Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To say this has been a very interesting Christmas season for me, while driving across Alabama to head back to Georgia today I got the fun engine light and studder/misfiring engine. I pulled into a Firestone Auto Care Center where the guys placed bets on bad gas since I'd just filled up and they all lost. OBD code was P3497 and it was towed to the nearest Honda Dealer. (2012 EX 113k miles) So what's the over / under on what I'm in for?

I know the code is related to the cylinder system.
Cloud Car Sky Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
200 Posts
I hate to ask what Honda charged. They likely replaced the whole vtec solenoid assembly with spool valve.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this is the breakdown of events. My dad passed away Christmas morning. His body was transported for burial and I drove over for the graveside services. Because I was so close to the in-laws I dropped in for the night (New Year's Eve) and decided to head home on New Years Day (Saturday). I got as far as Florence Alabama and the check engine light came on. The wonderful guys at Firestone Auto Care Center ran the OBD thinking it would be bad gas since I had just filled up. Because it involved the cylinders they advised going to a Honda Dealership. So I had it towed to Greenway Honda of Florence. Where it sat until Monday morning.
So on Monday, they had to run their own diagnostic. They came up with the same code and a price for that fix. BUT they also want to do all the 100k mile service because they also ran the VIN in their system. They also spent time on my cabin air filter and went through the car. I have an independent business do service so I knew it was done. I allow the VTEC switch to be replaced at a whopping $484.70.
Here's where I get pissed and feel taken advantage of. As soon as they say the problem I search it out. It is a three-minute replacement and a $52 part. Video of repair at this link

The breakdown of costs - Shop Charge $61.43, part $51.85, labor $355.21, and storage fee $4.99.

Now the service advisor/manager is bugging me for a review of the service. He shouldn't keep doing that now that I'm home and haven't cooled down. I could have done this without even getting my hands dirty!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize that I am getting older but I must say that dealers have no scruples and repair costs have become incredible. Be honest in your review it is the only ammunition that we have! Best of luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
These are the reasons a few years back that I decided to buy an OBD II scanner to check the codes on the many vehicles I own. We were getting fleeced by dealerships and local shops. That $100 + YouTube has saved us $1000s and prolonging the life of these vehicles has become a top priority.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are the reasons a few years back that I decided to buy an OBD II scanner to check the codes on the many vehicles I own. We were getting fleeced by dealerships and local shops. That $100 + YouTube has saved us $1000s and prolonging the life of these vehicles has become a top priority.
I hear ya on the OBD II. I had a Bluetooth one that was nice but I gave it away to a college kid and needed to buy a new one. Wanna talk about savings? The kid was getting a check engine light but not regularly. I loaned it to him and told him what app to use with it. Wouldn't you know he wasn't screwing on his gas cap all the way? These things need to be gifts for college kids and new car owners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts