Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently purchased a JL audio package with the amp for my CT. Now I felt I should change the factory speakers to pioneer. 2 Quick Questions...

1. What is the dimensions of the speakers?
2. Do I have to remove the whole door panel, or just pop the grille off?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Steve

I like good car audio just as much as the next fellow.

Why do you want to change the speakers? Are they not strong enough for the wattage you want to run? Are they already blown? Your comment in your email was: “Now I felt I should change the factory speakers to pioneer.” Can you elaborate on that?

Are the factory speakers better, worse, or the same as the Pioneer? What research have you done? What model Pioneer speakers were you considering? Are they an exact replacement for the factory OEM or will they need a custom install?

Is the difference in quality worth the removal of the factory speakers; risking rattles, buzzing, or difficult customizing to make the new speakers work?

Is a sound bar or perhaps two, mounted on the inside roof or somewhere else, a consideration in conjunction with the factory speakers?

Perhaps if you tell us a bit more about your project, what you are trying to accomplish, we can give you some better advice. I’ve just seen so many audio installs go wrong, with lots of money being wasted for a sound that was truly no better than the factory radio and speakers.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Years ago I did lots of mods and replacements to the OEM audio systems in my cars. First was hang-below-the-dash FM, reverb, and 8-track boxes in my 64 Corvair Corsa. Later I replaced head-ends, added amps and EQ and replaced speakers in other cars and minivans. OEM gear is much better now, and for the last five vehicles I've left well-enough alone (but I did add XM to my PT Cruiser). I'm quite happy with the sound of the CT, and love having built-in sat radio and easy access to my iPod .

Photos show first mods to my '78 Fiat Spider.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Michael, I noticed you mentioned Corvair. Wow, does that take me back. In my youth, I had a few Corvairs a 63 Monza and many more. I constructed my own engine box to drop the engine, and I honestly believe that I personally kept Clarks Corvair parts in business for many years. Push rod tubes? What brilliant GM engineer never thought the o-rings would get hard and start to leak! It was like I had to carry my own cardboard to put under the car for oil leaks. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok ill bite,

I recently ordered JL SUB & AMP package from creativecaraudio.net, Im yet to receive/install it. (Going to install at bestbuy when the darn package comes).

The speakers I want to install are:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer...-way/4479096.p?id=1218479711650&skuId=4479096

I have a feeling when I receive my SUB/AMP package that my OEM speakers will break as soon as I get them.

If you do not think those speakers would work, which one would you install?

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Taylor – I haven’t had a chance to research your speaker question, but you seemed to have some hesitation about enquiring. First, there is no bad question anyone can ask! We all started knowing nothing. Better to ask a question now than to find out later you purchased a stereo with a positive ground or something else. Second, should anyone start to flame you over your question, either RyansQuick6 or myself will quickly step in. Third, off the top of my head, I do not know what make, model, or wattage the factory speakers are. Many people in my area open the doors and run their stereo loud during picnics and other activities. A more powerful speaker for special situations like this could be necessary. I can think of lots of reason for changing out the speakers. Forth, just because someone (me included) states it should be left, doesn’t absolutely mean left is correct. I’ve been wrong many times and can count on being wrong again in the future. I remember being the lone opinion in many automotive debates. Sometimes I was right, sometime I was wrong, or left. It’s always a learning experience which benefits everyone on this board.

I just wanted to make sure that nobody ever hesitates asking a question. If you have any question, noise, concern, vibration, modification, aftermarket part, dog or horse question, or whatever, that you have a question with, please ask! Likewise, if you don’t like or understand the answer, ask why. I do that all the time (it drives my wife crazy). The total combined mechanical knowledge here on this board is ever growing and when combined can very likely find an answer to your question.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crash,

I appreciate that but does not really answer my question haha. I've looked every where for the answer and no luck.

I want to buy after market speakers ONLY is it does not require me to remove the door panel and modifying anything on the door itself.

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts