Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just spoke with XM and Honda, only to find out that the XM Traffic/Weather feature is not available for the 2012 Honda Navigation unit. I'm a big user of technology in the automobile and am bummed to hear of this lack of essential information on such a beautiful car.

Having just returned from 8 days on the LA freeways, and after traveling to over 180 cities in less than 2 years...I have come to rely on my Garmin for this easily available, and much relied on function. It seemed that it would be a given to find Traffic Information on any car in this price range and with the technological features of the EX-L, but we all know what happens when we "assume."

I know and understand that its a matter of separating the Honda and Acura brands, but hey...we're living in a new century now, and it's a competitive market place. It's hard to find vehicles that don't have power windows and air conditioning, yet there was once a day when those were options that were only available on luxury brands as well. Times change, and manufacturers should change with the consumer demands.

This would not have been a deal killer for me personally because there is nothing to compare with the Crosstour, but it looks like the end result is that it means that I have to carry my Garmin with me wherever I go in order to obtain up to the minute traffic and routing information, and then I have to pull up NOAA or the Weather Channel app on my i-Phone for the latest in weather maps.

Marketing departments can (and often do) kill product sales with these simple to solve solutions. In this competitive marketplace, a successful company will let the users of the vehicle (customers) decide what they want, then make the features readily available. If I want a rear cover in the cargo compartment, let me have it as an option. Don't make me have to call, then visit, then call the dealer to find out the part numbers for a once standard equipment item. Likewise, if I want traffic information on my Navigation system, let me have it for a premium price that I can order on-line, or with a simple phone call. I know that I'm not the only car consumer who seeks simplicity through technology and optional features. Life can be simpler through integration as well as communication that flows freely.

I love the Honda navigation system and find it to be much more intuitive than Garmin or Tom Tom. The ability to navigate by built in speech recognition, as well as the integrated climate control, and sound system is incredible and worth every penny that they are asking...however my goal is to be a Honda customer for life and to recommend this wonderful car to as many candidates as possible. Honda quality and Honda reliability brought me back from the sea of vehicles that surround today's auto buyer, but keeping the loyalty of consumers over the years is a simple matter of assuring us that we are listened to. Sadly, today was their first chance to shine...and they let me go knowing that I was disappointed.

Does anyone know of an alternative?

Should I resort to finding an Acura Nav unit to fit my Crosstour?

Someday a car manufacturer will integrate GPS navigation, climate control, phone, and local traffic with weather conditions together into one unit, and likewise when they remove a piece of standard equipment that compromises safety, they will enable an easy means for those customers who want it to obtain it...of this I am sure.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Does anyone know of an alternative?

Should I resort to finding an Acura Nav unit to fit my Crosstour?
I unfortunately can't really help you with your larger problem... but this question was something that crossed my mind recently as well.

My understanding is that the new navs either coming out, or that will be coming out in the very near future, have almost twice the resolution...

I'm curious to know what is possible as far as a hardware/software swap.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made some good contacts this afternoon and will keep you posted.
Take care.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Last month, I was debating between the Honda Pilot and the Crosstour and eventually decided on purchasing the CT. One of the features that I really liked about the 2012 Pilot was the subscription free FM Traffic updates. The Pilot also comes with a 15 Gigabyte HD, and higher resolution monitor. It also has a 2 Gigabyte CD library (also found on the 2011 Odyssey) that can copy music tracks from CD’s. A feature that replaces the six-CD changer option. I can’t believe it would have been that difficult for Honda to include FM Traffic Updates on the Crosstour, especially on their EX-L NAVI models. Fortunately, here is Kansas traffic is not really a problem, (sometimes a cow wanders onto the highway), so it isn’t as big a need for me in my locale, but still would have been nice. If anyone has found the ability to get the FM Traffic updates, please let us know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts