Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Accord Crosstour EX-L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just developed my first major repair issue on my 2010 Crosstour, just under 102K miles now. My #3 piston has fouled the sparkplug twice, so I had repair shop (not a dealer, but certified Honda tech) take a look. $3500 for complete ring job (all 6), which is apparently an issue with this Honda engine. I suppose I could replace the spark plug (s) as they foul and keep driving, but it won't get any better by itself. Any recommendations? Bite the bullet and have it done? How much further damage can I do by continuing to drive it, now that its burning oil like this?

Thanks for any any feedback!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just developed my first major repair issue on my 2010 Crosstour, just under 102K miles now. My #3 piston has fouled the sparkplug twice, so I had repair shop (not a dealer, but certified Honda tech) take a look. $3500 for complete ring job (all 6), which is apparently an issue with this Honda engine. I suppose I could replace the spark plug (s) as they foul and keep driving, but it won't get any better by itself. Any recommendations? Bite the bullet and have it done? How much further damage can I do by continuing to drive it, now that its burning oil like this?

Thanks for any any feedback!
Have you had a compression test done?
#3 cylinder is one that lays dormant when the VCM deactivates cylinders to conserve fuel. I wouldn't say that piston #3 doesn't need ring replacement, but there has been cases where things were improved by disabling the VCM. I use S-VCM.
This device will keep all 6 cylinders firing 100% of the time. This can allow a Top Tier fuel to clean the combustion chamber and stop the oil consumption.
My steps would be
  1. Disable the VCM
  2. Clean the MAF sensor with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. Remove and spray a few short bursts directly into the electrodes. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
  3. New air filter if needed.
  4. Air intake hose is crack free, clamps tight.
  5. New NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
  6. Inspect spark plug tubes, coils should be dry and oil free.
  7. Ensure each coil is working properly.
  8. Replace PCV valve
  9. Replace EGR valve if there is a rough idle.
  10. Use Full synthetic engine oil. No blends or extended performance oil.
  11. Use a top Tier 87 octane fuel or fuel injector cleaner with unbranded gasoline.
  12. Italian tune up. After these steps take the vehicle on some long highway speed drives. This will help burn off the carbon deposits.

Reactions: WVEX-L and Brizzzey

·
Registered
2010 Accord Crosstour EX-L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nailgrease, thanks for the reply. I don't work on my own car, but I'll run this past my brother, who is a mechanic.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nailgrease, thanks for the reply. I don't work on my own car, but I'll run this past my brother, who is a mechanic.
Hope you find a less expensive solution. Lots of VCM talk on Piloteers.org where we all have V6s.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’ve heard BG induction and engine service is good for our cars as well.
Since disabling the VCM, my engine codes have been a thing of the past. The cleaning that BG service provides, on an engine equipped with VCM, a problems solved would simply reoccur again.

Reactions: WVEX-L

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can hp tuners shut that off or is s-vcm the only way?
VCM will not operate when the engine is cold. The device I use S-VCM, tricks the computer to 165.2°F. This prevents the VCM from coming on. There is rumor that the speed range window in which VCM operates within can be narrowed in the ECU. A driver would simply avoid driving in that window.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is rumor that the speed range window in which VCM operates within can be narrowed in the ECU.
Im going to do a scan and see what parameters there are to mess with. S-vcm costs the same as credits to unlock my car which open up more than just vcm disable. So if I can do it through programing I will. I’ll report back with my own thread.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im going to do a scan and see what parameters there are to mess with. S-vcm costs the same as credits to unlock my car which open up more than just vcm disable. So if I can do it through programing I will. I’ll report back with my own thread.
It be nice to make it activate at a crusing speed of 115-120 mph. I rarely drive that fast. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts