Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have a new to me 2012 EX-L (no Navi) with high mileage that I just bought. Mileage is high: 185k. But the car has been meticulously maintained. And service records are available from the original dealer up until 20k miles ago. It runs smooth, I’ve had no issues, and before it was purchased had a full maintenance overhaul which took care of timing belt, water pump, etc. I’m reading here I’m seeing all the issues with VCM. How would I know if it’s something I should address or has already been addressed on my CT? I should also note this is my first Honda so learning as I go here!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on the Crosstour!
I personally purchased a VCM Tuner (roughly $95 shipped to me). Install took 3 minutes.
I acquired my 2011 CT via a family member at 61k so I know there's no VCM issues.

I would take it to a shop and have them inspect the spark plugs. If I recall VCM disables one entire side (forget if its Bank1 or Bank2) but it essentially spins 3 out of the 6 (3 on each bank/side).
If your shop can put a small endoscope camera down the spark plug holes they can clearly tell you if one side shows more wear than the other. These cameras go for like $50-80 on Amazon so any competent shop should have one.

If it looks evenly worn, then you should go ahead and do the VCM modification. Ive also seen people sell their VCM modules after they've traded/sold their Crosstours so you could recoup most of your investment (ie. resell for $70shipped on eBay or even on this forum).

Also check to see if there is a VCM module on your car. Best way to know is to look under your hood OR does the GREEN VCM light come on the odometer?

Best of luck!

PS adding the VCM module will only affect your mileage by a small percentage, unnoticeable to the average driver. A healthy engine (PCV Valve / fresh oil / Clean air intake filter) and even tire pressure will increase MPG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts