Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to see a specific DIY thread. For example. If someone decided to hardwire his radar detector behind his rear view mirror. He should have step by step instructions with numerous pictures. This would allow other member to copy his work. Likewise, even an oil change, brake job, air filter change and other things can be listed to assist others in doing these jobs. Instead of having these DIY things spread all over the forum, it should be in a specific thread. Before doing a maintenance on my CT, it would be very handy to come to your board and quickly find any tips and suggestions in doing this. I'm a member of a Mercedes Benz board and they do it this way. When I need to find specific information on how to do something, it is really easy. The DIY thread should ONLY be for instructions, suggestions and tips. Not arguing about which brand oil filter to use. This way, the thread stays clean and people can find what they are looking for without having to sort through a long thread of Thanks or Yea that works messages.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I will talk to the Admin about adding another subsection. Due to low traffic, which is kind of the nature of this particular site, we have been rather conservative in puting in a lot of subforums. Once too many are in, it makes the site look empty just because everything is so spread out.

As of now I am happy with you posting them in the Maintenance subforum. It seems a good place to start. We don't really have a ton of people modifying the CT's beyond basics, and 90% of them are still under warranty, but that doesn't mean we can't be ahead of the curve.

Plain and simple, subforums are created on an as-needed basis, so once we have a strong defined need, I have no doubt that a new section will be added.

I'm merely a lowly mod, so I don't have the power to modify the site, just user content.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm also a member of iATN (Inernational Automotive Technicians Network). They also have a section on their board about DIY steps, tips, and special fixes. Many of their members only subscribe to their board to have access to this very valuable section. Yes, it started slow, but now 15 years later, it has one of the largest databases. They have also been able to raise their prices to subscribe over this, and all it cost them was the opening of a thread. When my power windows failed on my Mercedes, and I started to disassemble the door to get to the window regulator, I noticed some unusual pulleys in the door. Even the shop manual was vague. On the Mercedes forum there were lots of info about these pulleys. My point being: This is how you grow this board and this is how the board becomes valuable. Reviews of Wet Paint are fine, but those same type of reviews are on every other board. Why should I come to this board? Because it allows me to maintain and service my CT myself. It allows me to modify and customize my CT myself. That is why I am here. I like to see the different CT's and pick and choose how I want to modify mine. Again, this will make this board more valuable to the owners and users. Yes, it will start out slow, but start requesting someone to go step by step for certain repairs. Oil change, Air filter replacment, brake job, transfer case fluid change, etc. etc. If you need assistance with handling this, I can offer my services as a mod and would be happy to run this portion. The best thing about this is that it benefits everyone otherwise, it's likely board users will migrate to the Accord board which I have already started to do due to the similarity and more technical messages about engines, transmissions, and other.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I completely agree, and I will express those concerns and options to Yung(site admin). I love watching this site grow, and I'm more than happy to make sure it continues to grow and add value.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts