Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing the crappiest tires I've ever had on a vehicle with dedicated snow tires this month, I am "falling in love all over again" with the Volvo XC90. I drove in light and heavy snow last night, passing slower cars and suvs (at safe speeds and distances mom). It was wonderful to brake forcefully in the muck and have the tire perform in a stable and predictable manner.

Last year, while making a gentle post-stoplight 90 degree turn on a very slightly graded road, the car slid and hit a curb. I couldn't have been going more than 5-10 mph (and 10 is stretching it). Cost me $1500. Never again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmmm. You're making me rethink snow tires now. After last night's snow, I was coming into work around a curve in the CT. I hit a small patch of snow and started to lose traction, ever so slightly. While my initial impression was, "holy crap, I'm about to go off-roading," the vsa and awd kicked in immediately and righted itself. It was really nice but I bet if I had snow tires, it never would have started sliding.

How much does a nice set cost?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have these on the XC90, $133 per tire (not including shipping and mounting- about $18 per tire here). I did the research for these and so far am impressed by the difference in performance from my previous tires.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Snow Tires

Thanks Red Beast for your "Never Again" post bang on. You brought out a very important point "The Safety Factor" Under winter driving conditions good winter tires are much cheaper than fender benders and factor in possible injuries maybe even third parties you never know till it happens.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Snow tyres

I live in the ski country of Colorado, and we get lots of snow and bad driving conditions here. I have a AWD Crosstour, and on it I have mounted four studded Nokian Hakkepelitta snow tyres. Having lived in Alaska for many years previously, I have had extensive experience with these tyres, and the CT is my fourth Honda that has used this type of tyre. I also own a Ridgeline, and it is identically equipped. These tyres are the best. The CT with these tyres, the AWD, the longer wheelbase and lower CG than the Ridgeline make it a superb (and fun) snow car. It's a blast to drive in the snow. Early Sunday mornings, you might find me out on one road or another around here with the VSA deactivated having a little fun scaring the tourists.

Nokian have been making snow tyres in Finland since the 1930's. They are a "green" company, and they have more winter-specific tyre patents than any other company. These tyres have low rolling resistance, good life, and they NEVER throw studs. And if studs are not your thing, they also have studless tyres. Here is the Nokian website address www.nokiantires.com and in my opinion, they are the next best thing to tank treads. And they make the CT a superlative snow vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks warp. I'm not anticipating replacing the 1 month old tires on the CT this season but next yr I will certainly consider the Nokian brand.

@ CCT - Snow tires are great but I hope you aren't saying they will become legislated. I'd have to contact my representatives on that issue (because they are like small children who are easily distracted by shiny objects, ignoring the more important issues).

@r4wd - You're welcome. Now I have a couple of months in which to research summer tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My entire family uses Blizzaks in the winter and we could not be happier with their performance, truly amazing. I have a LS400 and my dad has a 300C (hemi) and both cars have no problems in the winter once the Blizzaks are on them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have used Blizzaks and I have used Nokians. In my opinion, the Nokians outperform the Blizzaks, AND I had studs missing at the end of the season with the Blizzaks though this may have changed by now. The Nokians do not throw studs. Of course if you are using studless tyres, this point is moot, but on a one-to one basis, my money is still on the Nokians, with or without studs for the best performance. They have been making snow tyres since the early 1900's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts