Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my Black Crosstour. But today I think I discovered a serious design flaw. I was low on fuel and stopped by the gas station to get gas. Could not get the fuel door to release and pop open. As all of you must know, there is no manual release for this door. It works in conjunction with the driver's side door. Eventually, I gave up and figured I had enough gas to get to work.

After getting to work, I tried again repeatedly to get the fuel door to pop open. Nothing worked. I located a Honda dealer nearby (many miles from home) and decided to head there before I went home so I could get the fuel door fixed, put gas in the car and go home.

Ran out of luck. Halfway to the dealer - just 3 miles away - the car ran out of gas on the interstate. Pulled over to the side and called AAA. Three hours later, two AAA service calls later, a tow truck later, a Honda dealership maintenance manager later, I was forced to leave the Crosstour at the dealer because nobody can figure out how to open the fuel door.

They will look at in the morning they say... I took public transit home 23 miles.

Anyone else have a stuck fuel door on the Crosstour?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble! Tough day to say the least.
I remember reading in the manual that there is a way to release the fuel door from inside the hatchback if needed. Don't have the manual handy or I'd look it up for you. I got my car only 8 days ago and I read the manual cover to cover, so it is fresh in my mind that there is access to the fuel door release through the inside wall of the cargo area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much for the insight FamilyGuy. I was flipping quickly through the manual in the cold and dark last night and did not notice anything, but will definitely try and go through the online version now and see if I can find what you saw. I've got to jump in the Pilot and head out that way soon - would be great if I could find the fix in the manual before I got there.

Thanks again! Congrats on your new Crosstour. I have loved mine for the past 8 months!

Go Pats! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Access to open the fuel door is on page 389 of the owners manual. Just above the 12volt is a cover that is to be pried open with a screwdriver, then pull release. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good tips, folks!

Thanks again! Congrats on your new Crosstour. I have loved mine for the past 8 months!

Go Pats! :)
Thanks! And welcome to the forum, by the way. This is a cool little corner of the internet.:cool:
Not Swedish by any chance, are you, Hejda? ("Hej Da" is goodbye in Swedish!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
good info..

Access to open the fuel door is on page 389 of the owners manual. Just above the 12volt is a cover that is to be pried open with a screwdriver, then pull release. Hope this helps....
Always find useful info here that may save me someday learning from others trials and tribulations and wondered about that fuel door that first time trying to fill up looking for release like my previous 4 hondas but had to refer to manual on how to put gas in my new ride !haha good to know there is a way.....:cool:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Always find useful info here that may save me someday learning from others trials and tribulations and wondered about that fuel door that first time trying to fill up looking for release like my previous 4 hondas but had to refer to manual on how to put gas in my new ride !haha good to know there is a way.....:cool:
Ditto for me, sorry for the problem hejda, but you woke us up and now we're all experts, lol. I completely missed it going through the manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too - Door Won't Open

Hi All,

Had the unfortunate experience of my 2012 crosstour door not opening today at the airport. Fortunately, I was close to home to trade cars. However, has anyone been able to get honda to fix this issue? I have less than 10,000 miles on my car and I don't want to have to whip out a screwdriver or hair dryer every time I need gas.

Please advise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi All,

Had the unfortunate experience of my 2012 crosstour door not opening today at the airport. Fortunately, I was close to home to trade cars. However, has anyone been able to get honda to fix this issue? I have less than 10,000 miles on my car and I don't want to have to whip out a screwdriver or hair dryer every time I need gas.

Please advise.

Thanks!
I have not had the problem on my 2013 so far. Maybe I won't as I live in Sunny Southern California and it soundimg like this may be a "Cold Weather" problem?

In the 2013 Crosstour Manual the corrective action is on page 543. There is also a chapter called "Handling the Unexpected" This chapter explains how to handle unexpected troubles, including the Fuel Fill Cover problem.

If this is an ongoing problem, I might suggest leaving the "Emergency Cover" off so you can have immediate access to release the fuel fill cover without needing a screwdriver until a repair is affected on the car...

·
Registered
621 Posts
I experience pretty bad weather in my area and I've never had the problem of the gas cover freezing up.

Just make sure that the reason the cover isn't opening is because the car is still locked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry if this may be obvious, and therefore not mentioned by anyone in the thread above, but y'all do know that if you locked your car doors, the fuel door will only remain unlocked for a certain amount of time (maybe 10min? maybe less?) after the vehicle is initially locked, (to allow one to fuel up after locking the doors at a gas station,) right?

If you waited a while before you tried the fuel door, and it had already re-locked, you may not be able to unlock it again just by unlocking the car doors. You might also have to try turning the ignition key on & off.

Again, my apologies if this is obvious to the rest of this thread, but I was not aware of this interlock until my husband mentioned it after watching someone in a gas station struggling with their fuel door. So if it wasn't obvious to at least two of us, there may be more who got caught by this little bit of obscura.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
For the Fuel Door problem, if you're looking at the 2013/14 model, I believe the instructions for the release lever is on page: 543 "When You Cannot Unlock the Fuel Fill Door".

·
Registered
183 Posts
For the Fuel Door problem, if you're looking at the 2013/14 model, I believe the instructions for the release lever is on page: 543 "When You Cannot Unlock the Fuel Fill Door".
Thank you, got my very multi page manual out and sure nuff, page 543 (can you believe this many pages) has a brief complete instruction how how to remedy the situation. Suggest you keep a small screwdriver, nail file, pocket knife or similar to pop off the cover. Thanks agin for the information.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Thank you, got my very multi page manual out and sure nuff, page 543 (can you believe this many pages) has a brief complete instruction how how to remedy the situation. Suggest you keep a small screwdriver, nail file, pocket knife or similar to pop off the cover. Thanks agin for the information.
I have an emergency pack that I put in the trunk when I do road trips that either take me into the mountains or last for more than 1 day.

I have a multi-tool, screw driver, flash light, batteries, air compressor, emergency signal lights, duct tape, water filter, heat blanket foil, shovel, and most importantly.... toilet paper :)

But to be honest, I don't have something specifically for picking at the really small gaps. Though I think my regular screw driver and multi-tool knife will do the job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crosstour Gas door locked

I love my car and breaks my heart they are not making more. But I see that other people have the same problem with the gas door being locked.

It is at the honda service now. Is there anyone who complained about this to Honda?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I love my car and breaks my heart they are not making more. But I see that other people have the same problem with the gas door being locked.

It is at the honda service now. Is there anyone who complained about this to Honda?
I think it has probably been corrected for the OP as this happened over 5 years ago.... :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts