Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Cape Cod and was looking into getting an oversand permit for my AWD 2010 Crosstour. It basically allows you to drive your car over soft deep beach sand roads. My car handles the snow wonderfully but Im not so sure how it will do in the sand. Has anyone done any of this kind of driving? They make you deflate your tires to 15psi to drive on the sand.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Did this many years ago with a Jeep Cherokee. Yes, make sure to deflate your tires as you pointed out. I also remember the Jeep doing great when driving over the moist (near ocean) sand. When we tried to venture too far inland into softer sand, we did get stuck. They told us that we had too much weight in the vehicle (5 passengers with luggage). Also remember to get a good car wash, especially under carriage, preferably with a high pressure hose, when you are done. The ocean sand can do terrible things if left to corrode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw a CT on the beach before but it was right after it rained. If the sand is really soft there may be ruts that the under carriage may hit on. We also have a 4x4 blazer that sometimes struggles in the sand and has to be put into 4x4-low. Good luck and post your results :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I am also concerned about the more street performance type tires on my ex-l v6 than you might find on a typical SUV. Not yet sure if I want to take the chance getting stuck with an upset wife and a whiny kid. If I do I will be sure to post.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My experience with sand is that you never want to loose momentum. As soon as you slow down your chances of getting stuck double lol. I've taken civics through sand that I had no business being in :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts