Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am set and ready to buy a black CT but have been going back and forth on whether the nav system is worth it. I like how big the rear view camera is with it but I also know you can get a camera in the rear view mirror. I wanted to ask those who have either system and how they like it, or if the extra cost is worth it?

Along with the nav and camera is there anything else it does that is useful and helpful?

Thanks for your help with this as it looks like I will be buying it within the next two weeks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
2013's are coming...

I am set and ready to buy a black CT but have been going back and forth on whether the nav system is worth it. I like how big the rear view camera is with it but I also know you can get a camera in the rear view mirror. I wanted to ask those who have either system and how they like it, or if the extra cost is worth it?

Along with the nav and camera is there anything else it does that is useful and helpful?

Thanks for your help with this as it looks like I will be buying it within the next two weeks.
If you're able to wait a few weeks, you may want to wait for the full reveal of the new 2013 Honda Accord on Sept 5, to see what the new Accord gets, as it most likely will trickle down to the Crosstour.

In terms of Navi, I have it in my '03 and '10 Accord, and I definitely like it better than any in-mirror Navigation (which I saw in an auto show). At least the input portion will be much easier (touch-screen), and the display much bigger.

The new Navi in the new Accords, are coming with Aha radio, something that will integrate the use of certain functions of your cell phone much better, which is a first for Honda vehicles. It should allow you to do many cell phone functions hands-free, including voice to text.

If the 2013 CT does come with many of the new features the 2013 Accord will have, it just may be worth it to wait a few weeks or months more, and get a 2013 CT. Or, at the very least, get a super deal on the 2012's, like they're doing on the 2012 Accords right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point

I wish I had the time to wait my 2000 Camry is about done so I have to make the decision sooner before I have to put more money into my existing car. Maybe the better bet is to see if I can get a sweet deal on a 2012 and if not go with a used model.

Is there any difference from the 2010 11, model that I should be aware of if I go the used route?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wish I had the time to wait my 2000 Camry is about done so I have to make the decision sooner before I have to put more money into my existing car. Maybe the better bet is to see if I can get a sweet deal on a 2012 and if not go with a used model.

Is there any difference from the 2010 11, model that I should be aware of if I go the used route?
I'm in the same boat, actually.

My 2003 Accord had a re-built transmission put in after 50K, and now at 115K, it's developing a whine, and leaking ATF. Other than topping up the ATF every three-weeks, it runs fine. My original thought was to sell it at a big discount and let the next owner deal with it. Now, I'm leaning towards getting it fix properly, and wait for the frenzy around the new Accord (and CT) to cool before getting myself a new car.

At this point, even if I have to shell out $1500 to fix the transmission, as long as it really takes care of the problem, I would be fine with footing the bill (much cheaper than needing to replace the entire transmission), as the rest of my Accord is still in top-notch shape.

Personally, I'm waiting to see if they will indeed update the entire interior of the 2013 CT with the new Accords.

As to what's different, I hope other members will chime in, as I don't know the details on the minute changes over the 3 years of the CT history. I only know the 4-cylinder version was only added in 2012, as well adding features such as the back-up camera and auto-dimming rear-view mirror to the list of standard features.

·
Registered
37 Posts

The back-up camera in the rearview mirror is standard on non-NAV 2012 Crosstours, which was the deciding factor for us between buying used and new. Frankly speaking, the rear visibility makes that back-up camera less of a luxury and more of a necessity.

I *love* having the backup camera right there in the rearview mirror, so my attention isn't split between the mirror and the NAV screen. I find the NAV screen very distracting, so after test-driving both versions -- with NAV and without -- we decided on a non-NAV EX-L. The camera is the mirror has turned out to be my favorite part of the car!

So that's just another opinion for you. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Portable NAV

Getting the CT with navigation has its restrictions. Your will be stuck with the current interface during your ownership (I had a NAV on the Fit) while it improves in future models. With a portable navigation device you are able to get updates on firmware or mapping more frequently. Being able to input your destinations without have to be in the vehicle is much more convenient. With my 2012 CT, the backup camera view located on the left side of the rearview mirror is safer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That helps

The back-up camera in the rearview mirror is standard on non-NAV 2012 Crosstours, which was the deciding factor for us between buying used and new. Frankly speaking, the rear visibility makes that back-up camera less of a luxury and more of a necessity.

I *love* having the backup camera right there in the rearview mirror, so my attention isn't split between the mirror and the NAV screen. I find the NAV screen very distracting, so after test-driving both versions -- with NAV and without -- we decided on a non-NAV EX-L. The camera is the mirror has turned out to be my favorite part of the car!

So that's just another opinion for you. :)
Just test drove a silver 2010 EX-L with nav. I did like the size of the screen but the nav left me feeling that is wasn't worth the added cost. Since I feel the same way that the camera is more of a necessity with this car do you feel that you get enough of a depth of feel with the camera in the mirror?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Get the navi,,,the backup camera on the screen is much,,,better....plus you get voice control of your maps...your ac...your entertainment system///plus you get like ..mpg screen and more....just picked mine ,last week....Red///////////// I got 5600 .off list///out the door was around 31.200 ,,you wont get that with the 2013,for quite a while......................Regards
Whoa, $31,200 OTD, that is not bad... What's the tax rate?

Just to clarify, is this V6 EX-L w/Navi or 4-cylinder EX-L with Navi? I'm guessing 2WD and not 4WD (I would only need 2WD)...

This also may mean big changes are ahead for 2013 CTs if they are trying so hard to blow out the 2012s. Good for buyers of current CTs!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get the navi,,,the backup camera on the screen is much,,,better....plus you get voice control of your maps...your ac...your entertainment system///plus you get like ..mpg screen and more....just picked mine ,last week....Red///////////// I got 5600 .off list///out the door was around 31.200 ,,you wont get that with the 2013,for quite a while......................Regards
I think with Nav is the route I am going to go. I found one in Texas it's a 2012 Black EX-L with Nav and only 8K miles. My friend is going to bid on it for me. I'll let you know how it goes. It is a lot harder to find one with Nav than I expected in the color I want so I hope this one works out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ask for some dealer quotes on a new one, too. You may find that with special financing and year end incentives you can do as well or better than you would buying used!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ask for some dealer quotes on a new one, too. You may find that with special financing and year end incentives you can do as well or better than you would buying used!
Funny you mention that I just stopped the dealer this morning that has the lowest no haggle price yadda yadda yadda. They still had plenty of 2012's but none with nav. The price they quoted me was $30,500 for an EX-L 4wd V6 with backup camera in the mirror. Not a bad price but with the Nav setup it went up to above 33K he said. If anyone else knows of better deals let me know. I am in the Salt Lake City area and live in the foothills with a steep driveway so the 4wd is a must.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They can do better. I guess you're not in a position to wait for the new model to come out, but if you put out a few calls/emails to different dealers and let them know they're competing against each other, the price will come down more.
I hate the car buying process, but since you're in it, play the game.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love the rearview camera in mine - it would be tough to operate without it - but I can't understand why people want to spend exorbitant money on nav systems that freeze you to that technology while the industry keeps going forward. The TomTom application on an iPhone - $36, plus $20 a year for traffic - is outstanding, integrates with your phone book, does Google searches and is upgraded for free periodically. The free Waze application, while not ready for prime time as the sole nav application, is unbelievably accurate for traffic, speed cameras, police, broken down cars, etc, due to its crowdsourcing model. On a 2000 mile trip down to North Carolina and back last month, we used the TomTom as the primary navigation and my wife had a great time supplementing it with Waze. It even gives the passenger something to do, making them more of a navigator on a long trip.

Other manufacturers make nav apps for the iPhone and Android phones as well, so it's not necesarily a TomTom thing... I have just gotten very tired of Garmin's "cartoon" look on highways, and taking TomTom's lousy hardware out of the equation made this a no-brainer.

All this stuff is going to get better and better, while whatever Honda or anyone else offers in a given year is going to be it for the life of your car, and cost WAY more.

Also, the ProClip guys make an outstanding iPhone mount for the Crosstour! Puts the iPhone near the A/C vents to keep it cool in the summer heat, and it doesn't block any of the display in the audio panel. I was really happy with it on this little jaunt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Navi or not?

I have a 2012 ct v6 w/navi..... Like the nav in the dash, but I agree with others about it not being the latest tech. I bought it only 2 months ago and since then had to buy my wife a garmin. Wow what a difference....yes the garmin had a smaller screen, but the graphics popped out! The graphics on the ct nav.... Can we say atari anyone. I'm just hope they come with an update. Also the garmin has all these icon logo's Starbucks, ect. And you can download new ones that you want to see. The ct navi yes they have a few...thank you for choosing a Honda logo for one of the icons guys.... I always drive around looking for new Honda dealerships.... Oh they have no Starbucks. Also the garmin shows on the screen how fast your going and the speed signs for all the roads ahead. (good if u live in a state that has the roads changing from 35 to 45 in less then a mile) oh the ct navi shows u your speed, but so far I only found it on a sperate screen... I do like the voice command option. If you get a great price like I did it's worth it... If u pay to much your going to kick yourself!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Adding a backup camera

I spoke to two local Honda dealers to find out if you can add the backup camera in the mirror like they have in the 2012 EX-L model. Honda does not make an OEM camera setup to match the new model, so you have to get it aftermarket like the ones on the license plate. So if you buy older than 2012 and don't get the navi you can't make it look like the new 2012 models completely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ready to buy but hard to find

well Bc....did you get,,it???probally to busy checking it out.....Regards
I am pulling the trigger this Monday on a Black 2011 EX-L with navi. I couldn't believe how hard they are to find used in the SLC area in black and with navi. I have looked at all the dealers and private sellers and in two months not one has come up.

I am buying this one from Denver and they shipping to my home. I am anxious buying without seeing it person but my friend who is a dealer got a condition report and it came back as 4.8 out of 5 and they just put on some new tires, not the nice Michelin ones but some that have had some pretty good reviews on tire rack.

I hope the 4WD with the new tires will be good enough in the winter so I don't have to keep swapping summer and winter tires.

Wish me luck and I'll take some pics when it comes in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In Transit

The CT is on it way. I also found out that they put new tires on it. They are Sumitomo brand, while I am glad they are brand new tires, I have never heard of that brand before. Has anyone else put these tires on and how do they handle in the snow for an all season tire? Tire Rack rates them a 7.1.

Also I have noticed that they have other OEM Rims for the CT that are Chrome Alloy look which I think look nicer than the stock EX-L rims. If someone has these on their CT especially a black one I would love to see a picture of that.

Anyway I am very excited for the CT to arrive and will post plenty of pics when it does. Is there something I should look out for when it arrives that other CT owners may be having a problem with?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It has arrived

Just got the car last night and it looks great. I bought it sight unseen since I line in SLC and it as in Denver. The dealer was great to work with and I did not find any surprises when I got it. In fact there were some items that he did not mention that the card had. It came with a clear mask/film covering on the front end, aftermarket tint that looks really nice, and a valet key (Which I probably will never use). I will get some pics posted soon.

I already ordered some of the weathertech mats for the front and back seats, but I think I will go with the all season cargo mat/tray that Honda makes instead of the weathertech one. If anyone has one or the other and can tell me how they like them I would appreciate it.

The only thing I would like to add would be these rims http://www.accessories-honda.com/honda-accord-2008-2012-coupe-wheels-alloy-wheels-pi-781.html which I think would look great with the black.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Grats bc!

The HFP's are nice but pricy. I have seen a pic of the black with these and it looks great. I can't remember where or I would point you there..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts