Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just passed my first 5k miles on my CT and my Honda Dealer wants me to bring the car in for a scheduled service. I bought the CT with 17k miles on it so it now has 22k miles.

At this dealer an oil change is $40. But for this service, they want $107! What they say is included is the following:

Oil Change
Tire Rotation
Brake Inspection
I believe a few other small things included a free wash/vacuum.

Now, tires & brakes are wear items, so I think as long as I do the oil change, I don't have to worry about voiding my warranty. I know what the brake life and tire wear were like 5k miles ago, and 95% of my miles have been highway. Basically, I know the tires/brakes are fine and do not want to pay to have them rotated/inspected.

Has anyone else been getting their vehicle serviced at the dealer? I'd change the oil myself, but even with the Advanced Auto Mobil 1 sales they have occasionally, I'd still spend $35ish on oil + filter. For an extra $5 I'd rather not go through the hassle. But the "complete" service just sounds absurd.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I trust that you are not using the mileage minder?

Change the oil and keep an eye on when your other fluids need to be changed, i.e., transmission, rear differential if you have 4WD, etc. Change your filters, air, cabin, from time to time as needed. Rotating your tires will help you get more even tire life but that's your call.

I've never hasd a car 'inspected' as part of a service. And never got bitten by it either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well what does your CT miantenance minder tell you? What oil use % are you at? I think you follow that or 1 year miniumum. I think I hear about 9000 miles or so between oil changes. Oil changes in the CT are pricey because of the special oil it uses. The 100 sounds about right, but the timing is too soon.

Not sure about tire rotation. But when in doubt check the owner's manual.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I called Honda (not the dealer who recommends changes every 3,700 miles). Honda basically told me that the new Maintenance Minder is not like the one I had in my 07 Si. It does adjust to your driving habits (the oil life indicator is not a simple mileage calc!). They told me, when in doubt, follow the manual. I confirmed that based on that and my projections, I'd be at about 9,000 miles in between oil changes. Honda stated again how it is based on my driving habits and I must drive mostly highway (I do).

Honda said some dealers are stuck in their ways as far as servicing a vehicle, and more service is more business for them. That is why my dealer is saying 3,700 miles, but it is NOT required.

Brake inspection I'm not concerned with, that's what State Inspections are for.

Tire rotation I am on the fence with. I've personally never seen any real increase in tread life by rotating tires. I really don't mind replacing two tires at a time instead of four.

Long story short, I'm servicing my Crosstour based on the Maintenance Minder and NOT mileage. I will check my oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, coolent, etc. regularly, just as everyone should.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ok I called Honda (not the dealer who recommends changes every 3,700 miles). Honda basically told me that the new Maintenance Minder is not like the one I had in my 07 Si. It does adjust to your driving habits (the oil life indicator is not a simple mileage calc!). They told me, when in doubt, follow the manual. I confirmed that based on that and my projections, I'd be at about 9,000 miles in between oil changes. Honda stated again how it is based on my driving habits and I must drive mostly highway (I do).

Honda said some dealers are stuck in their ways as far as servicing a vehicle, and more service is more business for them. That is why my dealer is saying 3,700 miles, but it is NOT required.

Brake inspection I'm not concerned with, that's what State Inspections are for.

Tire rotation I am on the fence with. I've personally never seen any real increase in tread life by rotating tires. I really don't mind replacing two tires at a time instead of four.

Long story short, I'm servicing my Crosstour based on the Maintenance Minder and NOT mileage. I will check my oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, coolent, etc. regularly, just as everyone should.
I planned to drive to California which is about 800 miles from Seattle, my mileage is at 1200 miles, should I get my car check for the rode or just wait for the maintenance reminder to tell me when to go in?

·
Registered
111 Posts
At 1200 miles, your oil minder is probably about 90%. No need to do anything. I purchased a quart of 0-20 oil and kept it in the car during break in since it is not uncommon to burn a little. I think I added half a quart after about 6000 miles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
At 1200 miles, your oil minder is probably about 90%. No need to do anything. I purchased a quart of 0-20 oil and kept it in the car during break in since it is not uncommon to burn a little. I think I added half a quart after about 6000 miles.
Thanks. I will let you all know what I thought of the Crosstour when I get back after May 22

·
Registered
6 Posts
9,000 miles between oil changes? WOW. I've never gone that far even using full synthetic.

What about the breakin? Is the first change earlier than that generally? The reason I ask is that I think the salesman reset mine when showing me how to re-set the oil %. Maybe now the CT will think the break in is over? Probly not, but just wondering.

As far as tire rotation, It seems the vehicle make and model can make all the difference in the world. Some vehicles, I'm guessing the crosstour is one of them, are pretty easy on tires. If you have the H rated tires, they do wear pretty quickly. I'll be rotating mine. On my truck the one drive wheel always wears quickly (that's even with no burnouts :) ) so rotation makes a huge difference. Right now I have a set of generals that are barely legal, all 4 are worn exactly to the same depth, and very evenly. Never would have gotten that without rotating them every 3-6 thousand miles. Use a depth gauge. They are cheap and easy to use. That should give you an idea of when it's time to rotate. I also found that a rotation pattern that puts each tire in in all 4 spots (eventually) works well. Some have said that reversing the rotation on tires messes up the belts, but it's never been a problem for me. It might be a little bumpy for a few hundred miles, then it smooths out.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
9000miles is way to far ! i dont care what the manual says ! In canada the with the crosstour's i have seen come in for service the most km is 11000km which is 6835 miles never hurts to change early .

·
Registered
12 Posts
When synthetic oil first came out, they said it would not need to be changed for 20,000mi. The car companies retorted that they would not honor the warrantee if that were done. I always thought the oil co. had too much skin in the game. I always changed my oil with synthetic @ around 10,000mi + once a yeay just before winter, after the warrantee was over.
Just gave up my Accord w/190,000 mi. It still does not burn oil, passes emitions and is still in use by a friend. Honda is amazing all parts and buttons still work with only regular maintenance. I also used that oil changing method in all my other cars with no problems. All my Americn cars literally began falling apart at around 75,000 mi. Never gave up a car because of engine problems.
If you like to work on a car, buy American. You will never stop. What a sad thing to say! They ate our lunch. Lets hope the newer ones are better. I'll never find out. Been burned too many times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When synthetic oil first came out, they said it would not need to be changed for 20,000mi. The car companies retorted that they would not honor the warrantee if that were done. I always thought the oil co. had too much skin in the game. I always changed my oil with synthetic @ around 10,000mi + once a yeay just before winter, after the warrantee was over.
Just gave up my Accord w/190,000 mi. It still does not burn oil, passes emitions and is still in use by a friend. Honda is amazing all parts and buttons still work with only regular maintenance. I also used that oil changing method in all my other cars with no problems. All my Americn cars literally began falling apart at around 75,000 mi. Never gave up a car because of engine problems.
If you like to work on a car, buy American. You will never stop. What a sad thing to say! They ate our lunch. Lets hope the newer ones are better. I'll never find out. Been burned too many times.
Honestly it sounds to me like you only take care of the motors on your cars. I have a '10 CT w/nav now but my last car was a '01 Olds Intrigue. My wife drives a '06 GMC Denali and before that a '99 GMC Sierra. The Denali has 65,000 mi and not a day of trouble with it. She drove the '99 Sierra to 120,000 mi and not a day of trouble either and neither of them have 'fallen apart'. I drove my '01 Intrigue to 200,000 mi and sold it to my brother-in-law who's still driving it. Not a day of trouble with that vehicle either. My point is don't bag on American made vehicles cuz there are plenty of us who have had great experiences with them, and the problem may not be with the car...the problem may be you. The only reason I bought the CT is b/c no American company offered a vehicle comparable to it. They were all more truck based crossover vehicles and I was looking for more of a car based crossover vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to be so harsh but I'm partial to America.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts