Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,,, I got the progressive sway bar for my 2015, now as some may know this is really meant for an Accord, but I've heard it works.
Not easily!
Just so everyone knows, I am a pretty good mechanic, and my car is sitting in my garage with a 1/2 installed sway bar. I am going to order new/longer links and it should work. The current links are 4in, I need 6in.
So I read a few times that people put them in upside down then had to redo.
So I pulled out the old one, not to bad, but with the wheels on it was tough getting it wiggled out. Laid it on the ground and compared the two, and went to it. No way in HELL can you get the new one in, so I jacked it and took the wheels off, still no. Tried both sides, up , down, wiggle, cuss, so. Dropped the bolts off both lower control arms and removed the driver muffler and got it in, with great effort still.
Hook it up and its touching the brake line a little, figured maybe because its jacked, Nope. Thought oh crap I put in backwards. Took it out, reverse it now it hits the lower control arm, took it out again reversed and figured out that the links are just to short. So I am waiting.
This was supposed to be a fun and easy install and I was going to get to test dive it last night, now next week maybe. :(

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
What is a progressive sway bar?

And why would you want one?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was funny, when I put it on the second time, which was upside down, Then lowered the car, it was preloading the rear so much that the car was jacked up in the rear like 2 extra inchs.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Back to my question though... the whole idea of "Progressive" is that you have two holes where you can mount the links right?

Therefore able to adjust between a stiff and a softer setting?

BTW: Can you take a video / picture of the setup when done?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both true, they are progress sway bars,, and they are progressive, they have 2 holes.
Yes I will take some pics, I will post them next week, my links won't be here till Monday.
bohoo

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alrite, its in! And let me get to how it performs.
Amazing change! Almost NO body roll in a turn, swerving back and forth it changes lanes fast and precise, all the wallowing around is completely gone.
I am very happy with the outcome.

Now for anyone thinking of doing this, here's the nitty gritty.
Like I said the stock links were 4inches and the new ones were adjustable from about 5 1/4 - 6 inch. I ended up using them at 5 1/4 in.
They supplied 4 Heim Reducers, (I would call they spacer bushings) but putting them on as instructions showed had some tweeked angles on the link joints.
So instead of having the link facing the rear on the car, it seemed like it would line up better if I faced them to the front. But,, doing that the link joint was touching a bracket.
So in the pic you will notice I cut 2 of the Heim Reducers in half and added the halves to the top Heims. That pushed the link joint out far enough to clear. And the cut halves worked fine for the bottom of the links.
They left one of the Jam Nuts out, so I had to go to the hardware store for that. I put the muffler back on and went for a test drive. finally.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post for me, and I have a few questions. I was wondering if you, sittinguy, used the endlinks from Progress? With those endlinks, is it a must to cut the "Heim Reducers"? Would it be possible to use other endlinks in this instance as well? Also, with the new endlinks, would I still have to remove the muffler and other things you had to remove?

Sorry for all the questions, since the CT is my daily, I dont want to run into any issues after I get the stock bar out.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dropped the driver side muffler and both upper control arms, if you only drop the driver side control arm I think it could be done. But once its jacked up its no biggie to do both, and by the way the control arms only need to taken loose from the wheel side, and just pushed up out of the way. Getting the bolts lined back up thru was a little of a pain, had to pry and poke to get the bolts back in, still no biggie.

Yes, I did use the progress end links.
Using other links,, I don't know.
I could not find a way,that I was happy with without MODing it a little. No matter where I adjusted it I could'nt get it to stop touching or rubbing a little somewhere.
But I love it!
It was like a different car.

This bar is NOT really designed for the Crosstour its for the Accord, or the TSX. but it works!

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I guess this begs the question which End links are better for the Xtour, the Progress ones shown in this thread or the ones from the Subi WRX that someone put on from Kartboy?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think ANY link will make a difference if you try to mount them in the rear, like stock. I had to mount them in the front to avoid the terrible angles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So sittinguy you did only front end links? or you are saying (and thread shows) it was the rear install that gave so many troubles. Do you think front only would help the wandering sensation you accurately describe and seem to have eliminated?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did nothing to the front. In my opinion the front is already stiff enough.
Just take a second and go look under your car at the front and rear sway bars.
The front is quite beefy compared to the rear, The rear is dinky.

I see what I wrote that was confusing, I should have wrote, towards the front,, instead of, in the front.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts