Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove my new used 2013 CT EX_L AWD home from pickup in Detroit. 93k miles and after 200 miles I can say I am pleasantly surprised with the car overall. Always wanted one but you never know until you finally drive a car. I have 7 days to decide if I want to keep it (Carvana purchase) and I can tell the Eco thing is going to bug me. Its clear I should disable it from all the commentary but is there a clear preference for S-VCM vs VCM Muzzler? Also, I have not found any info as to how it effects gas mileage (it must a little?).

Thanks for any comments.

·
Super Moderator
800 Posts
I have been using a VCM Muzzler for about 4 years. Been very happy. Personally, I think you will be happy with either one. Both are good. Both have good reviews. As for gas mileage, I would say it affects it by about 2-3% worse gas mileage. For me, I prefer engine longevity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been using a VCM Muzzler for about 4 years. Been very happy. Personally, I think you will be happy with either one. Both are good. Both have good reviews. As for gas mileage, I would say it affects it by about 2-3% worse gas mileage. For me, I prefer engine longevity.
Thank you for the information. I also favor engine longevity :) I am still debating a second CT option 2014 EX-L with 140k miles and all the recommended Honda service complete. Sounds like the 2014 may avoid the VCM issue but I like the 93k miles on the 2011. If I may do you have any thoughts on 2011 vs 2014 in general? Again, I appreciate any commentary.

·
Super Moderator
800 Posts
I wish it was a simple as year of vehicle and mileage, but it isn't. Look over both cars carefully for even repaired damage. Get the Carfax for both. How many owners for each vehicle? If you don't feel comfortable, have a mechanic check out both cars. Have both been maintained the same? Check the service records and see which one has been maintained better - might require a trip to the dealership. If all is even between them, then it is up to you which one you like best.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use S-VCM out of Canada. At the time, I chose it because there were no resistors to change out. There is VCM Muzzler II that is the new improved version that requires no human thinking. I would not select a version that requires switching out the resistor.

Reactions: Klomper1

·
Registered
139 Posts
This video is being passed around, I thought I'd share here.

Reactions: CTchump and WVEX-L

·
Registered
5 Posts
S-VCM would be my vote!
The reason is after I contacted them this past weekend with questions about a recent install of a S-VCM.
They got back to me within a couple of hours on a Sunday!!
Customer service so far has been wonderful with S-VCM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just drove my new used 2013 CT EX_L AWD home from pickup in Detroit. 93k miles and after 200 miles I can say I am pleasantly surprised with the car overall. Always wanted one but you never know until you finally drive a car. I have 7 days to decide if I want to keep it (Carvana purchase) and I can tell the Eco thing is going to bug me. Its clear I should disable it from all the commentary but is there a clear preference for S-VCM vs VCM Muzzler? Also, I have not found any info as to how it effects gas mileage (it must a little?).

Thanks for any comments.
On my 2015 model like yours, I find that "Eco" is meaningless in the city, but depending on terrain and air-conditioning usage can be significant on the highway. Good luck & enjoy

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks for any comments.
I use the S-VCM. it was easy to install and I feel much more confident in the longevity of the engine. It really does ride more smoothly, and I have not noticed much of a difference in mileage, maybe 1 mile per gallon highway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
is this the device that is supposed to eliminate the vibration/shutter at 40mph and again at 70mph?
Yes on the 40mph. Never noticed at 70. I consider the vibration solving a bonus. The device is saving me major engine repairs, prolonging the life of my vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the S-VCM. it was easy to install and I feel much more confident in the longevity of the engine. It really does ride more smoothly, and I have not noticed much of a difference in mileage, maybe 1 mile per gallon highway.
Thanks just got the s-vcm. Rear sway bar upgrade is next

·
Registered
2 Posts
is this the device that is supposed to eliminate the vibration/shutter at 40mph and again at 70mph?
Yes on the 40mph. Never noticed at 70. I consider the vibration solving a bonus. The device is saving me major engine repairs, prolonging the life of my vehicle.
My 2010 Crosstour was noticeably smoother at 70. I understand disabling the VCM should help the active motor mounts last a lot longer too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use S-VCM out of Canada. At the time, I chose it because there were no resistors to change out. There is VCM Muzzler II that is the new improved version that requires no human thinking. I would not select a version that requires switching out the resistor.
Hi, can you send me the link where to buy it in Canada? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can dealer detect that you are using an S-VCM device if you remove it before service? Looking at replacing engine and want to ensure I don’t void the warranty by installing
I'm on Piloteers.org and this is discussed frequently. I've not heard of anyone having warranty issues using S-VCM.
It would be obvious to a mechanic.

Reactions: CTchump

·
Registered
139 Posts
Without S-VCM, I'd buy a vehicle that wasn't equipped with VCM then.
If you equipped your old engine with it, what have you got to loose?

Reactions: CTchump
1 - 18 of 18 Posts