be unwise to assume that Lehman and politicians can accurately predict the long term direction of our environment without the advanced knowledge and study prescribed by learned scientists who have dedicated many years to the study of environmental afflictions and its associated weather phenomenon.

People are quick to lay judgment on others; simply for disagreeing with them (everybody knows this). You are either categorized as the person living in the dark ages with “The Earth is flat” mentality, or the Chicken Little follower that believes that indeed, the sky is falling. It’s all amusing for now … but realize that evidence provides absolute proof (as in the very limited and short time period we have been recording temperature), whereas, no evidence gives proof to neither antagonists nor protagonists on the global warming theorem (as in your statement above).

To reiterate: Arguing against - I believe that the global warming theorem is tenuous and climactic conditions are never constant; I would be hard pressed to consider this stint of excessively warm weather as volatile or serious. To argue for – I believe that we, as humans, indeed play a significant role in attenuating our environment to fit our needs (like keeping my Crosstour AC on MAX w/ Recycle), in most cases, without any forethought or consideration to the micro or macro eco-structure and we would be fools to think otherwise. To either be dismissive of our effect on global warming, or to simply just “wait and see”, could have very dire consequences.

The biggest question still: Is a good idea to take pre-cautions and find innovative and cost-effective ways to reduce our “footprint”? How much of our resources should we prescribe to adhere toward environmentalist ideals? :confused:

I know *I* don't want to throw my money at something that I can't perceive will give me an immediate ROI. So that leaves … how much am I willing to spend for just a "feel good" factor? The Crosstour VCM feature does a benifet that does two things - gives me the "feel good" factor of reducing overall emissions, and gives me a "feel GREAT" factor of not spending so much at the gas pump.

*Did you notice how I strategicly included "Crosstour" related information to keep this kina' on topic? :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
you are truly sublime WhytTyger...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sorry Ryan, it is global warming. I just checked with Al Gore through HIS internet and he confirmed it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Maybe the word fragile was not the right word to use I should have used testy to climatic changes.

Now, for the real question, Global Warming; Yes, I do believe in global warming and it is having an effect on our current climate. There have been too many weather pattern changes for me to assume anything else. Just look at our most recent tornado season. We had a record number of tornados and in place that do not normally get tornados or as bad as some were. I not an expert in weather but I am smart enough to realize that we are in the some sort of climatic change. I do believe Humans can survive most if not all climatic changes what worries me is what will not survive, plants, animals and other food sources. I remember something from my youth, not sure if it is from the bible or something I just read but it went like this “Man will not go out with a bang but with a whimper”.

·
Registered
621 Posts
There is *no* debate in the scientific community as to whether Climate Change (and Global Warming) is occurring.

This American Life just did a segment with a High School freshman who is having trouble with the topic... It's a good listen:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/424/kid-politics?act=2

Also, Climate =/= Weather, and one's belief in change of the former should not be based on change in the latter.

Okay... I just had to chime in.

:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
When people talk about the Earth's temperature, they always bring the lamest things into the argument as to what is causing it, but always leave out the fact that the Earth is getting closer to the Sun in one point...hotter temperatures, and farther at another...colder temperatures, as time goes on. And since our axis around the sun isn't perfect, coupled with the Sun's own climate storms, you gets fluctuations in space that alters our climate. Sure, scientifically speaking, driving cars, producing more babies, killing trees all produce or inhibit the degradation of Co2, which can *eventually* cause a temperature spike, but the thing is that Earth's temperature has been rapidly rising before humans ever were a problem on Earth...(polluting it).

I specifically stray away from talks about this hot topic called "Global Warming" when the speakers/talkers are at a conflict of interest...i.e. PROFITING from it.

Use your own brains people. If you believe something is doing harm, fix your problem, don't try to change everyone's mind about it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
When people talk about the Earth's temperature, they always bring the lamest things into the argument as to what is causing it, but always leave out the fact that the Earth is getting closer to the Sun in one point...hotter temperatures, and farther at another...colder temperatures, as time goes on. And since our axis around the sun isn't perfect, coupled with the Sun's own climate storms, you gets fluctuations in space that alters our climate. Sure, scientifically speaking, driving cars, producing more babies, killing trees all produce or inhibit the degradation of Co2, which can *eventually* cause a temperature spike, but the thing is that Earth's temperature has been rapidly rising before humans ever were a problem on Earth...(polluting it).

I specifically stray away from talks about this hot topic called "Global Warming" when the speakers/talkers are at a conflict of interest...i.e. PROFITING from it.

Use your own brains people. If you believe something is doing harm, fix your problem, don't try to change everyone's mind about it!
True, Astronomical forces play the largest role on our climate.

Aside from the traditional notion that the Earth has a wobbly axis, the moon is also slowly breaking away from the Earth's orbit, thus a wider orbit causes the daily rotational spin to slow down. A slower spin destabilizes the planet's 'gyroscopic' force that stabilizes the plant. Even our primary source for heat, our sun, produces it's own solar events that nudges temperature in both directions. Throw in gravitational forces from other plants [particularly Jupiter], and the earth's orbit changes its elliptical accord in relation to the sun.

However, the dynamic causality that these colossal forces have, take precedence over the course of thousands of years. Whereas our own intervention; hastens an inevitability.

I’m doubtful that Humans can raise the temperature on this planet as much as an astronomical event [at least not without massive thermo-nuclear detonation]. Although I am certain that we are very capable of raising the temperature faster than if left to a natural course [and by that I am not including an ELE].

1 - 11 of 11 Posts