Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the third time I've had my 2010 Crosstour at the mechanics for a fouled plug. Mechanic says the rings are bad. Love my car. Trying to decide if I should have the rings replaced or try to find a newer Crosstour. Do the 2014 and 2015 have the same engine problems as the earlier models? The car has 133K miles on it. When I bought it 4 years ago it had 75K and I was hoping to get over 200K on the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have your mechanic do a compression test on the 6 cylinders. If cylinder 1's reading is much lower than the rest. Its safe to say the rings are bad.
If not there could be other factors in play (ie. clogged/faulty fuel injector, incorrect gap on spark plug, faulty coil). A bad spark can cause oil build up on your plug since its not igniting and burning off. Instead its staying on your plug etc. Same for injectors that are faulty. Could be spraying too much fuel etc. GL

·
Registered
38 Posts
2010 to 2012 v6 engines had the potential for the VCM mismanagement and it sounds like you're no exception. I went through the same thing, however, it happened to me under warranty, so the dealership covered the repairs.

To make those repairs, it's going to be about $3500 (from what I understand). Knowing that a newer vehicle is really costly right now, you have to decide if spending that on a car with 133k miles is a smart move. You plan on keeping it to at least 200k miles, so is $3500 worth it? Did you get a good deal on it when you bought it? Maybe do the repairs. If not, maybe let it go.

Honda took care of my VCM repair at about 75k miles. I'm now at 213k miles with no VMC-disabler or anyhting, so the repair seems to hold up. Maybe have your mechanic bandage up the engine, then call Carvana and see what they'll give you for it.

If you do decide to have it done, make sure Honda updates the engine computer. That's part of the fix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
had the same issue with my 2010 V6 at approx. 100K and Honda took care of the majority of it (I think I paid $500 but we had a free loaner for 2 weeks while it was repaired). I added a VCM disabler after the repair, just couldn't trust it anymore! With car prices the way they are it might be worth the repair cost. Mine was perfect afterwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How much oil is it using? What kind of oil are you using? What's the condition and maintenance of the PVC system? How much blow by is there? Ultimately, if it's just the oli rings and the cylinder is in good shape you can try a piston soak. You can also add a oil catch can to reduce the blow by fouling your plugs. A catch can is really just an additional PVC system that will reduce your plug fouling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A known factory defect causes the rings to misalign and allows oil into the cylinder in the 1st gen v6 engines. I've never heard a good explanation as to the vcm involvement in this, unless it has something to do with the alternative pathway the oil takes during deactivation. My 2010 v6 started with misfires a few months after I bought it, then oil consumption, then a hard misfire so it was time for rings. Unfortunately when they got in there I had a gouged cylinder wall so I needed a new short block and there was a ton of buildup due to years of neglect and the wrong oil by previous owners. It was only a few months past warranty. The cars been great. I love that I can say I have only 30k on the motor. It's one of my dream cars and will die here. I prefer the looks of the 1st gen but I'd buy a 2nd gen too in a heartbeat if I could. Make sure your car or your potential new one doesn't have the drivers side rear quarter panel rust issue. It's from another factory defect and can happen to any year CT. Good luck!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been trying to learn how the vcm ties into the piston ring issue. You say mismanagement do you think it's like physical wear and tear that messes with timing or is it a computer timing thing? I know the oil takes an alternative pathway during deactivation but I've been trying to learn more. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts