Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife pulled in yesterday and said that there were lights coming on in the dash. I checked, the VSA light and the Check Engine light were illuminated. Came out of nowhere after a 20 mile ride on the Interstate. I took the car out, seems normal but noticed that the ECO light does not come on now.

Tried to shut the VSA off but apparently it already is or this is part of the malfunction?

I'll report back after a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brought the car in and left it. Hashing about it at the podium, best guess is that it is all related. The check engine light and VSA light are related by the throttle. The ECO may not work as related to the problem with the other two lights. Just a consensus by three of us writing it up, burping and scratching, and drinking coffee.

Will get back later with a verdict.

·
Registered
234 Posts
would love to hear the problem just keep us post.

·
Super Moderator
373 Posts
Yipes, good luck.

On the bright side, it could be worse. My neighbor had one of the original VW wabbits and I swear it was possessed. Every light on the dash the horn and wipers would come on simultaneously for no apparent reason. Scared the he-double-hockeysticks out of me every time.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Damn that sucks AD, hopefully its just a small glitch in the ECU that can be easily reprogrammed...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry it took me a day to get back but problem solved in about an hour.

The tech hooked up the car and although the lights did clear themselves he was able to get an error code.

The error code is a known problem, it is a software fix. There apparently is a problem that the software gives an erroneous code and lights up the check engine and VSA idiot lights. The fix is to update the software. He did and everything is now okie- dokie.

Official statement from my receipt: Updated current PCM Software with newest available version to resolve P2118 misinterpretation problem. Cleared DTC and no problems at this time.

My build date is 7/2010. I asked the service writer (who is very good and I have dealt with him for a few years) if the tech had seem it before or if he knows when the software was dated in new CTs.

He called back, the tech has done it only one other time and he was unsure of when this was updated.

So, Honda knows this can occur, has the fix, and will correct it when/if the problem occurs. I would think if a customer asked about this directly they would run the update for you.

My writer was apologetic, washed the car and even topped the tank with gas for me. It's worth a tip now and then, good for building a relationship.

All is good.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well' interesting now how do we all know that we have the current firmware up to date. :(

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
unfortunately you can't check it has to be hooked up to the dealer scan tool (HDS TESTER) and it comunicates with honda and tells the tech the version and if there is another update available.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input Rusty.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm glad all turned out well, fairly easily. Can't beat the free gas, either..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes thanks for the update. Next time I go into for an oil change I'll ask them to check this.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
while its under warranty take it in and tell them the engine light has come on and off my guys check the code if no code is present they do a update and turn it loose.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rusty,
I'm getting from your posts that you're pretty knowledgable about the mechanical and electronic workings of our cars (I'm assuming you work for a dealership). so perhaps you wouldn't mind giving me your thoughts on the following.

When I bought my CT (EX-L AWD), I was told that during the break in period I would notice an increase in fuel consumption. So for my first 2 tanks I got about 650kms out of each of them and then went down to about 550kms. I was told that the break in period was roughly the first 10,000kms but I'm now at 21,000kms and i'm only getting between 500-520kms to a tank.
I don't have a heavy foot, my driving is probably about 90-95% highway with a top speed of 120km\hr.
The issue that I'm having is that I'm only getting between 500-520kms to every fill of aobut 60liters and when i do the math that works out to somewhere between 11 and 12 Litres per 100km. One of my wife's co-workers has an identical car and he gets between 700 and 750kms to a tank with similar driving habits.
I've tried to explain to the guy at the dealership that there must be something wrong because I'm not getting the gas mileage (or even close tothe gas mileage) that I should be getting and the mileage that was supposed to go back up after the break in period never did (actually got a bit worse)
The guy at the dealership took it for a 75km test drive, filled it back up, said everything was normal and there's nothing they can do.
What are you thoughts on this? Could this be related to the ECO system or ECU eventhough there are no codes (or at least no check engine lights) comming up?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Yes i am a service manager for a Honda dealer, well gas mileage is a tough one the cars are so computer controled that if something was wrong it would turn the engine light on right away. So i don't think anything is wrong with your car,Is yours a navi ?? If it is you have the trip computer it will do the math for you. To get the 8L per 100km you have to drive the car 77kph on flat roads no power equipment on, thats how the energy guide comes up with these numbers its not honda. So when we get a customer that thinks something is wrong I am instructed to do the gas test, So i fill the tank reset the trip drive it 50km out of town turn around and come back fill the tank and it will be 8L or less. Every gas test i have ever done in my 18 years doing this job has been dead on.
Try doing the test no full throttle find a gas station near your home,fill it drive it 50km no faster than 80kph and turn around and go back and fill it and i bet you will see the results. Hope this helps any other questions just ask or send me a p.m.:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Rusty,
I'm getting from your posts that you're pretty knowledgable about the mechanical and electronic workings of our cars (I'm assuming you work for a dealership). so perhaps you wouldn't mind giving me your thoughts on the following.

When I bought my CT (EX-L AWD), I was told that during the break in period I would notice an increase in fuel consumption. So for my first 2 tanks I got about 650kms out of each of them and then went down to about 550kms. I was told that the break in period was roughly the first 10,000kms but I'm now at 21,000kms and i'm only getting between 500-520kms to a tank.
I don't have a heavy foot, my driving is probably about 90-95% highway with a top speed of 120km\hr.
The issue that I'm having is that I'm only getting between 500-520kms to every fill of aobut 60liters and when i do the math that works out to somewhere between 11 and 12 Litres per 100km. One of my wife's co-workers has an identical car and he gets between 700 and 750kms to a tank with similar driving habits.
I've tried to explain to the guy at the dealership that there must be something wrong because I'm not getting the gas mileage (or even close tothe gas mileage) that I should be getting and the mileage that was supposed to go back up after the break in period never did (actually got a bit worse)
The guy at the dealership took it for a 75km test drive, filled it back up, said everything was normal and there's nothing they can do.
What are you thoughts on this? Could this be related to the ECO system or ECU eventhough there are no codes (or at least no check engine lights) comming up?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
For us in the US, we would sure like to understand the mileage you're saying. What's kms? Don't understand?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks Rusty, I appreciate you input.
The guy at the dealership did what you said and apparently everything was fine. Like I told him, I never expect to get the 8.4 L\100km highway as rated but I find it odd that I'm only getting 500km average where someone else with the same car and same driving habits is getting at least 200km more. I've never had a car where my avereage mileage was so far off from the rated mileage but I just don't know what to do with it.

In an earlier post you said "while its under warranty take it in and tell them the engine light has come on and off my guys check the code if no code is present they do a update and turn it loose. "
What update are you reffering too? The service guy I deal with at my local dealsership said their was no updates for the CT.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
The computer is reburnable (reprogramable) like your home computer there is always new versions of software updates that can be done to avoid problems Honda will issue a new version for techs to up load, so lets say a number of people had idle issues they would issue a new version to smooth it out stuff like that.

The differance is your mileage is just the differance in your driving habits do the test i described, fill the tank drive it no more than 80kph or 50mph for 50km and turn around come back fill it back up and see what you get (flat roadsand no assy on ac,heated seat etc.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'll give that a try Rusty. but if you don't mind me picking your brain a bit more, can you explain the "break in period" and how that affects the fuel consumption?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts