Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just putting this out there in case someone else is having this issue. I bought my CT from a dealership here in central AR. I was briefed from the beginning, my first oil change will be at 3,750 miles. I attended a Honda Care class and they briefed me the same. I happen to be out of state in Illinois when my oil change came due, so I took it to a local dealership there. They were like what 3750 mile oil change???? Go by your maintenance minder and yours only says 50%.

When I got back I called the dealership and was told by the service department "Honda recommends....." So I called Corp Honda Service department and they told me there was NOT a 3750 mile oil change, to use my maintenance minder. So I went back to my local dealership to ask them again about this and he said they do it because they have replaced 2 engines on cars, where the owners used the maintenance minder but forgot to check their oil. This way it reminds people. I comment to him that more than doubling your oil change business has nothing to do with it? He replied...we lose money on oil changes....so that's not the motivation.

Personally I don't mind and even respect the Hard Sell Negotiation tacticd of cars sales, but I really have little tolerance for deceitful businesses and their practices.

Bottom Line: USE your maintenance minder for oil change frequency and DO NOT forget to change your oil :) I would be curious to see if any other folks have ran into this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've run into it before and it's very disappointing that certain Honda dealers pull this crap. I'm sure dealers are upset with the Maintenance Minder system since they see the cars less often than the old LOF every 5K miles system, but that's no excuse to misrepresent the service requirements of our cars.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm just putting this out there in case someone else is having this issue. I bought my CT from a dealership here in central AR. I was briefed from the beginning, my first oil change will be at 3,750 miles. I attended a Honda Care class and they briefed me the same. I happen to be out of state in Illinois when my oil change came due, so I took it to a local dealership there. They were like what 3750 mile oil change???? Go my your maintenance minder and your only says 50%.

When I got back I called the dealership and was told by the service department "Honda recommends....." So I called Corp Honda Service department and they told me there was NO 3750 mile oil change, to use my maintenance minder. So I went to my local dealership to ask them again about this and he said they do it because they have replaced 2 engines on cars where the owners used the maintenance minder but forgot to check their oil. This way it reminds people. I comment to him that more than doubling your oil change business has nothing to do with it? He replied we lose money on oil changes.... so that's not the motivation.

Personally I don't mind and even respect the Hard Sell Negotiation tactic of cars sales, but I really have little tolerance for deceitful businesses and their practices.

Bottom Line: USE you maintenance minder for oil change frequency and DON NOT forget to change your oil :) I would be curious to see if any other folks have ran into this.
I am glad you brought this subject up. I am around 4500 miles and my oil life says 30%. So from my understanding a maintenance reminder light will come on when it's time for my first oil change, right:confused:

·
Registered
534 Posts
You should search for the topic where everyone is discussing how much dealers are charging for oil changes. Basically, don't pay over $40

·
Registered
622 Posts
Agree, go with the maintenance minder. At your own discretion ( read: if the long mileage gives you the willies) change it where you are comfortable.

I use the MM on my CT and my '06 Ridgeline. All is well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This exact thing happened to me.

I bought my CT from a dealer with 17k miles on it. The sticker said to come in at 20,700 miles or something for service. I called, they said it was a $110 service including oil change, tire rotation, and brake inspection.

Shaken up by a $110 service bill 6 weeks after buying the car, I looked closer. They couldn't tell me why I needed to have my brakes checked after 3,700 miles, or why it doesn't say anywhere in my manual that it needs the oil changed so soon. My maintenance minder was at 70%!

It's synthetic oil, I told them, conventional oil lasts 5,000 miles. Tire rotation is a mixed bag. Ultimately, I said no to everything.

Finally I called Honda of America and was told by them to follow the maintenance minder. They said, and I quote, "YOUR CAR WILL TELL YOU WHEN IT NEEDS ITS OIL CHANGED". They went on about how dealers have their own standards, and perhaps my dealer felt it was necessary to change the oil so soon. I told them that based on my calculations, it'd be about 9,000 miles before I would need it changed. They asked me if I did a lot of highway driving (95% of all miles on my car are interstate highway), I said yes. Honda said that explains it, and it is fine.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
i am a service manager for a honda dealer follow the m/m system it does work it has been in use since 2005 on the honda ody. some of you may think the intervals are to far so change the oil at 50% or what ever i change mine at 50% but i get free parts and labour so why not. i do agree by the end the oil is very dirty and possibly low a liter so just keep an eye on your levels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i am a service manager for a honda dealer follow the m/m system it does work it has been in use since 2005 on the honda ody. some of you may think the intervals are to far so change the oil at 50% or what ever i change mine at 50% but i get free parts and labour so why not. i do agree by the end the oil is very dirty and possibly low a liter so just keep an eye on your levels.
When I get under 50%, I usually check the oil level every few weeks to make sure it's not low. I feel that is only appropriate if going such long intervals between changes.

·
Registered
668 Posts
When I get under 50%, I usually check the oil level every few weeks to make sure it's not low. I feel that is only appropriate if going such long intervals between changes.
I agree with both statements, I went in on my first oil change at 40% and the dealer told me to follow the MM. Of course he still went ahead and changed my oil.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I agree with both statements, I went in on my first oil change at 40% and the dealer told me to follow the MM. Of course he still went ahead and changed my oil.

Of course.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just got my B1 service minder... had 5% on my oil left.. wasn't low on oil either.. Cost me $67.00 total... not bad for full synthetic, tire rotation, and the rest of the checks. btw... after my oil minder gets below 40% I check the oil level every 10% drop just to be safe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Crosstour oil change

I do beleive in the old saying of "pay me now or pay me later". And the pay me later can be very expensive.

I change my oil before 4,000 miles. I use Mobil 1 0W-30 in the winter and Valvoline 5W-30 in the summer. Both are synthetic. I use the Mobil 1 1-110 oil filter.

I do my own oil/filter changes. I also put two strong magnets (from a hard drive) on the side of the filter.

I drained the factory oil at 598 miles and put in Valvoline 10W-30 Premium for 3,000 miles to seat the rings.

My 2010 Crosstour has over 27,000 miles and I never have to add oil between changes. The level has never been more than 1/8 inch below the full line. I know some owners have reported high oil consumption. Maybe it is because they kept the Honda 0W-20 in the engine for 7,500 miles or more and the metal particles caused severe wear of the pistons/cylinders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do beleive in the old saying of "pay me now or pay me later". And the pay me later can be very expensive.

I change my oil before 4,000 miles. I use Mobil 1 0W-30 in the winter and Valvoline 5W-30 in the summer. Both are synthetic. I use the Mobil 1 1-110 oil filter.

I do my own oil/filter changes. I also put two strong magnets (from a hard drive) on the side of the filter.

I drained the factory oil at 598 miles and put in Valvoline 10W-30 Premium for 3,000 miles to seat the rings.

My 2010 Crosstour has over 27,000 miles and I never have to add oil between changes. The level has never been more than 1/8 inch below the full line. I know some owners have reported high oil consumption. Maybe it is because they kept the Honda 0W-20 in the engine for 7,500 miles or more and the metal particles caused severe wear of the pistons/cylinders.
There is no longer any reason to change the oil with the frequency you suggest. The maintenance minder tells you when the oil needs to be changed.

A lot has changed since the time when 3,000 mile oil changes were the norm.

1. Engines are built much better.
2. More efficient combustion means less potential oil contamination.
3. Numerous oil analysis has shown that oil lasts far longer than the marketing efforts of oil companies would lead us to believe.
4. Vehicles monitor many factors that more accurately determine when the oil needs to be changed.

I used to be a big proponent of frequent oil changes but no longer. There is too much evidence that supports it is a complete waste of money and resources.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So while we're waiting on the Maintenance Minder to pop up, should we go under our hoods and check the oil stick? Or does our car not burn oil during that period of waiting on the maintenance Minder to come on?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So while we're waiting on the Maintenance Minder to pop up, should we go under our hoods and check the oil stick? Or does our car not burn oil during that period of waiting on the maintenance Minder to come on?
Yes.

It still makes sense to check your oil level. Don't be surprised if you are a quart low by the time you need an oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here, but just thought I would share my experience with MM. I had a 2008 Accord EX-L before I traded it for my 2011 Crosstour. When I went in for an oil change at 3500 miles with the 2008 Accord, the service advisor asked me why I was there. He explained to me that I needed to follow my MM and it would handle everything. He actually told me to leave and not come back until the car told me to come back. Because of that experience, I have become a loyal fan of that dealerships service department. We also bought my wife's 2011 Pilot Touring from them.

My point is, not every dealer is shady, and the MM really does work well. Those that think you have to still change every 3000 miles are wasting their money. Technology has evolved and continues to evolve that "guessing" you need an oil change every 3000 is no longer the rule.

Look forward to being part of the group!

Dan

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
I just got my B1 service minder... had 5% on my oil left.. wasn't low on oil either.. Cost me $67.00 total... not bad for full synthetic, tire rotation, and the rest of the checks. btw... after my oil minder gets below 40% I check the oil level every 10% drop just to be safe.
Thanks for sharing. My B1 service minder just came up the other day for 2nd oil change (~14k miles on the car). I called two dealers near me in MD and they quoted $179 and $172 grrrh. I complained that the price was high and they said it includes the next oil change for free. I said that was still not reasonable and unless they sharpened their pencil I'd inquire elsewhere. Both declined. One of them said well, you own the top of the line Honda and service is more than for the Accord... My girlfriend takes her TSX to a local Acura dealer that does the same thing for $42. Go figure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for sharing. My B1 service minder just came up the other day for 2nd oil change (~14k miles on the car). I called two dealers near me in MD and they quoted $179 and $172 grrrh. I complained that the price was high and they said it includes the next oil change for free. I said that was still not reasonable and unless they sharpened their pencil I'd inquire elsewhere. Both declined. One of them said well, you own the top of the line Honda and service is more than for the Accord... My girlfriend takes her TSX to a local Acura dealer that does the same thing for $42. Go figure.
Take your car to the Acura dealer as well. I am sure they would be happy to have your service business.

·
Registered
23 Posts

do you mind telling me where in MD? It's not Ellicott City, is it?

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
do you mind telling me where in MD? It's not Ellicott City, is it?
Nope - Rockville and Bethesda. Found out today that the dealer in Germantown does it for $55 out the door which works for me! I can't believe how bad the other two are ripping people off :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts