Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new here so please excuse me if I'm doing this wrong.

About a month ago my grandmother gave me her 2010 Crosstour which I was extremely excited to receive. I've never owned a V6 Honda, but I have owned Hondas for most of my driving life. The car is practically brand new (30k miles) considering its 11 years old now, but when she handed me the keys the first thing I did was had the ATF changed and changed the timing belt and water pump.

I've got nearly all the tools and knowhow for basic things like brakes, oil, and small things like that. But I do have a few questions that isn't exactly explained well in the owners manual.

First, since its a Honda and I know they're picky about the ATF I plan to change it every 30k miles. But why doesn't the manual give any specifics? Yes, I understand the computer displays the info on the dash and you can use the owners manual as a reference to figure out what it's telling you. I just feel like that's a poor design choice from Honda.

Spark plugs. I assume since the manual is saying to change them every 60k miles, these aren't iridium plugs? Do I need to change the coils too like you do on the four bangers or does the V6 still use spark plug wires and one/two coils? Or does the coils/wires last the life of the car?

Next question isn't necessarily related to maintenance. I would like to disable the variable cylinder management system. From what I've read seems like the SVCM is the best option and only about $100. Is this a good option for the money? Is there something better for slightly more money or do they all accomplish the same thing?
I would like to preface this with, I also own a Prius and I don't really care about MPGs in vehicles with more than 4 cylinders. So I don't care how much worse my MPG will be, although I don't think it will be much if any.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow, what a nice gift!
NGK Laser Iridium Spark plugs are good for 100k. You shouldn't need to replace yet unless they are fouled beyond cleaning. Just note that these plugs can not be gapped with a cheap gapping tool. It breaks the electrodes.
If you used Honda DW-1 ATF which is not a full synthetic fluid despite what the internet says, I'd change it every 20k. I use Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF and do drain and fills every 30-40k. Not a fan of Honda DW-1. Just keep in mind that the system holds about 9 quarts. When we do a D&F, we only remove 3.5 quarts. If that is the original factory fluid, I'd D&F 2 more times because of age (drive a few miles in between). That will get you to about 80% fresh fluid.
Only replace a coil if it stops working. I only replaced coils after 250k miles. Wires are part of the harness and are considered lifetime. Rarely a problem unless some unwanted critters chew on them.
I'm also a big believer in disabling the VCM. I also use S-VCM. This will keep your engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. It also stops an excessive amount of oil from being pumped up into the cylinders and fouling out the spark plugs, along with a long list of other problems.
Because of age, regardless of what the manual say, I'd replace the serpentine belt, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant.
This is my formula for keeping a Honda V6 running smoothly.
  • Disable the VCM
  • Air filter New/Clean
  • Air intake hose leak free clamps tight
  • Clean the MAF. I knock the dust off the visible electrodes with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner.
  • Spark plugs New or Clean NGK Laser Iridiums (no HX or other cheap plugs)
  • Spark plug tube oil free. This can be a problem if valve cover have ever been removed. If oil is present, replace valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals. Replace intake manifold/plenum gasket if this job is done.
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Replace EGR valve (150k miles + if unexplained rough idle)
  • Valve adjustments only if you hear valve clattering. Replace gaskets if covers are removed. They rarely reseal with leaking again.
  • Use full synthetic 0w20 oil, no semi blends or extended performance oils.
  • Use a Top Tier 87 octane fuel or use injector cleaner regularly
  • Occasionally take the vehicle on some long highway speed drives.
Hope this helps.
More info can be found on Piloteers.org where everyone drives a V6. 2nd Gen Pilot engine with 5 speed transmission is almost identical.

Reactions: GenoaLow

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, what a nice gift!
NGK Laser Iridium Spark plugs are good for 100k. You shouldn't need to replace yet unless they are fouled beyond cleaning. Just note that these plugs can not be gapped with a cheap gapping tool. It breaks the electrodes.
If you used Honda DW-1 ATF which is not a full synthetic fluid despite what the internet says, I'd change it every 20k. I use Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF and do drain and fills every 30-40k. Not a fan of Honda DW-1. Just keep in mind that the system holds about 9 quarts. When we do a D&F, we only remove 3.5 quarts. If that is the original factory fluid, I'd D&F 2 more times because of age (drive a few miles in between). That will get you to about 80% fresh fluid.
Only replace a coil if it stops working. I only replaced coils after 250k miles. Wires are part of the harness and are considered lifetime. Rarely a problem unless some unwanted critters chew on them.
I'm also a big believer in disabling the VCM. I also use S-VCM. This will keep your engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. It also stops an excessive amount of oil from being pumped up into the cylinders and fouling out the spark plugs, along with a long list of other problems.
Because of age, regardless of what the manual say, I'd replace the serpentine belt, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant.
This is my formula for keeping a Honda V6 running smoothly.
  • Disable the VCM
  • Air filter New/Clean
  • Air intake hose leak free clamps tight
  • Clean the MAF. I knock the dust off the visible electrodes with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner.
  • Spark plugs New or Clean NGK Laser Iridiums (no HX or other cheap plugs)
  • Spark plug tube oil free. This can be a problem if valve cover have ever been removed. If oil is present, replace valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals. Replace intake manifold/plenum gasket if this job is done.
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Replace EGR valve (150k miles + if unexplained rough idle)
  • Valve adjustments only if you hear valve clattering. Replace gaskets if covers are removed. They rarely reseal with leaking again.
  • Use full synthetic 0w20 oil, no semi blends or extended performance oils.
  • Use a Top Tier 87 octane fuel or use injector cleaner regularly
  • Occasionally take the vehicle on some long highway speed drives.
Hope this helps.
More info can be found on Piloteers.org where everyone drives a V6. 2nd Gen Pilot engine with 5 speed transmission is almost identical.
I really appreciate your in depth run down on things. Just ordered the SVCM the other day and am eagerly waiting on it to come in the mail. I'll be sure and post updates on here as we go.
I never really thought about the rest of the ATF being 11 years old until you pointed it out LOL. But I checked it when I got the car and I check it once a month. It looks and looked brand new. But I'll pick some ATF up in a few weeks when I can get the bones together to do 2 drain and fills back to back. I've had my ass burned in the past with Honda automatic transmissions and have just learned through very hard lessons learned do everything by the book. And I'm not doubting your experience with Max Life when I say this, but I've really fucked up some trannys in the past from neglect and this car I want to do everything by the book. I'm very grateful with what my grandmother gave me and I don't want to potentially ruin that.

Its kinda a double edge sword for me. Because the price is compelling and I see on nearly every Honda forum everyone ranting and raving about how amazing it is. But I don't want to take the risk.

I can 100% confirm the car has never been in the shop for anything other than oil changes and a few battery replacements. So unless one of the mechanics got a wild hair to take the valve cover off then all the gaskets and seals are all factory original. All the hoses and the serpentine belt look fine. But I'll get a new belt from autozone or somewhere in a few months.

About the coils... Good to see Honda changed their coil supplier LOL. When I had a 2009 Civic the shop manual I had for it stated you had to change it along with the sparkplugs and I was kinda pissed when I realized they ran $100 each. So good to know they last at least 200k miles.

Yep, already got the cabin filter, intake filters, oem oil filters, and I usually just use whatever 0W20 oil that I can get my hands on first. This time it's Mobil 1 because walmart had a huge sale on oil a while back and I got 24 quarts of oil in total for mine and my wife's car. But normally I just get Amazon or Supertech full synth.

Yeah I put a bottle of lucas fuel additive in all my cars about once or twice a year. And I have a lead foot, so my car gets the ole Italian tune-up regularly.

Again thanks for the reply! Very helpful information!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts