Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I've been doing my research and started speaker replacements today. First thing done was to get rid of the ANC by disconnecting its wiring harness in back of the head unit. Then the front and rear door woofers were installed and tested to be working. I found the amp (above passenger kick panel) and where the crossovers are supposed to be (behind the console a little below the head unit, and to the left/under the steering column), but the crossovers aren't there. I see their mount, but no crossover. I didn't want to replace the tweeters until I find out what the deal is so the tweets are still stock at the moment.

I'm really quite confused. Are my fronts somehow crossed at the amp? I worked at Ultimate Electronics installing back in the day so I'm not a total newb with car audio (though it has been quite some time).

I've ordered the Haynes manual for this model, but I haven't been able to find the info I need in the online version I can access now. Hopefully the printed manual will have it, but I won't know until it comes in next week sometime.

I do have a 5-channel amp laying around that I can put in if I really need to. It'll definitely sound better that way, but it'd be nice if I can get away without the extra work (even though I feel sure I'll add my 5-channel at some point). If I go that route, I'll need to know which wires to splice into to create my RCA's. Does anyone have the pin-out info for the rest of the connectors (Connectors A, B, and F) in the image below? It'll be good to have regardless since I'm sure an aftermarket amp is going in in the future.
8th Gen: How to completely disable ANC
Rectangle Handwriting Line Font Parallel
Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Number

The tweets in this thing are absolutely unbearable, and the mid / mid-bass is puny. Pretty expected since the speakers are all a decade old now, which is why I dug into it for a replacement. Nothing too outrageous. Just some JBL GTO609c components for the fronts and Infinity Reference coax's for the rears. I own a studio and work as a sound / mix engineer so I really hope my ears are telling me the truth, but I just can't hardly listen to the system as it is.

Has anyone else run into this? Anyone have any ideas to get me going?

I really appreciate any help I can get here, as well as all the help I've already gleaned from other threads in this community.

Thanks again!

ay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

So I've been doing my research and started speaker replacements today. First thing done was to get rid of the ANC by disconnecting its wiring harness in back of the head unit. Then the front and rear door woofers were installed and tested to be working. I found the amp (above passenger kick panel) and where the crossovers are supposed to be (behind the console a little below the head unit, and to the left/under the steering column), but the crossovers aren't there. I see their mount, but no crossover. I didn't want to replace the tweeters until I find out what the deal is so the tweets are still stock at the moment.

I'm really quite confused. Are my fronts somehow crossed at the amp? I worked at Ultimate Electronics installing back in the day so I'm not a total newb with car audio (though it has been quite some time).

I've ordered the Haynes manual for this model, but I haven't been able to find the info I need in the online version I can access now. Hopefully the printed manual will have it, but I won't know until it comes in next week sometime.

I do have a 5-channel amp laying around that I can put in if I really need to. It'll definitely sound better that way, but it'd be nice if I can get away without the extra work (even though I feel sure I'll add my 5-channel at some point). If I go that route, I'll need to know which wires to splice into to create my RCA's. Does anyone have the pin-out info for the rest of the connectors (Connectors A, B, and F) in the image below? It'll be good to have regardless since I'm sure an aftermarket amp is going in in the future.
8th Gen: How to completely disable ANC View attachment 9900 View attachment 9901

The tweets in this thing are absolutely unbearable, and the mid / mid-bass is puny. Pretty expected since the speakers are all a decade old now, which is why I dug into it for a replacement. Nothing too outrageous. Just some JBL GTO609c components for the fronts and Infinity Reference coax's for the rears. I own a studio and work as a sound / mix engineer so I really hope my ears are telling me the truth, but I just can't hardly listen to the system as it is.

I really appreciate any help I can get here, as well as all the help I've already gleaned from other threads in this community.

Thanks again!

ay

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2015 EX-L has the worst sound system I've had in any vehicle I've owned. It's the cabin design more than anything else. The factory speakers are awful. I've had an amp added as well as better speakers, and I've already blown the amp (even though I'm a jazz double bass player, so I don't need hip-hop volume). Yet still the sound is not true to my ear. Good for you to attempt to improve matters, and thanks for letting others know how you fare in your project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Jon. Always good to hear from another musician, though I'm not sure I can call myself that when talking to a jazz cat!

I'm waiting on some more components, but I've decided to ditch the full-range speakers in the rear doors and replace them with some Dayton 6.5" subs crossed at 500hz (the specs state they reach from 35 up to 1100hz). I never really thought about it, but it doesn't make much sense to have full-range in the rears blurring the stereo image when stereo sound comes from the front. 500hz may still be reaching a bit high, but I'm starting there. I plan on keeping the stock 8" sub in the trunk, and power the system with a 5-channel amp.

I'm pressing on and will update as things progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm finding that the sound in my car varies greatly as to whether that back seat is up or down. If you tend to keep yours down because you load music gear in it like I do, then you may need those Daytons. But if you keep your rear seat up, you might have too much bass -- especially if you've got that rear subwoofer cranked up. Oh, unless your model doesn't have the rear subwoofer like mine does. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info on the back seat! I'm going to test them out, seat up and down, and see how they perform. I'll have them on a separate set of inputs so I can dial them in or out as needed. Same thing with the stock sub. I'm curious to hear how they sound in comparison to (andin conjunction with) the stock 8" in the trunk area. I'm also curious to hear how the stock sub sounds with a real amp powering it. Maybe I can dial in a sweet spot between the two. Hahaa!..who knows at this point. This started out with me thinking I would swap the fronts and rears and be done.....Nope!
All this tech can be so great, but it's really getting in my way on this install. So far it sounds much better with no rears and just the front components and stock sub (bearing in mind it still doesn't sound good and sounds pretty awful at higher volumes). It's such a fantastic car with the exception of the sound system.
I too lean toward a sound quality system than a banging hip-hop system.
I got into the business back in the cheesy alt-rock days (around '01 or so) but moved on to the indie-underground math-rock / post-rock instrumental styles pretty quickly after having all my music stolen by the first label I was involved with. These days I find myself listening to much more jazz (chilled-out jazz or the more upbeat New Orleans ragtime depending on my mood).
Anyway, the Daytons will be in on Wednesday so I hope to have something to test out by the weekend. It all depends on if my high-input wiring harnesses come in too. I've only used this amp in the past with low-level inputs and have misplaced the high inputs. It looks like I'll have more luck going the high-level route than using RCAs since I want to keep the head unit stock. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I feel pretty sure it can only get better from here! It just sounds so poor right now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking about adding the AudioControl LCQ-1 loc and eq. It's not too bad at ~ $270 and gives me some fine tuning ability over the simple stock bass / treble control. If everything else I'm trying doesn't work, I guess that's my last step since I really do want to keep the head unit stock. The pics I've seen of aftermarket deck installs don't look even nearly as good as the OEM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all,

8th Gen: How to completely disable ANC View attachment 9900 View attachment 9901

Thanks again!

ay
Regarding the factory tweeters and their "crossover".
I saw a picture of them on Crutchfield
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Motor vehicle Automotive design

Note the little orange capacitor, that's the Crossover for this Pioneer supplied tweeter.
Cutting this thing off, and putting in a proper 12/dB/Oct crossover would do wonders..,18..,even better.

As for the woofer, it's getting "full range" range from whatever factory amp is used.
So.., get a couple of decent 2 way crossovers, with varying X/O points and slopes and see how you like the change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I just had my speakers and amplification changed, keeping the factory CD changer and amenities included.
I opted for Morel Elate Carbon 62a with their crossover, which allows bi-wire option. In the rear, I changed to Morel Coax, powered from the factory head unit for now, keeping the "first rule of Italian driving" in mind.
I decided to use my old Alpine Amps, a 3542 65w/ch to the Elate speakers, and a 3543 75w/ch bridged Mono 300w to an 8" subwoofer.
To be frank, at this point I'm somewhat unhappy with the mid-bass of the Elates, I know these speakers, and I'm starting to think that either they are miswired, causing electrical phase issue, just in the mid--bass, or there is a natural acoustic phase issue.
I'm playing around with different subwoofers and cabinets at the moment. I tried a JL 8, and it didn't quite cut the mustard, I switched to an Alpine 2 ohm sub, and it started showing some results..,but no cigar.
I need something significantly more compliant than most of todays car subs, which seem to be designed for SPL with their exceptionally stiff suspension and low Fs.
For now, I am so much happier with the overall results.., in a word, elated.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts