Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second Crosstour. I loved my 2010. Not so happy today with the 2012.

2010 mileage was never below 21mpg and on trips it was closer to 26.
2012 mileage is 16.4 mpg. Dealer as much as tells me there is nothing that can be done. Told me to change gasoline.

Another minor complaint is that the luggage cover is missing from the 2012 version, a fact that I did not notice til it was too late.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Hi Kulowd

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first post. I also drive a 2012 CT.

As for your poor gas mileage, let me ask a few questions:

1) How many total miles do you have on your CT? How long have you owned it?
2) Was your 2010 CT a 4-wheel drive or just Front Wheel Drive (FWD)?
3) Is your 2012 a 4-wheel drive or FWD?
4) What type of driving do you do? 50/50 City/highway?
5) Are you calculating MPG yourself, or are you using the computer in the car?
6) Are you using any E85 gasoline or additives in your fuel?
7) Are you the only driver of this vehicle?
8) Are you carrying around anything of weight inside the vehicle?

Yes, the luggage cover is missing for 2012. I believe that it is possible to purchase it via the parts department by using parts from a 2010 CT.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The cover part numbers for a 2012 given to me are:

Liner 84400-TP6-A03ZA.
Hooks 84402-TP6-A01ZA (need two).
Shelf 84410-TP6-A03ZA.

will know for certain when they arrive on Thursday or Friday

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am the only driver, this is my second Crosstour and my first was also an all-wheel drive. 80% of my driving is on the interstate. My 2010 never got less than 21 mpg. This one is getting 16.5 I am continuing to monitor the situation til the first maintenance. Current mileage about 4,700 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That means you are filling the tank after driving around less than 300 miles? I can get between 340 to 360 city and just below 400 on highway driving at 75-80 MPH on my 2000 before the fuel light goes on. Seems to be a issue with the car and the dealer should address it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
That means you are filling the tank after driving around less than 300 miles? I can get between 340 to 360 city and just below 400 on highway driving at 75-80 MPH on my 2000 before the fuel light goes on. Seems to be a issue with the car and the dealer should address it.
I average (according the onboard computer) a pretty steady 23.3mpg mixed driving.

My fuel light comes on just after 300 miles normally.

I don't feel like doing the math.

(Compared to my last car, a turbo Volvo with 20+ gallon tank and nice mileage I could go almost twice as far before filling up.)

·
Registered
237 Posts
This has been discussed numerous times on previous threads...

There has been reported quite a bit of variability on the CT's gas mileage.

I get 18 mpg city driving and 24 mpg (@75/80 mph) Hwy driving. Calculated myself as I do not have the Navi package.

Now some ppl can get much better than that and have reported as so, good for them... bad for me / us who's vehicles for some reason do not.

I have a 2010 with 25k+ miles on it. 4wd, Use regular unleaded - lowest octane.(no e85 or additives, etc.. etc.. ) Regular driver, no added or out of the ordinary weight. I use honda oil and filters.

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
This has been discussed numerous times on previous threads...

There has been reported quite a bit of variability on the CT's gas mileage.

I get 18 mpg city driving and 24 mpg (@75/80 mph) Hwy driving. Calculated myself as I do not have the Navi package.

Now some ppl can get much better than that and have reported as so, good for them... bad for me / us who's vehicles for some reason do not.

I have a 2010 with 25k+ miles on it. 4wd, Use regular unleaded - lowest octane.(no e85 or additives, etc.. etc.. ) Regular driver, no added or out of the ordinary weight. I use honda oil and filters.
I also use 87 (Citgo if I can find it, otherwise Sunoco) in my 4WD 2010. I can get 29.8 on the highway not using cruise control... when I use it, I get more like 28+ MPG (this is all according to the Navi trip computer). So far after 15K+ miles, I've averaged just over 21 MPG combined (I've left trip A alone to keep cumulative gas mileage). :confused:

·
Registered
237 Posts
See that's great that you get that kind of gas mileage... I don't... ever get that high of mpg - *shrugs*

I use shell or b/p... not many citgo's or sunoco's around here..

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only sure, true way of determining MPG is simple math - that trip computer is strange - don't know how it determines MPG but it NEVER agrees with my own calculations. I use one of the many apps on iPhone. I record all fill-ups, which really shows average MPG over time. I"ve a 2011, 4wheel drive and get about 19 and some change with typical city/freeway driving. Pure freeway, its about 23 - 24 mpg. I've NEVER achieved 28 + as one viewer just posted.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have to agree with you blackvl.... most ppl on here who do the math themselves have similar mpg's to us... those using their nav comp's... get the crazy numbers...
Wonder why it is so difficult to program those nav comp's to accurately display mpg? Maybe a couple of different calculations... they could do a live real time calc. and one for the fillup of your tank - the overall average of trip a or trip b...

*shrugs*...

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
The only sure, true way of determining MPG is simple math - that trip computer is strange - don't know how it determines MPG but it NEVER agrees with my own calculations. I use one of the many apps on iPhone. I record all fill-ups, which really shows average MPG over time. I"ve a 2011, 4wheel drive and get about 19 and some change with typical city/freeway driving. Pure freeway, its about 23 - 24 mpg. I've NEVER achieved 28 + as one viewer just posted.
Fascinating. I've calculated my mileage by hand three times in 15k miles (drove it like I stole it the first couple thousand miles much to my girlfriend's dismay- dunno if that is a factor or just plain old M-class coronal mass ejections from the sun ;)) and came up with the same average mileage stats as my trip A Nav setting (total mileage). I can calculate a tank vs trip B to see if there's significant variance for giggles I guess...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked my mileage today on the way to the dealer to have them look at the car. 15.7 mpg and this was ALL highway with a very light foot and Marathon gasoline. 15.7 mpg. Arrived at the dealer and they asked what they could do for me and I reminded them about the mileage problem. They said there is nothing that can be done. I never got below 20.5 mpg on my 2010 Crosstour no matter how I drove it and I could easily get about 25 on any long trip. This car, which is in evey way the twin of my 2010 has 60 miles less range on a tank of gas and it appears Honda is not going to do anything about it. I have owned Hondas for decades without every having any complaint. I am blown away by this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the Navi computer is called the Lie-o-meter for a reason. My truck will jump as high as 29mpg (long bed 4x4 ram with a cummins). The wife's honda usually sees around 19 city to 24-25 highway. its not bad but not the best. definately not what the 08 sedan with the 4 banger was getting

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gas Mileage

I have a 2010 CT. Gas mileage has been horrible.

Avg fuel economy 13.0 mpg
Avg in city (est.) 12.2 mpg
Avg on highway (est.) 20.5 mpg
Best fuel economy 22.2 mpg
Worst fuel economy 9.0 mpg
Avg for Regular 13.0 mpg

These numbers are from an iPhone App called Car Care. Luckily my wife mostly drives the car and doesn't do too many miles. Drive a different car to work. The car only has a little more than 7K miles. The dealer said it will improve when the car breaks in. On person told me 5K miles, another said 7K and another said 10K. It has actually gotten worse lately. The first tank of gas seemed to last a long time. I have read online of people resetting the computer to reset the the Adaptive Learning. Apparently Adaptive Learning transmissions burn more gas while it is learning your driving habits and that the car will also burn a richer mix of fuel during break-in. Anyone else gets gas mileage as bad as mine? The dealer ran diagnostics on the car and said everything was normal.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 2010 CT. Gas mileage has been horrible.

Avg fuel economy 13.0 mpg
Avg in city (est.) 12.2 mpg
Avg on highway (est.) 20.5 mpg
Best fuel economy 22.2 mpg
Worst fuel economy 9.0 mpg
Avg for Regular 13.0 mpg

These numbers are from an iPhone App called Car Care. Luckily my wife mostly drives the car and doesn't do too many miles. Drive a different car to work. The car only has a little more than 7K miles. The dealer said it will improve when the car breaks in. On person told me 5K miles, another said 7K and another said 10K. It has actually gotten worse lately. The first tank of gas seemed to last a long time. I have read online of people resetting the computer to reset the the Adaptive Learning. Apparently Adaptive Learning transmissions burn more gas while it is learning your driving habits and that the car will also burn a richer mix of fuel during break-in. Anyone else gets gas mileage as bad as mine? The dealer ran diagnostics on the car and said everything was normal.
I have a 2010 AWD Ct (or 4WD for those that care) and I was told the same thing about the break in period. I was originally told it would be harder on gas for the first 10 thousand km but I didn't see an improvement until about 35 thousand!!!
my mpg now isn't gread but it's not terrible but in all fairness I stopped doing the math. I love everything else about the car and I won't be getting rid of it for quite a while so I figured there was no point in getting worked up over the mpg anymore.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine's still got less than a thousand miles on it, so mileage is likely to be ghastly. Next time I fill it I'll do the math and report back.

LOVE this freaking car, though. After about ten days now I've gotten comfortable with the size, the feel of the steering, the stuff that was clearly different when I got it. Now if it would only snow for once this winter (Saratoga, NY, for crying out loud and nothing) I could evaluate the 4WD/AWD whatever the hell it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mileage

Yes Jac I am having the same experience. It makes absolutely no sense to me. My latest check was 17.2 for the second time. I really babied it this time. Replaced gas with a tankful of Giant Eagle which is "up to 10% ethanol". Fuel light just came on at 258 miles. We will see how that computes hen I fill it up tomorrow. On my 2010 Crosstour I never got below 21 mpg and went for months using giant Eagle regular. What is really pissing me off about this is that the dealer simply blows me off. They never even respond. I've owned a lot of Hondas including 2 Crosstours and never had a single problem so I never had a single complaint. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the VCM feature working ???
I don't think this VCM does anything (or doesn't what it's suppose to do). The 'ECO' is probably programmed to display at and over certain mpg. I was monitoring my Trip Computer on my nav screen and did not notice any significant change in real time fuel consumption when 'ECO' comes on.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts