Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dealer a few weeks ago, I was getting a strange noise from the rear right wheel, kind of a grinding noise. I was told I needed rear brakes. Front brakes were at 50%. After thinking about this I think he BS me into getting brakes. What do you all think?

Oh he said the noise was the wear indicator

·
Super Moderator
761 Posts
How many miles on your CT?

Is your CT used mainly for city or highway driving?

Have the front brakes ever been replaced? If yes, at what mileage?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
OEM brake pads are generally 9mm thick. The wear indicator should not sound until the pad is down to 2-3mm unless someone has screwed with it. Pad wear will vary according to your style of driving. I'm pretty hard on pads but my wife is very gentle on them.

If you know what the mileage was when you replace pads and you can measure them at a later date, you can calculate what mileage life you may have on a set.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles on your CT? 67,000

Is your CT used mainly for city or highway driving? mostly highway, 70/30 split

Have the front brakes ever been replaced? If yes, at what mileage? NO
I'm just use to front wearing out first, but I got a response that bothered me was when I asked why the rear went out first he replied that the bias was set more to the rear than the front. I thought in today's modern car that break bias was more computer controlled.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I thought in today's modern car that break bias was more computer controlled.
That's right.

The VSA modulator-control unit controls the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), the Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), the Traction Control System (TCS), the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), and brake assist with the brake pressure of each wheel.

The EBD feature helps control vehicle braking by adjusting the rear brake force in accordance with the rear wheel load before the ABS operates. The more load in the rear of the car the more pressure is applied to the rear brake under normal braking conditions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same thing. My rear brakes required replacement at 110K and front required replacement at 160K.
Just like you I thought it was odd that my rear brakes wore out faster than my front.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did a search and found this thread. Today, 2-3-2015, I took my 2011 Crosstour into to my trusted mechanic to have him look to see why the passenger side rear wheel area was sounding like I was dragging metal. Same as you, chefmark, the passenger side rear brake pad was worn down to the squeaking metal tab. Ramon ordered new rear pads and I went back later today, and he put them on. I have 38,746 miles on my Glacier Blue, oil burner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear brakes first

I just replaced both side rear brake pads at 68,000km. I was surprised that the rears went when the fronts look like well over 70% left on pads. I concluded that since the rears are smaller discs and pads, and the computer controlled bias was favouring the rears, its acceptable. $58 for pads and away I go.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My rears were more worn than the fronts. Replaced all of 'em @54,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brake life

I had the same thing. My rear brakes required replacement at 110K and front required replacement at 160K.
Just like you I thought it was odd that my rear brakes wore out faster than my front.
I got 65k out of my original brakes, with the back wearing out first. I believe my use of the parking break contributed to the early replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have two CT's, both killed the rear pads before the fronts.
2013 - Rear pads changed at 43,000, fronts still good at 77,000
2014 - Rear pads changed at 45,600, Fronts still good at 80,000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts