Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, new to the forum. Here are my Honda credentials/introduction/1st question, in one post:

I am a prior Honda owner ('84 Shadow 750, '99 Accord coupe, '05 Civic, '15 Odyssey, '17 Pilot) and having driven a CT a couple years back, I really liked it for what it seemed to be: comfortable transportation for myself, several passengers, and a good amount of stuff, with AWD when needed. And that reassuring H on the grill.

Almost bought that CT as our secondary vehicle/"my" car in 2017, but was led astray by a fetching '06 Mercedes E500 4Matic. Now I am about to trade that in (ouch but the maintenance hurts worse) and I landed on the CT again.

So I'm looking at two specific cars, '10 and '11 model years, EX-L AWD, the '10 has 91k miles and the '11 has 121k.

Any issues I should be looking for in particular? Avoid the car altogether? ;) j/k. Are there any differences between '10 and '11 of which I should be aware? General CT stuff I should know before buying?

Thanks for any answers. I should be looking at these cars mid-morning tomorrow so I will be checking my phone for any answers before I sign papers!

·
Super Moderator
761 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are really no known problems or issues with any of the vehicles you are looking at. I would suggest that you run a CarFax on both vehicles and have a mechanic check out both. Examine the maintenance records and check for any damage. Give them both a good test drive and decide which one you like best. Then check the Kelly Blue Book or NADA Blue Book to determine the value of these vehicles to make sure you are not overpaying. The differences between the 2010 and 11 are very minimal. Good luck and welcome to the Crosstour club.

·
Registered
6 Posts
look under the rear seat for water or rust, and check the service records if the oil consumption was checked/fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies/info.

I was delayed this AM but expect to leave shortly to try and get the 2011 with 121k miles. Apparently the 2010 90k one is waiting on a part (How is that when it is sitting on a lot and offered for sale on the Internet?) and not ready to be looked at. 2011's records show it was well maintained so I don't think the mileage is too high.

Will post results later. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You will like the 2011. The engine is slightly improved from 2010. Good choice. Just make sure the timing belt was changed, and if not, change it soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to look at the 2011 now. Per the Carfax timing belt was changed. Nothing about the oil consumption. Which now that I read up on the issue is a little concerning. Still the prior owner had the timing belt change done on time and didn’t trade it in and the car has made it to 121,000 mi now - doesn’t seem a huge risk at this point any more than an average engine? Thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually going back to buy the 2010 with 90k miles. It is so much cleaner. Really seems brand new. I will bite the bullet and take it in for the timing belt change, thanks for the heads up. And will hope for the best on the oil/ring issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input folks. I'm pretty happy with it. On the long highway ride home I noticed some rear vibration when braking above, uh, 69 mph ;) But really not noticeable at all below 65, certainly for me not worth rushing out to buy new rotors and pads (dealer had already put new fronts on.) As I said I plan to get the timing belt replaced soon, I'm right at 91k miles now.

I was going to post pics but I don't see an easy way to do that. It's metallic grey (?) can't remember the color name. I think it's the best 10-11 year old car I have ever seen or driven.

·
Super Moderator
761 Posts
Many owners whose Crosstour start using a bit of oil tend to switch from 0w20 to 5w30 synthetic. The thicker oil does not seem to leak past the rings very easy and consequently you have much less oil loss. Seems to work best on vehicles with around 100,000 miles plus. NOTE: Changing to a different oil than the recommended by the manufacturer is on your own risk. (Thats my disclaimer).

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I have owned the 2012 and currently the 2015. Having spent a few hundred hours working on Honda performance cars as a non-professional, I am totally sold on the 4-cyl K series of Honda motors. I am not impressed by the 6-cyl J series motors.

The biggest differences that I found between the 2012 and the 2015 is handling and ECU tuning of the transmission. Both are vastly improved in the 2015 over the 2012. As a mater of fact, I was plainly shocked at how much better the 2015 handled over the 2012.

I had the very unexpected opportunity to run a few laps at Road America with my 2015 and it did quite well for a barge on wheels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Crashmaster for the oil tip.

I will be picking the car up from the dealership in the morning. Had a lot of maintenance done: Timing belt (incl. all engine belts and tensioners and water pump) and standard 90k mile maintenance, also rotors front and rear. Costing me a pretty penny but I want this thing to last and not really knowing the maintenance history, I figure this is a good place to start. So much I like about this car and I really wish they still made it so I could buy a newer one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have owned the 2012 and currently the 2015. Having spent a few hundred hours working on Honda performance cars as a non-professional, I am totally sold on the 4-cyl K series of Honda motors. I am not impressed by the 6-cyl J series motors.

The biggest differences that I found between the 2012 and the 2015 is handling and ECU tuning of the transmission. Both are vastly improved in the 2015 over the 2012. As a mater of fact, I was plainly shocked at how much better the 2015 handled over the 2012.

I had the very unexpected opportunity to run a few laps at Road America with my 2015 and it did quite well for a barge on wheels.

What is your issue with the V6?

·
Registered
321 Posts

Wow- thanks for the info... I might look to acquire a "later model" CT at some point.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
What is your issue with the V6?

Longevity compared to the K24, stout contstruction and the cost of timing belt changes.

My son drives intensely and has run two K24 over and near 300,000 miles each without one single issue both on the original timing chains. The K24 is the classic swap for Miata (see K Miata) and has stock internals that will withstand 15-20 psi of boost to make a daily driveable modification up to 600+ whp.

I'm actually lightly toying (say, 10% serious currently) with the idea of boosting mine. I'm going to visit with a friendly local Honda shop to look over the project and discuss how and if it may be done and at what project cost. The shop right next to them is also friendly and specializes in exotic car turbo conversions (B-Rogue). I'll talk with them, too. It looks like turbo may the best fit but I'm a bit nervous about being able to easily handle the heating conditions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so I had a lot of maintenance done: Timing belt/water pump/other belts, &c. and the 90k maintenance, also had all rotors replaced bc they were crap. That brought me in at just over $2k. Felt better about everything though, I am a technical type myself and am a big believer in maintenance. The brakes are super silky smooth now as was the rest of the car until...

Literally on my first day of driving in my carpool, I hit a monster pothole.

Putting aside the wailing and gnashing of teeth, I now have a pretty good vibration going on from the front passenger side wheel. I am thinking bent rim. It is slight until highway speed but it is driving me nuts after having put all that money into getting the car up to date on maintenance.

Questions:

1. Anyone know a good wheel supplier that will ship? Quality remanufactured or OEM wheels?

2. I have a 2010 EX-L AWD. How many different car specs can there be? Whenever I try to choose a wheel by year/model there seem to be too many choices (i.e. two different "EXL" choices but no "EX-L" on Ebay, for instance, not to mention some goofy sounding model that may or may not be the right one, &c.)

If anyone has any experience ordering a wheel for a V6 AWD 2010 I'd appreciate a link or phone number.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Will,

I suggest hubcap haven (https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/3410/honda_crosstour_wheels_rims.html) to find the model of the OEM wheel you have an purchase it through them or then use that info to search the model number to buy. Hondapartsnow.com should help too. I've used hubcap haven in the past to buy some more rare OEM wheels for my 07 and had no issues with them at all.

By the off chance you're in the Northeast I have 4 OEM rims w/ tires sitting in my basement going unused in the capital region of NY because I run oversized tires on jeep rims for my build.

Also I'd say go get the tire re-balanced, a bad pothole may have knocked a loose wheel weight off and it may be as simple as that before you go off buying new rims.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd say go get the tire re-balanced, a bad pothole may have knocked a loose wheel weight off and it may be as simple as that before you go off buying new rims.
Yup, I'd check that first as well. You might also check locally with the salvage yards in your area for the one or more that specialize in Hondas. You can save a ton of money by buying good, used parts off a wreck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts