Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’ve seen at lot of posts on various Honda forums about a transmission judder around 20-40mph.

I have the same sort of judder, only it is really noticeable around 120km/hr. If you let off the gas or coast, it’s smooth. Otherwise, if I’m doing around 120km/hr, even if I give it light throttle to accelerate, it starts juddering and will smooth out mostly when you reach about 130km/hr.

I have had a drain and fill done on the transmission, and have had the software update done for the torque converter lockup function, and the problem remains.

I’ve read that for some the passenger side axle was causing the issue, but I’m not too sure what it is. Still waiting to find the time to take it back to the mechanic.

If it is the torque converter, would adding some Lucas oil goop or some crap like that help? Or if anyone has done that, how has your experience been? Not sure if I want to shell out the big bucks to swap in a new torque converter.

Happy to hear any advice, thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2010 v6 with (pretty sure) the same issue. It feels like the rear tires are out of balance. If it's any consolation, I have 203,000 miles (about 325,000 km) and have had the vibration for years. I may do something about it at some point, but I guess it hasn't gotten THAT bad that I want to do something about it now. From what I hear, the axles are out of stock and getting them replaced ain't cheap. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2010 v6 with (pretty sure) the same issue. It feels like the rear tires are out of balance. If it's any consolation, I have 203,000 miles (about 325,000 km) and have had the vibration for years. I may do something about it at some point, but I guess it hasn't gotten THAT bad that I want to do something about it now. From what I hear, the axles are out of stock and getting them replaced ain't cheap. Maybe some day.
I’ve got a 2010 V6 as well, with AWD.

I’m at 221,000km so that does make me feel a little better! I’ll probably get the tires balanced to see if that makes a difference next time I take it in. I’ll ask the mechanic to try to figure out what the problem is, and if it’s expensive, I’m just not going to fix it as long as it’s still safe to drive.

Appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not a licensed Mechanic, nor am I any kind of licensed professional. I am just... dedicated to upkeeping my cars to the highest degree I'm capable of.

I know the shudder, and I've fixed it on (2) V6 Crosstours. My experience took me all the way to finding a somewhat-specialty shop that had a Harmonic Balancing Table in order to nail down the problem. I've spent probably over 100hrs of personal time into figuring this crap out.

As far as I & about a dozen Mechanics & Engineers can figure, this is all causes by the VCM system. When active, it causes unaccounted-for excess vibration. That vibration will prematurely destroy both of the Transmission Mounts. Once sufficiently worn out, the vibration then begins to affect the Front Drive Axles. As these begin to bow/bend, they will translate the "shudder" vibration into the cabin. If the problem is allowed to persist too long, then the Front Wheel Bearings + Hubs will become misshapen as well, furthering the vibration.

In order to fix the vibration, you have to address the root issue first. Disable the VCM through whatever means you decide (I recommend VCMTuner II).

Following that, you can then begin to replace parts. I recommend purchasing the trans mounts first, and storing them away until you have all the parts you need. After that, get the Front Axles (both sides) and the wheel hub/bearings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for this. I bought the car in March of this year, and installed S-VCM within the first week. I bought it with 214,000km so I’m sure that kind of mileage with VCM running didn’t do the car any favours.

Tried troubleshooting this with the mechanic and we gave up on Wednesday after removing the driveshaft that goes to the rear differential. That didn’t seem to help so at least know we know that it’s in the front, especially with what you mentioned.

I was feeling pretty defeated since we decided not to move forward and trying to throw parts at it was going to costs thousands. I have one year left of school so I was hoping to baby the car for the next year.

I can’t thank you enough for this, I’ve now got a solid list that the mechanic and I can go through at some point, once I can swing it since I just started a summer job.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much for this. I bought the car in March of this year, and installed S-VCM within the first week. I bought it with 214,000km so I’m sure that kind of mileage with VCM running didn’t do the car any favours.

Tried troubleshooting this with the mechanic and we gave up on Wednesday after removing the driveshaft that goes to the rear differential. That didn’t seem to help so at least know we know that it’s in the front, especially with what you mentioned.

I was feeling pretty defeated since we decided not to move forward and trying to throw parts at it was going to costs thousands. I have one year left of school so I was hoping to baby the car for the next year.

I can’t thank you enough for this, I’ve now got a solid list that the mechanic and I can go through at some point, once I can swing it since I just started a summer job.

Much appreciated!
Hope it all works out. Where I am, this job should retail $1,200-$1,500, that's for parts+labor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd not put any treatments in the transmission. With the VCM disabled, I switch to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. If it's transmission judder, it will end it. It will take at least 2 drain and fills, drive a few miles in between. 3 drain and fills gets you 80%.

Reactions: andrewct
1 - 8 of 8 Posts