Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I slow down (just let go of the pedal, and no brakes) my cross tour downshifts are pretty noticeable especially from 3rd to 2nd gear. Does this happen for anyone else?

Also when I'm braking it does this too. When I use my brakes I feel the downshift from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. Its REALLY noticeable.

I talked to the dealership and they said that I'm trying to trick the transmission. What kind of service is that? I argued for about 5-10 min on this and he just keeps saying that I'm tricking the transmission. I know I am not because I accelerate at a pretty constant rate and when I slow down I press on the brakes so that my car smoothly comes to a rest.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've never noticed any downshifts or upshifts.

Seems like a strong non-answer from the dealer, I'd bid them 'happy trails' and find a dealer or mechanic with some level of competence.

Good luck.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have had similar experiences. It almost feels like the vehicle is low on transmission fluid.

I went to the dealer and mentioned it (during other service).

They told me that they didn't notice it during the test drive, but that there was a computer upgrade that mentioned the transmission, so they applied that and told me to keep an eye on things.

It happens to me very rarely and seems to be mostly when I'm slowly decelerating. The dealer basically said it was a "normal" phenomenon and that I shouldn't worry. I'm starting to believe that perhaps they are right and this transmission just does this sometimes.

*shrug*

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm out of town right now (no owner's/shop manuals), but I recall an engine auto-brake when going downhill... We're you going downhill?

Also, make sure you're checking the fluid per the manual.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
I noticed this with my CT too. I asked a Honda transmission tech about it and he told me that for example, when you exit the highway, and coast to the stoplight, the downshifting will be a little harsh. He explained it that it is due to the torque change due to the cylinder cut out from 6 to 4 to 3. This is why there is no transmission up shifting issues, as the CT starts off with 6 cylinders and it doesn’t change while accelerating. I’m not sure I buy this, but it sounds somewhat plausible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that seems possible. I see now but I'm still kinda pissed at the guy at the dealership accusing me of tricking the transmission

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I slow down (just let go of the pedal, and no brakes) my cross tour downshifts are pretty noticeable especially from 3rd to 2nd gear. Does this happen for anyone else?

Also when I'm braking it does this too. When I use my brakes I feel the downshift from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. Its REALLY noticeable.

I talked to the dealership and they said that I'm trying to trick the transmission. What kind of service is that? I argued for about 5-10 min on this and he just keeps saying that I'm tricking the transmission. I know I am not because I accelerate at a pretty constant rate and when I slow down I press on the brakes so that my car smoothly comes to a rest.
Are you sure you're not talking about the DSC? What that does is control your car when going down hill too fast, slowing your car down around curves, to make sure you don't loose control. It will slow it down till it get into first gear. Even my BMW was that way with the DSC on. Which you do want to leave on at all times. This car is too heavy to be turning it off...especially in rainy weather.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I too noticed this phenomenon on my CT. But I also noticed this on a test drive on another CT during my early shopping days before I bought my CT.

I rarely notice it now, but the conditions for it to occur happens when I am coasting to a red light and when I am in at least 3 gear.
At first, there is a sudden downshift from 3rd to 2nd and the car suddenly feels like it just lost power. The Honda Tech that CRASHMASTER spoke with could possibly be right, with the "torque issue".
The next phenomenon happens with a 2nd to 1st gear change on coasting and decceleration. I feel like the car lurches forward a bit more than expected, as if there is an increase in power, (the "ECO" light still remains on during this time). And I feel like I have to apply my brakes more than I should to remain at a constant deceleration. The ECO then turns off below 10mph as it is programmed to do.

The phenomenon of "rough shifting" only happens when variable cylinder deactivation mode is on such as in the case of a warm engine. During cold engine operation, this phenomenon does not happen which leads me to believe it is a transmission calibration (programming) issue that was left out of the CT when designating the shift patterns/point during variable cylinder deactivation mode.

I don't remember of noticed this on the 2008 Accord Sedan V6 that I test drove a few years back. If anyone has an 8th gen Accord V6 sedan with VCM, I would like to know if you have experienced this same "rough shifting" issue.

As an aside, I know CT transmission is geared for a higher final drive ratio than the Accord Sedan with identical engine/tranny. If Honda engineers kept the same shift points as the Accord sedan on the CT, it might cause it to downshift sooner than expected during coasting resulting in the "rough shifting" feeling. I just hope this wasn't the case. If enough people point this out, during their next service, maybe something can be done about it. A simple ECM Flash would be nice. But then again the usual people on this forum aren't exactly the typical Crosstour buyer.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Keep in mind, that the smoother the transmission shifts, that translates to more slippage, more internal heat, and more internal transmission wear. Back in the old days, as a racer, I would add a B&M shift kit to the transmission that would give the vehicle a snappier and quicker shift that you also felt. Personally, I like to feel the transmission shifting and don’t think it is that bothersome. Yes, it is a bit noticeable, but the CT is a somewhat sporty, performance vehicle and it is something that I can easily get used to. If I actually had the choice of how I would want the transmission to shift; I would leave it just as it is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
After much thought, I have finally accepted the way my CT downshifts. The reason was simple. It comes down to the way the engineers calibrated the transmission. Hondas in general are considered more sportier than most car brands. A factor that makes a car sportier is the way the engine responds to my right (lead) foot and how quickly throttle input results in acceleration. By keeping the transmission in lower gears, the transmission can deliver power more quickly without the need to downshift.

For example you are coming to an intersection and there appears to be a steady green light with no cars in front of you. Suddenly the light turns yellow and you have to decide whether to brake or PUNCH IT. By having the car downshift sooner, resulting in the shift qualities that I and others have described on this thread, will result in a more instantaneous throttle response and more immediate acceleration to punch through a red...uh, I mean yellow light :) . If the CT tranny was in a higher gear, then it would have to downshift first, before revving which makes for slower engine response. The rough shift from 3rd to 2nd on coasting is simply the result of calibration of the tranny to downshift sooner than most vehicles and this results in noticable engine braking. In fact, anytime you downshift early, you cause more engine braking, since more engine braking happens at higher revs.

I finally get it now. And I am now more happy with my CT than ever!

·
Registered
168 Posts
First - if something feels funny with the way it's shifting, bring it in to your dealer. . .there are something like 100 DTC codes that your tranny will throw, and store, without triggering a check engine (or "MIL" a Honda calls it) light. It'd be really easy for them to see if something is funky.

However. . .thought everyone might want to see some cool stuff. . .these are all of the inputs taken into account for a shift to be made.

And these are some neat tricks that the trans does that I don't think is explained in the manual.

In curves:

And up and down inclines. . .

-Ace

·
Super Moderator
373 Posts
Very cool... thanks for sharing. I still prefer a manual transmission : /

The typical shifting behavior I've experienced with my 2010 4WD CT when letting my foot off the gas works for me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Very cool... thanks for sharing. I still prefer a manual transmission : /

The typical shifting behavior I've experienced with my 2010 4WD CT when letting my foot off the gas works for me.
Yes I like a manual too, most of the time. . .but for the role the CT has for me in my life, an automatic is fine. I think fuel economy concerns will drive some pretty interesting transmission evolution in the next 5-10 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts